Bought a 94 NA, your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a 94 NA, your thoughts?

Hey guys, I wanted your thought on the NA? I bought a NA over 40 miles from my house that has supposedly a rod knock. I hear the knock, but I don't see metal shavings in the oil. When I got home it sounded like the knock got quieter. The miata ran fine driving down the highway and still had oil when I got home. When I first listened to the car from a cold start, no knock until it warmed up. Once the car got warmer the knock became louder. When I rev the engine it didn't really sound like it got worse, but any way I'm not really thinking it's a knock, but I haven't pulled the oil pan yet. The previous owner said his grandfather replaced the timing belt, and the clutch I believe. My thought was could the belt or tensioner be causing the knock noise? If you'd like to see a video let me know I can record one of the noise.

My plans are to learn to drift with this car so I thought I would buy something cheap. Here in KC 240s, Fox bodies, Beemers, basically most drifting cars go for $3000-4000 and most aren't even in good shape especially the 240s, they are overpriced for crap condition. So I started to look at Miatas because they were the cheapest around my area at a fair price. I bought the miata for $1k and it's really not that bad of condition besides what I said about the knock.
    For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

The NA is trash, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

But seriously, a rod knock is something that you can hear immediately when you start the car...usually. How many miles on the oil? You could send a sample to Blackstone for them to do an analysis on it.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      The NA is trash, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

But seriously, a rod knock is something that you can hear immediately when you start the car...usually. How many miles on the oil? You could send a sample to Blackstone for them to do an analysis on it.
      Me and my friend are thinking it's something else, not a actual rod knock. We started the car earlier and it wasn't making any noise. When it warmed up it started making the noise, but then went away after letting it sit longer. Why do you think the NA is trash, bad model or something?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Put some 91-93 octane in it and see if something changes. People often advance the ignition timing for a 10hp gain, and it’ll knock with 87.

Still, $1000 for a 94 is fantastic. I paid nearly 3x that for my 90 that was in an accident, and I honestly got a great deal!

If you plan on autocrossing it, be very careful what mods you do. It’ll be a beast in normal classes, but a few braces will put you up against much faster cars. I put the Flyin Miata frame rail braces on my car, and I’ll never be competitive at an autocross event given what class that would put me in. BUT, those braces completely changed the car! I highly recommend them if you aren’t looking to compete.

Also, I think sonikaccord was being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Put some 91-93 octane in it and see if something changes. People often advance the ignition timing for a 10hp gain, and it’ll knock with 87.

Still, $1000 for a 94 is fantastic. I paid nearly 3x that for my 90 that was in an accident, and I honestly got a great deal!

If you plan on autocrossing it, be very careful what mods you do. It’ll be a beast in normal classes, but a few braces will put you up against much faster cars. I put the Flyin Miata frame rail braces on my car, and I’ll never be competitive at an autocross event given what class that would put me in. BUT, those braces completely changed the car! I highly recommend them if you aren’t looking to compete.

Also, I think sonikaccord was being sarcastic.
          I don't plan to compete any time soon, I don't even think they have anything in KC for at least drifting. What's the frame rail braces do, is it to keep the car from twisting?

Also before the ad gets taken down here's the car: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ct...473002229.html

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Looks good! Salvage title and engine issues, the price makes sense. Still, you could probably triple your money if you fix it up!

The leaky top is probably just an adjustment issue if there’s no hole in it. Looks to be in decent shape.

The Miata is terribly floppy. The frame rails tighten it up a good deal. The Xbrace, fender braces, rear subbrace, and a roll bar would make it stiff as a board. I plan on all but the xbrace on mine eventually.

Comment

Working...
            X