CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
<1990Accord>
CB7tuner Member

<1990Accord> is cool... so far.
Car is Whining..

I have a 1990 accord automatic and i have this problem, my car has been making this whining sound from around the engine area. I don't think it is my tranny since it does it in neutral still. and it is rpm related not speed. It kinda sounds like a supercharger but i don't know. I searched around and saw it could be water pump?i dont know, but if anyone else has an idea input would be appreciated
<1990Accord> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Father Time
NW Chat Nazi

Father Time is cool... so far.
Does it get worse when you turn the wheel? It could be your PS pump, mine was making a slight whining sound when it started going out and got a little louder when I turned the wheel.

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.
Father Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Tell your car to stop being a baby and grow up!

Does it respond to steering wheel input? If it whines louder when you turn the wheel, then it's likely to be the PS pump. If not, the water pump MAY be the culprit. I don't know if a failing alternator would whine, but you can always have a local autoparts store test that for free to find out.

Also check for any air leaks in the intake system. That could produce a whining sound.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
<1990Accord>
CB7tuner Member

Thank you for all of the reply's but i do know turning the wheel does not make the noise. It just might be me but it also seems to get worse once the car is warmed up to.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
<1990Accord>
CB7tuner Member

At idle it doesn't really make the whining noise it is about at 2.5K to 3K rpm is when you really start to hear it.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
jay92889
CB7tuner Member

jay92889 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <1990Accord>
At idle it doesn't really make the whining noise it is about at 2.5K to 3K rpm is when you really start to hear it.
I've got the EXACT same problem as you on my automatic and it's got me baffled as well. It's like some bearing noise or something. It sounds like an old Ford power steering pump, super whiny, especially as you rev it. It's probably not going to be your alternator or power steering pump I'm sure, though they could make similar noises. I've tested and ruled them out on my car.

I've always suspected something in the trans, or crank area since I've got 250k on it and it could be a bearing or explain why my trans shifts so poorly.. but I'm still clueless.. It sounds like crap though.
jay92889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
alkoholikwun
CB7tuner Member

alkoholikwun is cool... so far.
sure its not your intake, haha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: