Phxcb7 : 1992 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phxcb7 : 1992 Accord LX

Instead of having both cars in one thread I decided to separate them.

Here is my daily when I first got it.

This is how the radio was wired in.

Mod list:
    Engine
    Stock
    Transmission
    Stock 5 speed H2A5
    Suspension
    Stock
    Wheels
    Stock on hubcaps

Small story on it. Got it from a couple in Mesa Arizona. They were asking 1500. I told them I only had 1k. They took it. I knew there was something wrong with the car if they took that offer quick. I really needed a daily and it drove fine including the 45 minute drive home.

Got it home and did an oil change on it just to be safe. And also put an air filter on it.

After closer inspection AC didn't work, heater didn't work, PS high pressure line leaked like crazy, and if you shift above 3k in 3rd adn 4th, it grinds.

I can live with the first 3 issues. Never really ever used any of those in any of my own personal daily driver. Because of the transmission issues, I went to the junk yard and pulled an ex transmission. I didn't know the condition but the plan was to tear it down and rebuild it.

I had a RSX-S muffler laying around so I put that on the Accord.

Before

After

Fast forward a few months car will not come up to normal temp. Pull t-stat housing, no t stat in there. I stalled a new one. Radiator cracks. Replace radiator. Car still over heating. Pull head gasket and it was blown.

While I was doing the head gasket job I noticed there was pieces of the sleeves missing from extreme corrosion. I tried cleaning out the coolant system using vinegar which cleaned it up a good amount but the damage had already been done. Did the head gasket and while I was at it I installed an A6 IM and cam.

Comment

Given I knew this engine was on its way out. 270k+ miles I planned ahead. I took another trip to the junk yard and found a very mint 98 or 99 Accord that had been in a accident. The engine bay was so clean and the Interior was even better. So I pulled the motor and even removing the head the it was extremely clean. Had a Honda timing belt in very good condition and the head gasket looks OEM.

It was a half off weekend and I had a busted up b series block as a core so I ended up paying $90 for it.

I cleaned up the piston tops but there was not a lot to clean up

I also picked up an M2A4 transmission from some guy for $40. Said it was stuck in 2nd gear. When I went to pick it up I didn't look over it to well. It was really dirty anyways. I got it home and Inspected it, there was a hole about a quarter size in the Differential area. I was a little disappointed but I couldn't be to mad it was only $40. I popped the case off to see the damage. There was a lot of aluminum shavings everywhere. I thought everything was toast. Well I started to pull everything out and clean off the shafts and gears. Everything was in good shape. I found a 10mm socket half chewed up. So I decided to use all the internals of the h22 transmission and place them in the f22 spare trans I planned on rebuilding. I tore down the shafts and cleaned up everything in solvent.

I was going to install the transmission and decided to just swap the head over to the f23 block and put it all in at once. So I started yesterday mid day. Currently as a mid day today new swap is pretty much done and in. Just need to install 1 axle, fill trans with fluid, install battery and fire it up. Should be done tomorrow for sure. Not currently working. Was in the hospital for over a week and after I got out I still was u able to return to work for another 2 weeks so I'm off atleast for another week and a half. Just trying to make use of the time I have right now.

Comment

Welcome and freaking good job on fixing the issues with the accord. Also 40 bucks for a transmission? damn that's a freaking steal lol.
        MY MRT
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178936

Comment

Great work so far! Got to love homie hook-ups, even if there are issues to address.
          1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Swap is done and running great.

Upgraded from my 10.1 inch disk brakes to Accord wagon 11" rotors

Before

After

Also installed a new passenger side axle. Prelude shifter, a6 4-2-1 header to an exhaust I put together because I was bored

Comment

Now that I have the Accord up and running smoothly, I took the time to clean up the garage very nicely and moved some things around so I could fit both my projects in the garage

Comment

So its been a while since ive updated this thing. Mainly because I got my integra up and running and was driving that. However I just sold the lsv swap I worked hard to build. Its a little sad but I have a k24 im planning on throwing in it but still unsure. May just get rid of all the k stuff and the integra shell all together.

Any ways from the money I got from the swap im planning on picking up a long block to mate to the spare h22 trans I rebuilt. And tossing that into the accord until I decide on either getting rid of all that stuff to buy a new 08+ accord coupe v6/6speed, or swapping in the k in the teg.

So since ill be dd'ing the accord now I decided to fix some things that it needed since I bought it.
                New cluster bezel (was half missing broken)
                new window motor and rail for driver front and passenger rear. Now all the window work and go up and down.
                New/used driver side tail light, previously had a broken one.
                New manual mirrors, current ones were being held on by electrical tape to them selves. (again previous owner)
                Removed the tint on the rear window. I could barely see through the brown nastiness. I plan on doing the other doors as well. Looks like the driver window must have been replaced because its the only one not tinted and I also found a lot of broken pieces while changing the motor and rail.
                Installed my Prelude Shifter.
                Also decided to figure out why my wheels were rubbing the tie rods when turned completely. Turns out previous owner installed tie rods on the wrong sides. So I will be getting new ones soon and swapping.

So I have a question for those who actually read my stuff. Im up in the air with which long block to get. One of the biggest reasons I decided to go with k in the teg was because the b series had hardly any torque. And while driving the accord with an F23 97 mm stroke it just pulls like nothing down low. I wanted the best of both worlds so I thought k.

But for my accord I want to retain a good tq number. I know my options are H23a vtec, H22, or F20b. h23a has a nice 95mm stroke and im kinda leaning towards that. but I keep hearing neg stuff about and that its so hard to get running properly. Some what the same with the f20b.

I don't really plan on doing much to the engine. Maybe some cams but that's it. Don't want to a build on this thing. With the amount of engines ive built id like to keep this one simple. Low miles, reliable, and easy swap.

Comment

If you're reading anything negative about those engines not running properly, then it likely has more to do with the user installation than it does the actual engine. Personally, the H23A VTEC has always seemed to be the best value engine. Usually found for around $800, you're a new distributor ($150), injector set ($100) and intake plenum ($50) away from it being something that will perfectly plug into your factory engine harness. Once you've added the necessary VTEC and IAB wires, of course.

Sure that's an added expense, and sure there are other engines that avoid that. But my point is that the engine can have every component that is somewhat different or incompatible with your OBD1 engine harness replaced for something else that is. Then it's a bolt-in affair. There are other methods around those differences as well that cost less money but involve more work, but see my point above.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yeah I figured all that. To me direct swap is the engine sitting in the bay with out issues or swap mounts. Every swap ive done theres always the little issues it has as far as wiring. The distributor internals can just be swapped. That's like a 20 min job. the injector are also not an issue. I have obd1/2 injector connectors all over the place. Removing the resistor box its simple. As far as plenum I could temp use my a6 top. or just get a Sk2 IM to kill 2 birds with on stone.

Comment

I also made me a "custom " shifter.its a prelude shifter with half if the accord shifter. Feels real nice actually.

Comment

I finished putting together all the loose pieces i hadnt put back from installing the cluster bezel thingymajig. As you can see in the picture above the steering column cover was not completely on. I also bought radio install kit to cover that ugly hole where the old one was. Installed a cheapy little deck aswell to listen to aswell. Interiorfeels so much more complete and looks much cleaner.

Picked up a complete set with all 4 center caps. Just need some cleaning and some good tires

Last edited by Phxcb7; 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Before

After

Comment

Great progress. Sucks you paid so much for so many problems. $1000 but hey it still drives.

On the swap I also suggest a h23a vtec. Did that swap on a friend's cb and it ran better then my h22a.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                              Great progress. Sucks you paid so much for so many problems. $1000 but hey it still drives.

On the swap I also suggest a h23a vtec. Did that swap on a friend's cb and it ran better then my h22a.

Keep up the good work!
                              Yeah but i guess i got what i paid for. Ive gotten lucky with past vehicles i got for 1000.00 or less. I guess this time around im paying for it. The nice thing is i have been able to fix those things as they have come up with out the car being down for an extended period of time.

The more and more i think about it the more i am leaning toward the h23a. Im also thinking of getting a t2w4 trans to go with it. Im pretty excited on the swap. i was originally going to swap in a k24 into my teg but i decided to put the money im selling my semi built LSV for into the cb. I may end up parting ways with my beloved Integra. My plan was to build one or the other and save up to buy an 08+ accord coupe V6 for a daily.

Comment

Working...
                              X