X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Fire TV/Stick?

So anyone on here have one?

And if so are you running Kodi/XBMC?

I bought one last night as I was talking to a friend about it and was intrigued by the benefits that it has.

He said that he paid $90 for his as it comes loaded and ready to go but I read up on it and its really easy to mod so I bought mine straight from Amazon.

Just wondering if anyone on here has one and what they think about it.

Good night cB7!

My girl has a roki. It's pretty cool.

I think she paid $50, it basically turns your regular TV into a smart tv.
    Originally posted by cb7dazz
    And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    ...for example

Comment

You mean Roku?

Yea that is an option too. I believe the firestick is a little more powerful but its the same thing im sure.

Comment

Yea i bought one and installed Kodi onto it. Best thing ever now I just pay for Internet instead it and cable tv.
        93 Honda Accord Lx
        Check it out A.O.M. 11/2014

Comment

I use exodus for TV shows/ movies

Sports devil for live sports

Raw maintenance to clear out thumbnails cache etc...

To get started look up how to put Kodi onto the fire stick. Once that's done I install fusion which is a tvaddons repo comes with exodus.
          93 Honda Accord Lx
          Check it out A.O.M. 11/2014

Comment

I always just assumed the Fire Stick was basically just Amazon's equivalent to the Google Chromecast. I suppose in a way it is, but it really does seem like it's more of a little computer!

What sort of functionality does Kodi offer? I looked into it a bit, but it seems as though it's primarily used for streaming video from another device. If there's a way to watch actual TV (either pirated streams, or legitimate streams), I'm quite interested!

Comment

Mike that is definitely what we have here.

The roku/firestick/chromecast are all devices that are meant to turn a regular tv into a smart tv. It has Netflix, Hulu etc. Never needed it as my streaming is done through my ps3 and plex server.

However one been turned onto the fact that when you install kodi and install repositories, you can then essentially stream tv, sports, and movies. And that includes movies still in theaters.

I'm really about this cord cutting because cable is useless. If this helps push Jenna over the edge, I'll be happy. They also sell a Amazon fire box which is like a mini htpc but the stick handles enough not to warrant the box in my opinion. Mine will be here tomorrow so I'll update this thread on my results.

Comment

I'll have to look into doing it to my Chromecast. It seems the Fire Stick is a better candidate, but the Chromecast is moddable, it seems.
                I have basic cable, but only because it ends up being $1 more per month than internet alone. For $12 a year, it's worth having it for the handful of times I actually watch it (and when people come over, watch my pets, etc... "normal" people like "normal" television.)

We only use the Chromecast for streaming Netflix from my phone to the TV in the bedroom. It's useful for that, and worth the $40 we paid for that alone I feel... but if we can turn it into a streaming device that will allow us to watch anything (like Arrow, Flash, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Blacklist...) I'll be very happy! We used to download stuff regularly, but Comcast has been tracking piracy, and sending threatening emails to people caught doing it. They detected an episode of Blacklist that I downloaded via torrent, and sent me a warning. 3 warnings, and they cut off your internet (no bueno when I need it for school!) They don't seem to care about streaming piracy, though. Only downloading.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  I'll have to look into doing it to my Chromecast. It seems the Fire Stick is a better candidate, but the Chromecast is moddable, it seems.
                  I have basic cable, but only because it ends up being $1 more per month than internet alone. For $12 a year, it's worth having it for the handful of times I actually watch it (and when people come over, watch my pets, etc... "normal" people like "normal" television.)

We only use the Chromecast for streaming Netflix from my phone to the TV in the bedroom. It's useful for that, and worth the $40 we paid for that alone I feel... but if we can turn it into a streaming device that will allow us to watch anything (like Arrow, Flash, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Blacklist...) I'll be very happy! We used to download stuff regularly, but Comcast has been tracking piracy, and sending threatening emails to people caught doing it. They detected an episode of Blacklist that I downloaded via torrent, and sent me a warning. 3 warnings, and they cut off your internet (no bueno when I need it for school!) They don't seem to care about streaming piracy, though. Only downloading.
                  Yea the fire stick is a more robust unit than the chromecast or roku. \

I never paid any of them attention as I have no need to cast my phone stuff to a tv, and like I said I setup a PLEX server at my house so I stream dl content to my tvs through that and then use my PS3 to stream netflix/amazon prime/crackle etc and I have a Sony Bluray player in the bedroom that has apps built in that actually kind of suck LOL. If I had the money id like to pick up a 2nd Ps3 or a ps4 and use that instead as its such a great media center.

You should be able to do it on chromecast, as with the firestick there is no modding or hacking. You simply load it up on the tv, go into settings and set it to allow installing 3rd party apps, go to your pc, open a cmd prompt, pull up the device, and then push the apps you want to it, namely kodi. Then you can do the rest from your tv except for a small workaround for fixing buffering issues on 1080P mkv, the rest is just setting up the firestick on the tv.

Chomecast is Google and so I know it allows you to sideload apps.

Yea when I had Comcast in GA, they were bad about downloading. No one streamed anything back then but I got a few notices for downloading.

These days all my dl is done through a private tracker. So they can technically see what I do but I use Cablevision and have yet to recieve a notice and I have downloaded terabytes of shit.

Yea as it stands, streaming is still off their radar but obv as more people start doing this you know the rest of the story.

All I know, is we have a reg cable package, not "basic" but the usual cablevision promotional package with internet and phone. They just sent us a letter telling us they love us and want to raise our rates by only $15. Gee thanks!

We are still waiting for a supervisor to call back. It's such a fucking scam. I read an article in Wired maybe like 7 years ago that talked about cutting the cable because cable companies were greedy and with all the bs blackouts they do and the fact that you're always limited on choices since there are only a few companies, it's just a nightmare.

Been waiting to make the switch, but I need to have a good source for certain TV like AMC.

Wife watches more tv shit than I do. Alexa and I could survive off of torrents and movies lmao.

Comment

Play Station Vue. Starts at 30$ a month for 50+ live cable channels.
                    Originally posted by chessboxer
                    We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
                    Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

Didn't know that came with cable channels.

Interesting, but the Amazon stick is a one time payment of $40.

All the streams are free(there are paid subscription services) but I am trying to keep it free.

Comment

For that, I find that my desktop is still the superior option. Free streaming from pirate streaming sites or directly from most network sites. AdBlock Plus removes all ads, for commercial-free viewing! I gave up trying to figure out an inexpensive and effective wireless method of piping audio and video to my TV (I'm sure there's a way), but a long HDMI cable does the trick for me.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I gave up trying to figure out an inexpensive and effective wireless method of piping audio and video to my TV (I'm sure there's a way), but a long HDMI cable does the trick for me.
                          Amazon fire stick brah LMAO.

I have it setup and it's pretty good.

Granted sometimes the links are dead but its just a matter of finding good repositories.

Like you said, a lot of free streaming from the networks which you can dl their apps.

Using KODI, you can access a lot of pirated shit and also setup a network solution using UpNp which is what I did.

It connects with PLEX and I stream 1080P flawlessly with full dts.

I was going to do the HDMI cable route but it requires 75 ft of HDMI cable and I don't really want to run it(I do have the cable lol)

Comment

I guess ill update the thread like I promised-

so far I like it. Like I said, I haven't found a solid add-on that has 1080p movies, or cam releases, but I have some pretty good add-ons so far.

I installed super-repo and another repo I can't remember.

I was watching Israeli tv the other day.

I like that it combines live tv streams, pirated movies, and my own plex server into one system so it will be easier for my wife to find something to watch without having to use the PS3 and turn on a bunch of stuff. All in one neat package.

Comment

How much of a hassle is it to find decent pirated movie and TV streams?

Comment

Working...
                              X