Spark plug wire unplugged itself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug wire unplugged itself...

So I was driving to the uni today for class, and when I got off the interstate I stopped for the traffic light. Upon starting to move on the green light, my car was sputtering when I accelerated. I looked under the hood when I pulled into the parking lot, and my 3rd cyl spark plug wire was just flopped out on the intake mani.

I know my trunk monkey didn't unplug it, so is that something that just randomly happens?

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

It happens from time to time, usually with aftermarket wires or wires that werent made specifically for that engine. Sometimes it happens after a hard run.
    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
    Pm meX
    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Originally posted by CBAccordA4 View Post
      It happens from time to time, usually with aftermarket wires or wires that werent made specifically for that engine. Sometimes it happens after a hard run.
      I believe thats just the reason.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

Comment

i've always heard of non OEM wires doing that. in the 12 or so years i've had my accord that has never happened to me and i've seen the redline many times. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

same thing happened to me.. i was like WTF!??

it was my 1 cyl.. and i had just finished installing 4 new PLATINUM ngk spark plugs and an oil/filter change.. basic tune up..and i ran it hard.. i was like DAMN did i do that good of a job that it popped off by itself?

but before i pulled over and turned my car off it sounded like an STI lol..i kid not.
          Team DFTFC
          Northern Virginia 703
          Member rides thread

Comment

On one occasion, I noticed my #3 spark plug cap "hopping about" in the hole, I pulled it out, stuck a plug socket on an extension and confirmd my plug was loose. I guess compression gasses (or possibly some other discharge from the cylinder) was doing it, and possibly - in theory, could actually blow a plug cap out of a trube since there is a ring/flange on the plug cap that sorta seals the cap at the top of the valve cover.

Comment

that shit happened to me right before I got my swap done...except it was the coil wire or whatever...I was at a red light and it started to act wierd when I accelerated. when the light turn green it jumped like I slipped the clutch. I pushed it to the gas station I was next to and popped the hood and saw that wire just chilling next to my manifold...I was like wtf...that next week got my h23a dohc vtec in lol

I thought that was probably the first time that had EVER happen to anyone...but after reading this I guess it happens lol go figure

Comment

Originally posted by Bent View Post
                On one occasion, I noticed my #3 spark plug cap "hopping about" in the hole, I pulled it out, stuck a plug socket on an extension and confirmd my plug was loose. I guess compression gasses (or possibly some other discharge from the cylinder) was doing it, and possibly - in theory, could actually blow a plug cap out of a trube since there is a ring/flange on the plug cap that sorta seals the cap at the top of the valve cover.
                In cases like that where the plug is loose it possible that the threads are stripped.

Comment

It's possible... but I hope not.

It seemed to tighten up ok - but yes, the compression washer was compressed on the plug. I'm gonna keep an eye out for it.

(what's the procedure for tightening up a spark plug? Do you just tighten it up until it gets easy again, then back it off half a turn? )

Comment

Working...
                  X