Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adjustment

I did my lower seals the other day but people told me I need to adjust my valves. How do I do this? Thanks

Originally posted by jaemil369 View Post
    I did my lower seals the other day but people told me I need to adjust my valves. How do I do this? Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

Follow his guide to the "T".
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Got it, wasn't difficult at all

Comment

Originally posted by jaemil369 View Post
        Got it, wasn't difficult at all
        Yeah he makes it easy by explaining everything.

Comment

i noticed eric the car guy did it on a f22b2. does it also apply to a f22a6? .254mm for intake and .305mm for exhaust?
          RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Originally posted by jewelproject View Post
            i noticed eric the car guy did it on a f22b2. does it also apply to a f22a6? .254mm for intake and .305mm for exhaust?
            yes, they are the same gaps.

Comment

It's been so long since I have done the valve adjustments. I used his video. Could some one help refresh my memory? In his video, he turned the cam lobe to the opposite of the rocker arm, that means the base circle is up right? With the base circle up and cam lobe 180 down, do you adjust those 2 valves? I think in his video he had the cam lobe down on the intake, and he adjusted the intake right? Those 2 valves are running on that same cam lobe right?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                It's been so long since I have done the valve adjustments. I used his video. Could some one help refresh my memory? In his video, he turned the cam lobe to the opposite of the rocker arm, that means the base circle is up right? With the base circle up and cam lobe 180 down, do you adjust those 2 valves? I think in his video he had the cam lobe down on the intake, and he adjusted the intake right? Those 2 valves are running on that same cam lobe right?

Thanks.
                I have found the OEM Honda way the easiest:

Set the engine to #1 cylinder TDC, up mark on cam pointed up, marks on the sides of the cam wheel LEVEL with the HEAD. Adjust cylinder 1 intake and exhaust valves.

Rotate 90°, do cylinder 3

Rotate 90°, do cylinder 4

Rotate 90°, do cylinder 2.

Then I go back, rotate the engine by hand a few times, then check the gaps again, adjust if needed.
                Last edited by dj_ender; 04-18-2012, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Cylinder 1 is the one furthest away from the distributor and next to the timing belt right? I followed the Honda OEM book the first time and I had tapping valve and engine was not as strong. Then I followed his video and the engine felt much better. But the gas mileage seems to suffer a bit.
                  If the valve too tight would cause the decrease in gas mileage? I am not too sure and I don't want to buy another valve cover kit just to check the valve clearance again.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                    Cylinder 1 is the one furthest away from the distributor and next to the timing belt right? I followed the Honda OEM book the first time and I had tapping valve and engine was not as strong. Then I followed his video and the engine felt much better. But the gas mileage seems to suffer a bit.
                    If the valve too tight would cause the decrease in gas mileage? I am not too sure and I don't want to buy another valve cover kit just to check the valve clearance again.
                    Thanks.
                    Yes, #1 cylinder is the farthest from the dizzy. It's funny you say that, I tried his way, got them close. Did the Honda way, and I used .09 & .11 gaps, I never hear a valve. Yes if the valves are too tight your mpg could be affected, the valves open a spilt second before they are supposed to. It can even cause backfiring. You don't need a valve cover kit, most valve cover gaskets are rubber and can be reused, as long as they aren't torn or leaking.
                    Last edited by dj_ender; 04-18-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

The valve cover isn't leaking or torn but one time I pulled it off the gasket shrink and I have a hard time fitting it back on. I'll check it again if the cover is good. Which way did you use? His way or the Honda's manual?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Honda way is best and easiest IMO

Comment

I don't recall but does the mark "UP" also on the side of the cam pulley or do I have to take the top timing cover off?
                          Thanks.

Comment

If the valve cover gasket hasn't been replaced in the lifetime of the vehicle you're going to have a bear of a time refitting it to the valve cover. Get a new one. If you don't have a Honda dealer near you then see if your parts store can get a Beck/Arnley. They fit very well.
                            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                              If the valve cover gasket hasn't been replaced in the lifetime of the vehicle you're going to have a bear of a time refitting it to the valve cover. Get a new one. If you don't have a Honda dealer near you then see if your parts store can get a Beck/Arnley. They fit very well.
                              The gasket was replaced at least 3X, once by the previous owner and 2X by me. The first one I did was the Ebay one and it leaks on the back. I bought an OEM one and it has not leak since. It's about 2 years old or less. Think I'll need a new one? The new OEM one is only $10 but without the spark plug upper seals. $25 with the seals. Well, if I can reuse it, I would like to as money is tight right now.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X