car turned on without key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car turned on without key

ok so i know i have a major wiring problem i was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. i was taking off my alternator because my tester said it was bad and in the process my car turned on. all the lights on the dash cam on and the automatic seat belts went up like i had put the key in the on position. i need help and fast if anyone has any ideas.

You crossed the connection and completed it most likely. This is why you unhook the battery.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Always disconnect your battery when working on a major electrical system. If you ground that big red terminal on the alternator with your wrench you will be hurting. Ask me how I know....
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
        Always disconnect your battery when working on a major electrical system. If you ground that big red terminal on the alternator with your wrench you will be hurting. Ask me how I know....
        lol. I'm curious as to how you know.
        Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

it didnt short out anywhere on the alt it sounded like wires cooking under the dash and the alt wasnt even pluged in so the only wire it could have fryed would have been the one going to the battery and now the car wont turn over

Comment

Originally posted by riotstarter1992 View Post
            it didnt short out anywhere on the alt it sounded like wires cooking under the dash and the alt wasnt even pluged in so the only wire it could have fryed would have been the one going to the battery and now the car wont turn over
            Not true at all. If you didn't disconnect the battery and the cable that runs from the battery(+) to the alternator and it just dangled and flapped around, yeah you probably fucked some shit up.

It's hard to say what all you might have fucked up. If the battery cable touched the block, the crossmember or anything that would be considered a ground, good luck. It's a guessing game what all got fried.

Time to break out the multi meter and start checking for power, resistance on your circuits and narrowing down what exactly happened. Do the electronics still work, like stereo, lights etc...?

Did you notice anything spark while this happened? elaborate what exactly you did. Did you disconnect the alternator all together, unbolt it but leave the cable attached,what happened exactly.

Your in for a hassle man. Hopefully you blew some fuses and thats it.

More then likely you burnt up some wiring, and have a serious mess on your hands.

ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY PRIOR TO TOUCHING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL FOR REPAIRS.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

i haddent even disconected the power wire from the alt yet and it was still bolted to the block when it did it i already checked all the fuses and nothing was blown and it sounded like there was a wire cooking under the dash somewhere and yes everything works (lights, radio, ext.)

Comment

Originally posted by riotstarter1992 View Post
                i haddent even disconected the power wire from the alt yet and it was still bolted to the block when it did it i already checked all the fuses and nothing was blown and it sounded like there was a wire cooking under the dash somewhere and yes everything works (lights, radio, ext.)
                if everything works then no problem. put in the new alternator ....after removing both terminal leads from the battery....and go.

if something isn't working after you do that, then write back.
                Last edited by batever; 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                  if everything works then no problem. put in the new alternator ....after removing both terminal leads from the battery....and go.

if something isn't working after you do that, then write back.
                  Hes stating that everything is working, but the car will not turn over.

Op;

You could start with the obvious relays/sensors that stop the car from turning over all together, buth honestly, your probably going to have to go through a process of elimination to figure this out. I hope its an easy fix, but usually its not with these kind of problems.

If the obvious route doesnt yield any results your going to have bust out a multi meter and get to work. Using a multi meter and a repair manual, start checking for voltage, resistance and continuity on the engine harness and operational sensors and grounds. Something is fucked, possibly many things are fucked. If you supplied power to the chassis, on accident, your could have burnt up just about anything. Your going to have to search to find this issue or these issues, whatever it happens to be.

The reason I say this is theres really no way of knowing what all was effected by what you did. It could be a burnt wire, it could be several. It could be a burnt ground, a burnt sensor, it could have fried your ecu, alot of things could've happend when the power crossed.

As an example;
                  I once accidentally grounded a power supply for an amp in the trunk, and it fried the cam sensor/circuit in the engine bay and made my ecu show a cel for bad cam sensor even with a known good sensor and harness. I had to replace the ecu as well, which fixed the problem.

Electrical problems like these are the absoloute worst to deal with.

I imagine something you were fucking with was charged with voltage, since the battery cables were not disconnected. Who knows what it touched, Im assuming your ACC power supply is what your claiming was unplugged?

Im pretty sure theres power there, even though the alternator supplys power to the acc, the battery does as well. There is a diode in the voltage regulator that forces current to leave the alternator and does not allow for current to enter it.

The acc system does function without the car running, so it has to have direct power from the battery. The alternator cannot make voltage while the car is not running. SO, the charge for the acc when the car is off obviously comes from the battery. When you disconnected the power supply from the alternator, you probably left a live wire dangling in the bay. I would have to look at a schematic to know this factually, but thats my guess if you never disconnected anything related to the battery or the cable that runs between the two, and the alternator was still bolted up to the bracket.

Atleast thats how I percieve what your gibberish is describing.

Can you confirm what exactly was unplugged, what was still connected, where the alternator was when this happend (on the bracket, laying on the valve cover etc)
                  Last edited by toycar; 03-22-2012, 09:50 AM.
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by trinistylez View Post
                    lol. I'm curious as to how you know.
                    Well honest mistake really. I was bolting in the positive terminal on my old Ford's battery and the wrench contacted the ground on the car. Luckily I had both hands on the wrench so I only got a jolt. Lesson: don't fuck around with 800 cold cranking amps. lol
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                      Well honest mistake really. I was bolting in the positive terminal on my old Ford's battery and the wrench contacted the ground on the car. Luckily I had both hands on the wrench so I only got a jolt. Lesson: don't fuck around with 800 cold cranking amps. lol
                      I watched a buddy do that on his cb, it didnt zapp him but it did weld the mechanism on my ratcheting wrench

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
                      sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
                      bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

it turned out that it was the negative battery terminal that was causing the whole problem but its fixed now

Comment

Working...
                        X