Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

thinking going turbo!! what parts to stay away from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinking going turbo!! what parts to stay away from

looking to build by cb7 f22a6. i have basic knowledge of the turbo system. but i want to know what parts a reliable rather then cheap ebay parts. is there a basic turbo tuned plug and play edu??what ecu's are reliable ? do i need a new intake manifold?? what size cc fuel injectors? do i need to upsize my rods,pistons ,piston rings ,and crank, or do i just need to upize my piston rings?? can the headers lead out to a stock exhaust? will i need to replace with stage 3 clutch? will i need to upgrade too stage 3 axels? …. like i said i have basic knowledge but I'm concerned on the fine tuning and specifics.. thanks

acahc

First real life budget.

Second power goal/usage.

Third either do more research or contact a reputable shop or hobbiest to learn more.

Most of your broad questions can be answered if you address those first. Example knowing how much power you are after will help with what size clutch, turbo, injectors, piping, exhaust engine build etc etc will be sufficient or have a bit of leeway for more. And money is the biggest factor with a DIY project if knowledgeable and even more so if you pay someone else to do it aswell.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

No offense but I'm going to be blunt. You don't even have basic knowledge. You should just read up on what a lot of people here have done with their setups. Not many people do it anymore but you can dig up some old threads where people did home-built DSM setups. Those guys usually posted lots of pictures and explained things pretty thoroughly. Check that stuff out first.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

For starters you need to look into the Health of your motor.

If your motor cannot handle nos, it shouldn't be near a turbo.

High mileage motors means plenty of parts are prone to fail sooner or later.
        A turbo will just accelerate it that much more.

Cylinder walls need to be honed or bored and honed.

New rings, pistons, rods to match.

New valve train

Ecu needs to be chipped and tune able.

Wideband o2 sensor

3 bar map sensor

Ebay intercooler system

There's so much more parts to list and they are so mandatory.

If you cannot source these parts turbos are not an option.

Comment

Turbo Accord

===link removed===
          600HP" 1990 ACCORD LX COUPE COMING SOON

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY 1990 CB7

Comment

aa

yea i get it.. my block is recently rebuilt.. i know theres a lot too.. is high compression as expensive as turbo? is it even worth it?

Comment

We cannot answer that question. It may or may not be as expensive. Too many factors play a part in that.

Is high compression worth it? That's a personal decision. Find the pros and cons of each and weigh your options.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'd take N/A over FI any day.... but that's my personal preference.

To build something reliable and powerful, be it boosted or all motor, isn't cheap. I have seen hybrid OEM all motor builds break the 220whp barrier and cost under $5k tuned. I have also seen well planned turbo setups push 340whp tuned and stay in the $5k range!

Then I have also seen $7-10K builds make north of 440whp N/A and 650-700whp Boosted. These are fully built engines that most people around here are not going to be building themselves. Most of these monsters are pieced together by a shop, then built and tuned by them as well.

It all depends on your depth of knowledge in automotive, how much of the work you can do and how much research you have put into the build. To simply ask for what parts to throw at a build is no way to build an engine. Opinions are great when it comes to All motor vs Forced induction, however it will still be your choice in the end. I suggest that you go out and test drive a few real all motor cars and booste cars and see what one you like best.

Eventually I will do a boosted build.... after I get bored of making real power...lol
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Recently rebuilt means nothing. You'll still blow it with turbo, and the stock specs are not well-suited to N/A.

May I suggest some reading material: Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It's a perfect book for a beginner (and despite your claim to know the basics... Jarrett is absolutely correct... you're not even close to knowing the basics.)
                  Pick up a copy of that book, and read it cover to cover. It's an easy, entertaining read, and you'll know more than 80% of the people on this site once you've digested it all. It goes into nice detail about turbo and N/A builds, and it's all related to Honda engines (mainly B series, but most of it applies quite well to engines we use.)
                  Read that book. Get ideas, THEN ask your questions. We'll be glad to help when you really DO know the basics.

Comment

Honda/Acura Engine Performance How to Modify D, B and H Series Honda/Acura Engines for Street and Drag Racing Performance

Originally posted by Chrisnick
                    Also, pick up and read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Very good read and it'll go a LONG way to show you what you're getting into. I'd link you to the Amazon page, but these work computers don't allow me to copy and paste a URL.
                    Maximum Boost Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems
                    Last edited by Accord problems; 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM.
                    this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                    How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                    Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

thanks man i really look into that book

Comment

I think if you want a fast car, save up for a sport car. Why force an economical to run faster when it's design for not?

Comment

Might as well shut this site down, then...

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                            I think if you want a fast car, save up for a sport car. Why force an economical to run faster when it's design for not?
                            why not
                            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                              ^^^I somewhat agree

I think there is nothing wrong with adding a little power to a grocery getter, especially if you do the work yourself. You get a feeling of satisfaction. You get to surprise other car owners. Is that not the purpose of modifying a car? Is to get it to look/perform the way that YOU want? He isn't asking for a 500hp CB7...although we have those running around here.

The biggest one though...it's a learning experience. Everyone starts somewhere.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X