Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

91 w/ transmission problem and idle problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 w/ transmission problem and idle problem?

I just bought my 91 yesterday for $700. I think it needs an iacv, the idle throbs (only when not moving though), but I'm not sure. My 00' civic had a bad iacv but the idle didn't throb, it just was different every time I stopped. The throbbing idle went away after about 2 hours of driving though, and started again after I shut it off and turned it back on. The transmission grinds going into third, I'm not sure what's causing this though. It doesn't pop out, it shifts smoothly into every gear, but second and third take a little bit more effort (and a few times fourth too) and third grinds going into (but not coming out of) gear, no matter how fast I'm driving or how fast the engine is running. I also have a dead gauge cluster but I'm not too worried about that for now. Other than that, the car is fine (or at least I haven't noticed other issues).

Idle issue could be numerous things but the IACV or FITV should be checked. I'd check the site for other answers as there are many causes.

The grind into 3rd is most likely a bad syncro. I would check the tranny fluid first and make sure you use Honda fluids. You can try double clutching but it is still a bad syncro and nothing you can do but try to change the defective part.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      Idle issue could be numerous things but the IACV or FITV should be checked. I'd check the site for other answers as there are many causes.

The grind into 3rd is most likely a bad syncro. I would check the tranny fluid first and make sure you use Honda fluids. You can try double clutching but it is still a bad syncro and nothing you can do but try to change the defective part.

Best of luck.
      Ok, thanks. I'll check the iacv and fitv tonight, and I called a few shops around here to see how much the synchro would be and the lowest I've gotten so far was around $1000. I'm having my cousin help me replace the tranny fluid tomorrow after work to see if that helps. The iacv, from outside, looks like it's never been touched, so I think I'll clean it even if it's not the problem.

Comment

Ok, so I went to leave and it wouldn't shift. I think it's the slave cylinder but I'm not sure, I know that it wasn't replaced when the clutch was replaced back in January. The clutch still has pressure but doesn't engage all the way and doesn't push back as much.

Comment

So I went and got a slave cylinder, got home and went to put the car up on the jack, and I the car is too low for my jack. Right now the car is about 1" off the ground along the sides, are there any jacks that would fit? If not, where is another safe place to jack up the car?

Comment

Get two pieces of 2x4 wood.

Place each 2x4 in front of the front wheels.

Drive onto the 2x4.

Your car should be high enough to get the jack under it now.

Comment

Yay!! It worked! Thank you!!

Now for some confusion... It wasn't the slave cylinder. There's something (a valve?) in between the master and slave cylinder that I think is leaking (hard to tell, everything is wet) but I'm able to drive the car, my father got in and pumped the clutch, started it, and it drove fine (we drove it about 5 miles, stopping multiple times). He thinks there's air in the line, but has never worked on a Honda. I'm going to bleed the line and see if that helps. One quick question about the transmission, how do I check the fluid? It looks like there's supposed to be a dipstick, but there isn't one. If there should be one, where can I buy a replacement?
              I cleaned the iacv and fitv earlier, cleaning the iacv helped, but didn't fix it. I ordered a new iacv and that should (hopefully) fix the issue.

Comment

No dipstick on standard transmissions, sir.

There's a fill hole and a drain hole. You have enough fluid when the full bolt starts to dribble on a flat surface. If you're doing a fluid change, it's a bit more than 2 quarts.

Eric The Car Guy does a DIY on bleeding a clutch. YouTube his channel.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  No dipstick on standard transmissions, sir.

There's a fill hole and a drain hole. You have enough fluid when the full bolt starts to dribble on a flat surface. If you're doing a fluid change, it's a bit more than 2 quarts.
                  Ok, thanks, I'll have to do that Monday when I'm off work. Hopefully tomorrow I can fix the idle so the car is drivable, my iacv should be in by 2:00

Comment

So... I replaced the iacv ($220) and it helped (a little bit, not enough though), but definitely didn't fix the problem. The idle is still surging, and the car still jumps a little (probably from idle) at low speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemc422 View Post
                      So... I replaced the iacv ($220) and it helped (a little bit, not enough though), but definitely didn't fix the problem. The idle is still surging, and the car still jumps a little (probably from idle) at low speeds.
                      Check your idle screw.

It may have backed itself out. If so, screw it down and put some grey gasket goop on it to keep it from loosening again.

Comment

Ok so I got it idling smooth now (the white plastic piece in the fitv had no tread, it kept popping out) and it drives good, except for in 1st/2nd gear it still occasionally jumps, and the idle seems low (I think it's close to stalling, I know that it shakes at idle because it's too low, but my tachometer doesn't work) how do I know when the idle is good now? Do I just adjust the idle screw until it stops shaking?

Comment

Oh, and double clutching makes the grind into third go away, and it makes it easier to shift into the other gears, so I think I'll just do that until I can afford to rebuild the transmission

Comment

Working...
                          X