distributor - advance/retard rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackPearl2006
    dammit, now I'm more confused than before I opened this thread.

on our CB7:

clockwise (Towards front) = retard?
    counterclockwise (towards firewall) = advance?
    Incontravertably 100% correct, when looking at the distributor from the right hand side of the car.

If you ever have any doubts with any engine (fitted with a distributor), just take the dizzy cap off and very briefly rotate the engine with the starter while you observe the rotor move. If the rotor moves clockwise then rotating the dizzy body clockwise will retard ignition / anticlockwise advance. If the rotor rotates anti-clockwise then rotating the dizzy anti-clockwise will retard etc. Rotating the dizzy in the direction of rotor rotation always retards.
    Last edited by johnl; 03-12-2008, 05:10 AM.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

So when we advance ignition, are we making the cylinder fire closer to the top? Or is it waiting for the cylinder to go down a bit farther (and fill with more gas vapor/air) before it fires (thereby creating more force, and sucking up more gas)?
      My Ride (Click here)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPearl2006
        So when we advance ignition, are we making the cylinder fire closer to the top? Or is it waiting for the cylinder to go down a bit farther (and fill with more gas vapor/air) before it fires (thereby creating more force, and sucking up more gas)?

This gets slightly more complicated.

If you have a timing setting of 15BTDC (BEFORE top dead center), then the spark plug will fire 15* before the crankshaft actually reaches top dead center. This is because the flame takes a fraction of a second to propogate away from the spark plug, and thus will reach the piston closer to TDC, than if you waited until TDC to fire it.

Generally, the faster the engine is turning, the more advanced the ignition will become because even though the piston is moving up and down much faster, the flame still propogates at approximately the same rate, hence you have to fire the plug earlier to get it to arrive where you want it, when you want it there.

So yes, if you are advancing ignition, you are making the spark plug fire EARLIER than if you retard the timing.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Honda's are generally the opposite way from other cars since it spins the opposite direction of normal transverse motors. CPmike way is correct. This only applies to all hondas before the K and I think J series. Not sure about the C series motors.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            Honda's are generally the opposite way from other cars since it spins the opposite direction of normal transverse motors. CPmike way is correct. This only applies to all hondas before the K and I think J series. Not sure about the C series motors.

I believe the K, J, R, and F20C/F22C are the first major series of engines from Honda to spin the "normal" way. And whatever is in the Fit.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Another way to think about which way the engine rotates: The timing belt almost always has a STRAIGHT path from the cam gear to the crank gear on the portion of the belt under tension. In other words: The crank gear "pulls" the cam gear along and always has a direct path between the two, so from driver's side the engine rotates counterclockwise and from distributor side the engine rotates clockwise.
              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Working...
              X