Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 Honda Accord with JDM H22A - CEL/SMOG

Hello fellow CB7Tuners!

So I'm kinda stuck in a bad spot right now.
    First off, the guys that wired my harness for the JDM H22A swap, back like 8 years ago, somehow hid the diagnostic plug, so I can't find it to check what CEL code I'm getting.

Basically, I'll drive for about 30 minutes and then the CEL will come on. But when I shut the car off, and then turn it back on, it doesn't come on, unless I drive yet another 30 minutes. What could this be? Gas cap? EGR valve?

Also, I'm located here in Southern California. Anyone know any smog shops in Los Angeles that don't care about the visual and will pass my H22A? We're planning on selling this car within the next year, once I graduate college, and therefore just need a quick pass.

Thanks!

If it matters, I already did a spark plug wire, plug & oil change yesterday night. Car seems to be running great. Bought some Carb cleaner to see if I can clean out the EGR valve of any carbon. What else is recommended to be changed/replaced, to get it to pass smog?
    Last edited by JDM_H22_SLEEPER; 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM.

new $10 purple/yellow tint fog lights

H22a Sleeper:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=124470

Your shooting blind. Find those wires for the ecu. OR find the color wires, look at a diagram and find it on the pins on the ecu.

And whats failing on smog. I can tell you to do everything in the book, but without you telling us what it is failing then I cannot help you efficiently

And whats wrong with your car visually? What things are in there that are not supposed to be there?
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

1 long blink is 10's 1 shot blink is 1 . say ---------- this is 10's (long blink) and this is - is 1's ( short blink) . so ---------- then - this would be a code 12.

sorry as i am camera shy .
      Last edited by Accord problems; 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM.
      this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
      How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
      Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
        Your shooting blind. Find those wires for the ecu. OR find the color wires, look at a diagram and find it on the pins on the ecu.

And whats failing on smog. I can tell you to do everything in the book, but without you telling us what it is failing then I cannot help you efficiently

And whats wrong with your car visually? What things are in there that are not supposed to be there?
        Visually it's failing. Basically, its not that something is there that shouldn't be. Because everything is there and looking stock. The only problem is, they say the motor doesn't match the VIN (duh, it's a swap). But they look at it, and say "no I can't smog it", without even trying.

Originally posted by Accord problems View Post
        1 long blink is 10's 1 shot blink is 1 . say ---------- this is 10's (long blink) and this is - is 1's ( short blink) . so ---------- then - this would be a code 12.

sorry as i am camera shy .
        Thanks, but yeah, I know how to read the codes, just can't find that dang self diagnostic plug.

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

look for them two wire's . if the engine does not match the vin you will need to take it to the smog ref . they will tell you if it is stolen and help get it registered to that car for 8.25 . if it is stolen then you're looking at jail time .
          Last edited by Accord problems; 01-13-2014, 06:47 PM.
          this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Car safety checks

Fluid Capacities

Comment

look for them two wire's . if the engine does not match the vin you will need to take it to the smog ref . they will tell you if it is stolen and help get it registered to that car for 8.25 . if it is stolen then you're looking at jail time .
            So I am to understand that if I buy a used car from anywhere and the state of California determines the engine is from a stolen car then I go to jail even if the car was purchased at a used car dealer.
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
              So I am to understand that if I buy a used car from anywhere and the state of California determines the engine is from a stolen car then I go to jail even if the car was purchased at a used car dealer.
              I bought the engine from Hmotors, which many members on here are familiar with, I hope. So I don't think it's stolen. But thanks. I was looking for more on the lines of skipping the smog ref's, and just getting it smogged somewhere. I plan on selling it next year when I graduate college.

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

CEL Code 17 & 12

So I found the self diagnostic connector. Had to rip apart the carpet to find it...

I checked it, it did 1 short then 7 blinks, then 1 short then 2 blinks.
                Came to the conclusion that was 17 & 12.

17 saw it to be the VSS, that could explain why our speedometer doesn't work..
                12 saw it to be the EGR Lift Valve, we cleaned out our EGR valve, and we put a vacuum hose to the EGR valve, and the diaphragm stayed up, until we released the pressure.

Could we have a faulty EGR?
                & where is the VSS located? Anyone have a picture of what it looks like?

We have an automatic transmission.

Thank you!

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

vss

vehicle speed sensor

look under google images and match it up

its on the top of tranny

Comment

vss

vehicle speed sensor

look under google images and match it up

its on the top of tranny
                    Thank you! Found it!

Gotta change that tomorrow. Auto parts stores are closed.

I guess for the CEL Code 12, EGR Lift Valve, I need to clean out the carbon on the ports/passages.
                    *sigh* more work... Oh well, it'll benefit the car, I guess.
                    Last edited by JDM_H22_SLEEPER; 01-14-2014, 01:50 AM.

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_H22_SLEEPER View Post
                      I checked it, it did 1 short then 7 blinks, then 1 short then 2 blinks.
                      Came to the conclusion that was 17 & 12.
                      can you show us a video of the codes ? because the way you put them don't ad up to me . to get a code 17 it would be one long blink then followed quickly bey 7 short. same thing with code 12 but just two short not seven . way you typed it code 1 , code 7 , code 1 , code 2 .

edit: also if you skip the smog ref and smog it illegally that can come back on you . if you sell it like that then thats even more trouble for you . i go to mjc college and have my car smog only cost 8.25 if i don't pass it's free .
                      Last edited by Accord problems; 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM.

Car safety checks

Fluid Capacities

Comment

can you show us a video of the codes ? because the way you put them don't ad up to me . to get a code 17 it would be one long blink then followed quickly bey 7 short. same thing with code 12 but just two short not seven . way you typed it code 1 , code 7 , code 1 , code 2 .

edit: also if you skip the smog ref and smog it illegally that can come back on you . if you sell it like that then thats even more trouble for you . i go to mjc college and have my car smog only cost 8.25 if i don't pass it's free .
                        Yeah I decided to just extend my smog, replace to US Emission parts, and get it BAR'd, so that we can sell it later for a lot more, instead of junking it for $200. LOL, if it's possible later, I'd like to get 2G's for it than 200.

And sorry if it was confusing, but yes, like how you said it, "one long blink quickly followed by 7 short, one long blink quickly followed by 2 short" So it was Code's 17 and 12.

Code 17 is an easy fix. Just need to save money to buy a $150 part...
                        Code 12 it can be easy I guess, but just having trouble finding EGR port plugs, and just constantly looking at videos of how to do it properly.

EDITED: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...+port+cleaning
                        (Guess it's always important to look on forums/threads before posting)
                        Last edited by JDM_H22_SLEEPER; 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM.

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

j/y in my area has a section that the guys will actually buy a for example

1990 Accord with a blown engine or tranny, then pull a good used one from stock, install it and without turning in the title as "junked" will resell it at the used car lot up the street from them

i know this because a neighbor of mine did it with his 90 sedan and we passed the used car lot about two weeks later and saw it in the lot

j/y paid him $250 for the car, lot had it for $1500

same owners of the j/y and lot

Comment

j/y in my area has a section that the guys will actually buy a for example

1990 Accord with a blown engine or tranny, then pull a good used one from stock, install it and without turning in the title as "junked" will resell it at the used car lot up the street from them

i know this because a neighbor of mine did it with his 90 sedan and we passed the used car lot about two weeks later and saw it in the lot

j/y paid him $250 for the car, lot had it for $1500

same owners of the j/y and lot
                            I believe it, my dad used to have a Pontiac Firebird, there's supposedly a glass that covers the gear shift chain? I forget what exactly, but we junked it for $200, and we passed by a used car dealer across the street from the junk yard, and saw them selling it for $2,000 with new paint..

H22a Sleeper:

Comment

the basic term is "flipping"

and on a few tv shows they show it being done

one show had the host getting 4 or 5 Pontiac Grand Am's from the late 80's, all the same year body style

his guys and him paid a total of $800 for the cars and spent a week swapping stuff between the cars and in the end of the show sold two for a total of $4500 and scrapped what was left of the rest after selling off certain parts to other owners of the same type car.

Comment

Working...
                              X