Stuck Caliper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Caliper...

From a few side comments in other threads, I think I have a stuck brake caliper on the front passenger side.

That brake sounds like it is "rubbing" about a quarter of the time, especially at slow speeds. I probably just can't hear it at high speeds. It's been that way for about a month.

But I searched for "stuck caliper" and couldn't find any threads that address it directly.

1) How can I tell if I have a stuck caliper?

2) How do I fix it?

I still have adequate braking.

Thanks, everybody.

I am no expert, but I would check the usual suspects; rotor, caliper, lines, prop valve, BMC. You should try taking a look at the whole brake assembly on that side. Check the lines, sometimes they fail internally, making it difficult to detect. Also make sure the rotor is not warped or cracked. If you have the funds you might consider having the caliper rebuilt or purchasing a new one. My brake knowledge consists of changing my pads, calipers, ROH conversion, and a rear drum to disc conv. so I can comfortable change out the parts, but am a little lacking in the diagnosis department. Hope this helps you some.

Comment

Pop the caliper off. If the brake pads are wearing unevenly (usually one will be almost gone) then you have a stuck slide pin. Take the slide pins out, if they're stuck - you've got your answer. If they're rusty, you've got your answer. I would suggest replacing the entire caliper, and slide pins (Honda carries the slide pins, I don't believe Autozone had them).

Make sure you get Akebono or Nissin calipers, the same as what you already have. Nissin will say NISSIN Akebono has a circle stamp on it, kind of hard to read.

Comment

to quickly check just jack up that part of the car, in your case front passenger side and with the car in neutral try and spin the wheel. You can also tell if the brakes are being applied after a longer drive by the amount of heat given off of that wheel, be careful it may be too hot to touch.
        1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
        newer race video,older race videos
        1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
        1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

same thing happened to me, the slide bolt got stuck and broke, and i had to drill it out and buy new slide bolts, good luck man, but my pads were worn unevenly

Comment

Sometimes you just need that stuff to make the brake pads stick to the caliper.......they might not be going back and drag............

Comment

I have the same problem. I can't get the damn Slide Pin to come out. I just ordered Dewalt impact wrench that should take that POS out.

i'm not even going to drive my car til this fix. My rotor have small scratch on it already from stuck caliper

oh by the way i have no pad left what so ever

Comment

You might have better luck if you search Seized Caliper. I recommend jacking the car up, taking the tire off, putting it in neutral letting it spin or even having someone press the brake and see if its moving. If its the slides that have seized then just buy the reseal kit, take some heat to the sliders and work them free.

Good luck
                "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

My car had a stuck front right caliper... I chewed through a set of pads in about 1500 miles... so I went 5 lug

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                  X