Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing synchros into a manual trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing synchros into a manual trans?

As the title says.
    - How hard is it?
    - Do I need a press?

Before Deev replies with the quote "If you have to ask how hard is it...:P ", I've taken transmissions apart before, but not for synchro replacements. I've been reading online for a week now and there is limited information on how to do this. Most people say to get a manual and that a press is needed.

Has anyone attempted this before and can you comment on how hard it is?

FYI - It is a H22A T2T4 Transmission.

I've replaced the synchros in my U2Q7 which is a LSD H22 transmission from the European CH1 Accord Type-R. If you've taken transmissions apart before it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you, a press is recommend but I didn't have one so I used wood blocks as a bracket and hit the shaft with a rubber mallet to get the gears off. A suitable puller could also be used.

The gears can be be pretty tight on the splines but it could differ a lot depending on transmission. On my countershaft they had to be forced quite a bit but on the mainshaft they slid out by hand basically. Other than that its just a task of keeping it organized and you'll be fine. Getting the gears back on is much easier than getting them off usually. Once you're in there you might want to consider changing some seals, input shaft seal for example. Inspect parts for wear and damage especially the synchro springs, my 5th gear spring broke after the overhaul so I had to re-open the transmission after a short while.

The countershaft lock nut is recommended to change once taken off but I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. Spacer shims can be reused since just changing the synchros won't change any shaft clearances.

I used this guide as reference since it has some very good and detailed pics, even though its for a B-series transmission the process is very similar once you're inside changing the synchros.

http://honda-tech.com/transmission-d...orial-2443459/

Euro CB7 2.2i [F22A3] --> [H22A7]

Comment

THANK YOU!! Took me 50min to reply as I just started reading and reading and reading..... I'm excited now!

Comment

Oh, come on... you know I'm going to point out that "hard" is completely subjective! (don't worry... I recently asked Miata guys a similar question regarding an auto to manual conversion...)

If you don't have a Helm manual, the PDF version of it should still be available on the old Facebook group, locked as it may be.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Oh, come on... you know I'm going to point out that "hard" is completely subjective! (don't worry... I recently asked Miata guys a similar question regarding an auto to manual conversion...)

If you don't have a Helm manual, the PDF version of it should still be available on the old Facebook group, locked as it may be.
          haha

Facebook... hmm naaa. I'll find it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X