H22 type s...is it worth it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 type s...is it worth it

Is it worth the extra $1000 or so dollars for the type s I mean can't an h22 with less then a grand put into it make close to the same numbers?

Originally posted by alekp92jdm View Post
    Is it worth the extra $1000 or so dollars for the type s I mean can't an h22 with less then a grand put into it make close to the same numbers?
    i prefer closed deck(H22A OBD1) the type S is an open deck(OBD2), it makes more power, but i suppose it depends on your goals and build.
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

"is it worth it" is a question that only YOU could answer.
      I feel the same way, that a base H22A with mods will be just as potent as a Type S for the same or less money. And the OBD1 availability of the base H22A makes it slightly less of a hassle to install. Open/Closed deck isn't really a big deal until you're doing something crazy, like boost (which would really require a resleeve of an H22A anyway, to do it right...) though I do prefer the closed deck design myself as well.

Comment

Closed deck + sleeves for type-s money, if you got it like that.

Thats what I would do anyways.

Either way, closed deck for me.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Thank you iv just seen h22a's for so much cheeper

Comment

The Type S has a better intake manifold, higher compression pistons, better cams, and I believe a polished head from the factory. All that for just 20hp at the crank.

A Skunk2 intake manifold will be at least as good as, if not better than, the Type S piece (as would the Euro R manifold.)
            Some decent "Stage 2" camshafts with corresponding springs will likely outperform the Type S cams ("Stage 2" will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so research and plan accordingly.)
            Those two things, along with a quality ECU tune, may get you to Type S power (though that would be at least $1000 in parts and labor, probably more.)
            Bumping the compression up with new pistons won't be cheap, even if you can do most of the work yourself... and a port and polish definitely won't be cheap, all things considered. But do that, and add a decent exhaust and a high quality header (HyTech is probably the best on the market that's still being made, unless Mugen is still supporting the H22A.) and you could be pushing 250whp (that's damn near 300 at the crank.)

Comment

Damn well thanx deev that's very useful info...Time do start reading and doing more research

Comment

Definitely. Once you go beyond I/H/E, you really need to consider each modification as a part of a whole plan. The parts need to work together to be most effective. I/H/E do as well, but at least those things are fairly minor, and easily changed.

Comment

Ya i don't plan on going to far into it just throttle body intake Mani and maybe cams springs a pistons plus a good tune of course

Comment

That right there is pretty much a full engine rebuild... the only way to "not go too far into it" would be to thoroughly halfass everything!

The minute you open up that engine, you're replacing one piece of a puzzle after another. There's no point in haphazardly doing it, or cutting corners (which could render ALL that expensive work useless). If you ignore one part but upgrade another, the part you ignored could very well choke out any gains that the other upgraded part might have provided. The engine is a giant air pump, and it only works as well as the greatest bottleneck will allow.

Comment

Isn't the Type-S an ATTS engine? Prelude SH guys have had to do some custom fabrication to swap in a base transmission for more serious builds.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        Isn't the Type-S an ATTS engine? Prelude SH guys have had to do some custom fabrication to swap in a base transmission for more serious builds.
                        Yes to a certain degree except the atts system the motor is shapped differently to match with the special transmission it has on it and the oil filter is in a differentspot. With the basemodel the type s sir s spec is in the same spot but with the atts system the oil filter is higher up slightly and to the right more towards the passengers side.

Comment

Right. the ATTS stuff is the transmission. We can't use an ATTS transmission without a fair amount of modification to the car (one guy here has it, and I think he had to halfass a bunch of things to fit it.) That means no Type S or SH transmissions. The engine has some differences, as sparkle mentioned, but none are really significant in terms of fitting the engine into a CB7 with a non-ATTS transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            The engine has some differences, as sparkle mentioned, but none are really significant in terms of fitting the engine into a CB7 with a non-ATTS transmission.
                            That's what I was wondering. I got a look at an SH block when I was shopping for my new car and noticed the differences. Someone on PreludePower was asking around for interest in him making brackets for a group buy, so people could mate base transmissions to their SH blocks. I figured it would be just as much trouble putting an ATTS-configured block into an Accord with a standard F/H transmission.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              That's what I was wondering. I got a look at an SH block when I was shopping for my new car and noticed the differences. Someone on PreludePower was asking around for interest in him making brackets for a group buy, so people could mate base transmissions to their SH blocks. I figured it would be just as much trouble putting an ATTS-configured block into an Accord with a standard F/H transmission.
                              i know the bracket he is speaking of. if he does make one, it would make it easier to use a base model tranny. all does is allow the half shaft to mount to a atts configured block...

Ride List
                              1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                              2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                              newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Working...
                              X