No announcement yet.

Test Drive: Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2.0T Genesis is pretty much intended to be a tuner car. I've read articles and interviews where Hyundai has openly suggested that the ECU is easy to crack.

It's a lame duck in stock form. That can be seen on paper. But it'll be a good car to play with. For $23k, I agree... a bit much. A factory tuner car would be GREAT under $20K (the original SRT-4)
    The 2.0T is the new 240sx... or even better, a Silvia for the US.
    The V6 is a Z competitor... sort of.

Hyundai is still a bit behind the times, but they're going quickly in a nice direction. You know how I like the company... but I'm still waiting for a REAL car from them. They're way closer than they were 10 years ago. They're progressing at a speed much akin to Honda's, I feel.

Comment

i drove a friends 2.0t with 1600 miles on it, completly stock, it felt like a regular car, could not really tell when boost kicked in, i took a chance and raced him in my 95 jdm h22 with lsd, i thought he was going to smoke me but i got him by like half a car, but i know once he chips it and do a few tweks to it, i have no chance

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        First, this car has an awesome exhaust note. It is not as course or nasally sounding as a Z or G...

...It also doesn't have the truckish sound to it that the VQ used to have.
        Go to hell, Scott.

So, IF you were serious on either a 370z, or a 3.8 coupe. What would it be?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
        Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
        NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          The 2.0T Genesis is pretty much intended to be a tuner car. I've read articles and interviews where Hyundai has openly suggested that the ECU is easy to crack.

It's a lame duck in stock form. That can be seen on paper. But it'll be a good car to play with. For $23k, I agree... a bit much. A factory tuner car would be GREAT under $20K (the original SRT-4)
          The 2.0T is the new 240sx... or even better, a Silvia for the US.
          The V6 is a Z competitor... sort of.

Hyundai is still a bit behind the times, but they're going quickly in a nice direction. You know how I like the company... but I'm still waiting for a REAL car from them. They're way closer than they were 10 years ago. They're progressing at a speed much akin to Honda's, I feel.
          With the NVH it isn't suitable for anything IMO.

Also, the ECU might be easy to crack but it has cast pistons and rods, and a lower flowing head than the "performance" versions of that engine. Tuner car or not, the vibration from that thing is bullshit.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
            Go to hell, Scott.

So, IF you were serious on either a 370z, or a 3.8 coupe. What would it be?
            Haven't driven a 370Z but given the choice, I am supposing the Z would probably get the vote. I like the way it looks better, and it is lighter with more power, and should be more refined and more capable.

Of course the other car I really like in that price bracket would be a Mustang GT Track Pack. It costs a few thousand more, but is as fast as the Z, handles awesome and is just a sweet all around car.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
              Haven't driven a 370Z but given the choice, I am supposing the Z would probably get the vote. I like the way it looks better, and it is lighter with more power, and should be more refined and more capable.

Of course the other car I really like in that price bracket would be a Mustang GT Track Pack. It costs a few thousand more, but is as fast as the Z, handles awesome and is just a sweet all around car.
              I heard american cars this time around can finally turn!

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
              Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
              NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
                I heard american cars this time around can finally turn!
                And the Mustang still uses a live rear axle.

Comment

Working...
                X