Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

f22b dohc built head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s quicker if you install a short shift manual tensioner
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Does Manuel have to do the tensioning? Can’t it be someone else? :-p
      Lmao nope has to be Manuel he also does my lawn to but hey at Keats he’s using Honda stuff lmao

my new turbo build

Comment

wow! Impressive parts for the that build. I would go with an aftermarket LSD for that transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
          wow! Impressive parts for the that build. I would go with an aftermarket LSD for that transmission.
          Agreed. Quaife and M-Factory seem to be the top choices for street cars. OBX’s unit is supposedly pretty decent for what it is, too. Don’t bother with a phantom grip (I saw you mention it in another thread), unless you can snag one cheap and don’t mind doing the work to install and remove it once it fails/sucks. They’re not totally useless, but a true lsd is far better.

Comment

If your looking at LSD options, you may want to look at a WaveTrac lsd. I've been shopping around lately, and I think I'm going to buy one in a few weeks. It has advantages over the Qualfie and M-Factory, it eliminates zero axle load disengagement. This means it will stay engaged even on decel and other conditions that experience zero axle load.
            Last edited by Rilas; 04-30-2018, 12:22 PM.
            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
              If your looking at LSD options, you may want to look at a WaveTrac lsd. I've been shopping around lately, and I think I'm going to buy one in a few weeks. It has advantages over the Qualfie and M-Factory, it eliminates zero axle load disengagement. This means it will stay engaged even on decel and other conditions that experience zero axle load.
              I never heard of that one before. What type is it?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I never heard of that one before. What type is it?
                What makes a WaveTrac different?

To best understand how the Wavetrac® is truly different from the other gear differentials on the market, you first have to understand the primary problem that the Wavetrac® solves.

The problem: Loss of drive during zero or near-zero axle-load conditions.

Zero axle-load is a condition that occurs during normal driving, but creates the most noticeable problems when driving in extreme conditions. Zero or near-zero axle-load is the condition that exists when there is ‘no-load’ applied through the drivetrain, when one drive wheel is nearly or completely lifted (often in aggressive cornering). It also occurs during the transition from engine driving a vehicle to engine braking and back, even with both drive wheels firmly on the ground.

Here’s how that loss of drive hurts you:

1) If you lift a wheel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, will NOT power the other wheel.

2) During the transition from accel to decel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, do nothing.

Why does this happen?

All gear LSDs (including Torsen®, Truetrac®, Quaife®, Peloquin, OBX, etc.) work in basically the same manner: they divide the drive torque between the two axles, applying drive to each side, up to the available grip of each tire. The amount of drive torque one wheel can get over the other is described as the bias ratio, a measure of the torque split across the axle.

Standard, open differentials have a bias ratio of 1:1. They can only apply as much drive torque as there is available traction at one wheel. When one wheel loses grip, the total available drive is lost as well (at a 1:1 ratio). All your power goes out the slipping wheel - along the path of least resistance.

Torque biasing differentials offer increased bias ratios over open differentials. For example, if a diff has a bias ratio of 2.5:1, then it can apply drive torque to the wheel with the most traction (gripping wheel) at 2.5 times the traction limit of the wheel with the least traction (slipping wheel). This is a significant improvement over an open diff… most of the time.

The problem is that when one tire has LITTLE or NO grip (zero axle-load), the other wheel gets ZERO DRIVE, because (basic math here): 2.5 x 0 = 0.

Lift a wheel (or substantially unload a wheel) and you get zero axle-load on that side - that means that during the time the wheel is unloaded, the typical diff will NOT power the wheel that’s still on the ground. No matter how high the bias ratio, you get no power to the ground.

During the transition from accel to decel, where you have near zero torque on the axle, even if the wheels are on the ground, the typical diff is unable to begin applying drive torque until AFTER the zero torque condition is over. While this condition is generally short-lived, the fact that most diffs can do nothing during that time means that there will be a delay once the zero torque condition stops - creating a reaction time in the driveline.

WaveTrac Technical Details

There is more to this, I just copied this off their website, as they can describe it better than I can.

Comment

wow! very good info on the Wavetrac LSD.

What is funny is that I have 2 m2a4s... one with a Quaife LSD and one with a Wavetrac LSD.

Both transmissions are spares.. I have yet to install them lmao

Comment

That sounds awesome!

Maury, install your damn parts so I can come play!

Comment

WaveTrac LSD test vid: (not mine)

"1) If you lift a wheel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, will NOT power the other wheel."

Am I missing something. I thought all LSDs were locked. "welded". If one wheel spins the other spins. As long as you are pushing the gas they will spin.

"Standard, open differentials have a bias ratio of 1:1. They can only apply as much drive torque as there is available traction at one wheel. When one wheel loses grip, the total available drive is lost as well (at a 1:1 ratio). All your power goes out the slipping wheel - along the path of least resistance."

In a non-LSD yes. Are you saying that a T2T4 LSD transmission will take power away from the one wheel on the ground which has traction when the apposing wheel is in the air?

Comment

The power going to the path of least resistance is what an open diff does...

Comment

It is also what a standard diff does. It multiples your power of the wheel with the least resistance. If a wheel lifts in the air it doesn't have any resistance to it so a value of 0. 1 or 2.5 or whatever the differential ratio is multiplied by 0 is still 0. A better example is to see what a differential does with only one wheel on the ice and one wheel off the ice. The wheel on the ice will spin while the other wheel does nothing with a Qualfie or M-Factory differential. Same thing if a wheel lifts, a wavetrac differential solves this problem.

Wavetrac Differential Testing Zero Traction

If the same was done with a Qualfie or M-Factory differential only one wheel would spin, NOT both.

Here is an OBX differential showing how the helicial lsd's respond to zero axle load situations.

OBX Helical Differential Zero Axle Load

You can clearly see that the wavetrac lsd does what the others can not.
                          Last edited by Rilas; 05-01-2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Great info, thank you.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

it was manual

It was a manual tensioner but, I will still be going with the kstuned tensioner. I took the motor apart and did have a few bent valves both intake and exhaust. everything had a lot of carbon deposit, and sludge in the head. I've just finished gasket matching the exhaust and cleaning up the intake ports in the head. Here are a few pictures I took! THANKS, EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT=)

intake^^ exhaust \/\/

Also bought a set of cam gears

No marathon gets easier later. ...

Comment

stock exhaust ports
                                No marathon gets easier later. ...

Comment

Working...
                                X