Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

broken and burnt ecu piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken and burnt ecu piece

I couldnt figure out whether to put this here or electronics but I figured this was the more relevant section.

I opened up my ecu because I was curious as to what was inside and found this burnt up piece. It's also almost cracked in half. I ran the ecu in my car and it seemed fine. I never had any issues with it but I only ran it for about 2000 miles.

Anyone have any idea what it is and what kind of problems it could cause?

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

It's a transistor. What it does, I couldn't tell you. At least in regards to the CB. Maybe EGR?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yes its a transistor, its basically like a little switch. A small current flow allows it to control a larger current flow. Blowing up like that looks like it shorted out. Id say its pretty easy to fix. but it looks like some of the traces on the board got fried too and thats a bitch to fix and count on being reliable. Im not sure what that portion of the board controls, but you need to figure out whats up with the wiring in the car that caused that or your replacement is going to do the same thing.

I dont know if its the lighting of the camera, but some other components look like they been stressed too. Just south of that..The yellow polyester capacitor looks damaged (above R112) R112 and the diode D19 looks to have been heated up too. Jumper NF4 looks to be fried a bit also..

Comment

If that resistor is connected to the transistor it's more than likely done. Clean the soot off the board and look for discoloration on the components illinois_erik mentioned. If you can, try to trace one of the legs of the transistor back to the pins on the ECU. Find out which pin is connected to the transistor and you can just look up what that pin does.

I like to think of transistors as relays personally.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

sounds like Q31, they blow frequently, when your wiring is incorrect for certain things.
          Can you tell s exactly which it is?

Also check your IAT I am willing to bet the plastic is melted on the tip.
          MadLab Racing
          Southern Maryland

Comment

I'll take another look inside in just a bit here. I'm going to be pulling the engine back out of the car in a few days here so I'll go over all of the wiring again. I never ran the egr, and pretty much everything went smooth as far as the swap went. Only problem I had was I switched the oil pressure and knock sensor wires on accident.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

tat shouldn't matter that transistor if q31 controls evap system and
              reflects its results to the IAT when discharged. If you get a surge on idle
              you might wanna examine that sensor.

besides that it should operate fine.
              MadLab Racing
              Southern Maryland

Comment

I had an intermittent hesitation every once in a while after running the car for a while and it getting nice and hot. No idle issues though.

Comment

that happens when you plug the IAT connector into the evap purge solenoid.
                  www.850fab.com
                  IG - @850Fab
                  FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

I was able to trace it back to a pin. Assuming I had the ecu facing the right direction it's pin 17 on connector A. The pinout I found on google says its for the IAB. If I had it facing the wrong direction its pin 9 and thats IAC

Comment

Working...
                    X