EXT: Leaky Trunk Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Leaky Trunk Fix

are you guys tired of having a swimming pool in your trunk after a rain? are you fed up with the mildew and mold that eventually grows in unknown damp spots in your trunk? are you simply frustrated that water enters an area where it shouldn't damaging things like the trunk floor board, subwoofers, and personal belongings? that's how i feel with my 92 accord until i figured out how to stop it all from happening. the fix is easier than you think.

i've had my leaky trunk for a while now. many told me that my taillight gaskets are bad or my trunk rubber liner wasn't doing its job. this was not the case here. my leak came from the rear deck near the trunk hindges on both sides. i thought my rear windshield seal was to blame but it wasn't.

with more research, and a newly acquired service manual, i found out that the chrome trim that lines the rear windshield has holes used for fastening that lead directly into the trunk. these holes are lined with gaskets that keep water from coming in. i found that my gaskets were in terrible shape. the direct exposure to the sun and the mere age of our cars is to blame for this failure. this is the entrance point of my leak. now let's fix it!

WARNING: do at your own risk! i'm not responsible for your actions.

to remove the chrome trim, i referred to my trusty honda serive manual. here is what you need to do to remove the trim. be careful not to loose any parts or clips. (NOTE: you don't need to remove the whole trim piece. you can remove just the lower trim and move it out of the way. i removed the whole piece for clarity).

after removing, i found the entrance point of my leak. these holes line the whole side and if they are not properly sealed off, they will let water in the trunk.

since our cars are about 12-15 years old, the gaskets that line these holes are aged and are unable to seal properly. to remedy this, i removed the old gasket material with a scrapper...

...and put new gasket maker sealant prior to reintallation of the chrome trim.

after reinstallation, let the sealant dry adequately before setting out for a drive. so far my trunk is dry as a bone. just remember that this only fixes the trim leak. the tailight gaskets, trunk rubber liner, and even the rear windshield seal can still present leaks. now hopefully soon we all can have dry leak-free trunks!
    Last edited by timmy0tool; 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

nice DIY...i kno my trunk leaked like a sieve lol, mine turned out to be my taillight housings tho.
    In memory of Jameel Johnson 4.30.05--You will never be forgotten...

MY Car

HydroDunk Mixtapes...check it out

Comment

Yeah mine leaks too it sucks. Once its nice out im gonna take all the panels off in the rear and have someone wet it with a hose and Research

Comment

Mine leaks but I think it's from my tailight =\
        No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

Nice post, I thought I sealed the tailights properly but it still leaks. I'll check these, thanks

Comment

nice! i too have a wet trunk but thats because i dont have a antena(sp) on right now!!!

JDMED

buy my jdm part
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

the rubber trunk lining is still good on mine, not sure about the tailights. this might be it. the problem is with mine is that i cannot find the area of where it exactly leaks. so after it rains, the stuff near my sparetire and carpet are moist and there are also condensation on the top of the trunk.
              this might be a start though.

i can probably paint that part of the chrome trim also
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

awesome thats where mine was leaking from thanx for your diy ive been trying to figure it out for so loooong

Comment

Originally posted by grey92ex
                  awesome thats where mine was leaking from thanx for your diy ive been trying to figure it out for so loooong
                  you're welcome! i'm glad to see some people benefit from my findings.
                  1cor10:31
                  - 92 LX coupe
                  - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

i can never get the chrome trim off without breaking the clips.

i have to get all new clips from the honda dealer as well as some of the chrome pieces.

good DIY though, just curious how to get off the chrome trim without busting the clips. also, what page is that thing on in the manual you have posted?
                    Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                    2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                    2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

actually, i think my tailights gasket things are leaking.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

hey very nice DIY now all i have to do is go buy some gasket material and ill be set
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I have to look through all these areas because my car leaks bad! The mildew smell keeps comming. I drive with my windows down and my back seats down. Park with the windows when I can. Spray car scents and other crap. Does anybody know how to get the smell to leave?
                          My Ride!
                          Anti-Idiot Crew #1

Comment

Originally posted by JDM4DOORLX
                            I have to look through all these areas because my car leaks bad! The mildew smell keeps comming. I drive with my windows down and my back seats down. Park with the windows when I can. Spray car scents and other crap. Does anybody know how to get the smell to leave?
                            Same with me. Water gets under the carpet or on top of it in the back seat on the floor and I have no idea where it's coming from. My trunk doesn't leak but mine smells all mildewy after its wet and all that. I wish I knew what to tell ya.

I use febreeze and it usually works.
                            Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                            2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                            2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                              actually, i think my tailights gasket things are leaking.

One of my outer taillights was leaking too. I finally was able to verify this by popping off all the access panels and feeling the gasket after a hard rain. It was damp and I could see a little bit of water on them! When I finally popped them out it was shocking to see how dry and brittle they had become. I think the reason the outer corner tail light gaskets fail, is because the gutter that runs alongside the trunk opening drains directly on top of this gasket. 10+ years of that happening will wear just about any gasket out. You can kind of see in the pic that the leak comes in from the bolt holes in the gasket, since that's the part that would get compressed the most.

I got mine for $13 a piece from Honduh. Pricey sure. But it's cheaper than repairing a rusted out trunk, and I shouldn't have to do this again for another 13 years

Here is a pic of the old vs. new gaskets.
                              Last edited by Prez808; 03-04-2005, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X