Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear tires, maybe the drums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tires, maybe the drums.

When I start the car, mostly in the mornings, I put D, and it feels like the tires are stuck on the floor w/o the brakes pedal pressed (specially passengers side). I press de gas pedal or let it go alone and makes a clunk sound when releases I guess. I heard a constant sound like friction inside the drums when it goes on reverse.
    I don't know if it's the shoes or something else. Please help. Thanks.

Only in reverse? Got any more info?

Can be a list of problems:
    Bad drums/rotors
    Bad bearings
    Bad drive shaft
    Bad pads/shoes
    Bad caliper/slave cylinder
    Bad axle CV
    Misadjusted parking brake...

The list gets longer, but if you can give more specifics it would help.

Comment

My best advice would be to pull the wheels off, pull the drums off and visually inspect the brakes. It could be something obvious that broke or fell off. But for us to help you we need more info.

Comment

You can check your wheel bearings by putting the wheel in the air and grabbing it at "12" and "6" (like on a clock), and pushing/pulling alternately with each hand. If there's play, the bearing is likely bad.

Chances are that it's the brakes. Many people don't bother changing their rear drum brakes, so it's entirely possible that you have 20+ year old brakes back there!

A lot of shops will do a brake inspection for free, so if you're unsure what you're doing yourself, you could always have someone look at it. Then you could decide if it's worth it to pay for a repair, or if you want to try it yourself.

Comment

Is the car parked outside? Does it happen all the time or just when it rains perhaps?

Sometimes moisture or rain can flash rust the brakes and lock them up like that overnight. Ive had it happen to a few customer's cars at work.

However, definatly take the other suggestions and check the brakes to be sure they are in safe working condition. Brakes keep you alive on the road!

Also check your brake fluid. If the wheel cylinders are leaking, it could leak on the shoes and degrade the material. If it got bad enough the friction material could just fall off. Less likely, but a possibility.
          ON_N20
          Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

The only way to know for sure is to pull the drum after doing the above mentioned wheel grab-n-wiggle. Just be sure you have alternative transportation before you remove the drums as you will likely have a mess by the time you get them off and would more than likely be unable to reassemble without new parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 92exa6 View Post
              The only way to know for sure is to pull the drum after doing the above mentioned wheel grab-n-wiggle. Just be sure you have alternative transportation before you remove the drums as you will likely have a mess by the time you get them off and would more than likely be unable to reassemble without new parts.
              Yeah, if you have the parts on hand already, it's not so bad. So long as nothing major is broken, then you should be able to reinstall the drum and hit up an auto parts store fairly easily as well.
              1. Park the car on a level surface with the parking brake on.
              2. Break the lug nuts on the wheel, but don't remove them.
              3. Jack up the car, preferrably putting it on a jackstand or jackstands thereafter.
              4. Finish removing the lug nuts and remove the wheel.
              5. Release the parking brake.
              6. Remove the drum from the braking assembly, using a small hammer or mallet for coercion if necessary.
              7. Look for issues, and resolve if necessary.
              8. On the top half of the assembly near the spring and the wheel cylinder, there is a small ratcheting mechanism. Use one hand to move the ratcheting lever out of the way, and use the other to loosen the mechanism by turning the top of the ratcheting wheel inward toward the vehicle. This will make more sense once you see it, the ratchet works in one direction, and you want to spin it in the opposite one to relieve pressure on the brake shoes.
              9. Place the drum back onto the assembly, ensuring it seats as it did prior to taking it off.
              10. Install the wheel and hand thread on the lug nuts.
              11. Lower the car until the wheel just touches the ground.
              12. Finish torquing down the lug nuts.
              13. Finish lowering the car.

Comment

Rear brakes need adj. Or someone adj recently and was over adj

Comment

Like deevergote said, some stores check it for free. I forgot that detail. Tomorrow I'll check them, maybe on a pep boys near my home or any brake shop on the way. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Comment

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hate when these "why does my car do/does not do this" threads end up in no resolution. I just think an answer would be helpful to others in the future

Not busting on op, just saying

Comment

Working...
                    X