No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked on this car again today. I had a very rewarding day with it.

The new battery I put in a couple weeks ago. It has the right battery in it now. The one I pulled out was too small.

Old EGR valve.

New EGR valve installed.

Removed IACV. Screen was completely clogged.

IACV cleaned.

I also pulled the throttle body off, cleaned it and replaced the gasket. No pics. Not much to see.

It comes up on high idle when it's cold now without an erratic idle. Just like it should. And once it starts warming up it idles down perfectly. I was very happy to hear it start up and go through the idle stages perfectly. Once warm it idles at 900rpm.

I can hear it run just a little rough at idle once completely warm. I know it needs an ignition tune up and I'm sure it will run smoother after. Not that it's that bad just that I notice. You really have to listen for it. So an ignition system service is coming up soon.

Comment

So now I have a coolant leak. I think it's the hose below the throttle body. Which is a pain to replace. None the less I ordered as bunch of hoses from Honda. I need to update the cost totals.

Anyhow, I got hoses for the breather on the valve cover also.

Comment

Changed the o ring for the water outlet.

Put on a rebuilt distributor I built over a year ago. New oem seal and o ring.

New NGK spark plugs.

Standard distributor cap and rotor.

NGK wire set.

Motorad oe temp thermostat and gasket.

New Gates upper and lower radiator hoses.

Found out it needs a new coil as well.

Will clean this post up when I have time.

Comment

Washed the engine bay. Took the paint off the valve cover before I knew it was happening. Not upset though. The brown distributor cap, the blue wires and most of the paint taken off the valve cover is the beginning of it gathering it's own character. Which is pretty cool.

I haven't used the engine degreaser yet. But I will pressure wash the bay again and use it when I do.

Comment

I also ran the FITV all the way down. Next time I start it cold I'll know if it fixes the cold idle surge.

Comment

Started it dead cold this morning. High idle was 1600ish rpm now that the FITV screw is ran all the way down.

The distributor rotor I installed yesterday I didn't care for. So I bought a Bosch today along with a replacement ignition coil. Since the factory coil is trashed.

Comment

Setting base idle link: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146239

Setting base ignition timing link: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146242

I need to do these when I get the new coil and distributor rotor in.

Comment

Parts from Honda arrived.

Figured out the coolant leak is coming from a hose under the throttle body. Which I have pictured below.

Comment

RockAuto order arrived today. New coil and new distributor rotor.

Comment

I miss threads like these

"It comes up on high idle when it's cold now without an erratic idle. Just like it should. And once it starts warming up it idles down perfectly. I was very happy to hear it start up and go through the idle stages perfectly. Once warm it idles at 900rpm."

^This is gold. With this being the top issue with our cars and it's hard to track down, it's great when idle works perfect-o!

Ya, i wouldn't worry about the valve cover paint. That engine bay is so busy looking. I forgot what OEM mess looks like. I'm thinking if you add something purple it will complete the rainbow.

Comment

Aaand it's gone. Someone texting and driving. Ran up underneath as can be seen. Lifted the car off the ground. Everything underneath is bent. Trunk doesn't open obviously. Happened hour and a half ago. More pics later.

The other car.

Comment

ahhhh crap...... hope you're ok though.

Comment

Why does this shit always seem to happen after we get these cars mostly fixed up?

I mean you finally got the engine running like it should and have taken care of almost all of the maintenance items.

Ugh, hope your alright man.

Also texting is clearly the right thing to do while driving, not like you can't die while hitting something else... God, people are dumb.
                            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              ahhhh crap...... hope you're ok though.
                              My wife was driving. She seen and heard it coming. She's fine other than a sore back and neck. I appreciate it though man.

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                              Why does this shit always seem to happen after we get these cars mostly fixed up?

I mean you finally got the engine running like it should and have taken care of almost all of the maintenance items.

Ugh, hope your alright man.

Also texting is clearly the right thing to do while driving, not like you can't die while hitting something else... God, people are dumb.
                              Always! It always does! I was just admiring it earlier today as well. It looked pretty clean. Until now of course.

The wife is fine. She had a moment to prepare which was very good.

Yeah this is the second time we've been hit by someone texting. 1st time was 10 years ago and I nearly lost my right leg. So we are very grateful to say the least.

The lady has USAA insurance so I think she might be military? Which makes me even more sympathetic. I would strongly dislike being in her shoes. I just hope she's ok. She didn't seem bad. I just hope it isn't. We all make mistakes especially me. She had insurance! So that's one responsible thing she did. I'm thankful for that!

Comment

I'm hearing from the insurance company that this car may get fixed. I still don't know yet for sure. I'm banking on it being totalled.

Comment

Working...
                                X