Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Fully Built F20b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully Built F20b

Hey, fellow Accordians!

Synopsis: (to get to question skip the following gap into next "paragraph")
    I have a 92 CB7 with a F20b in it. It's no longer running and hasn't been for about a year. (sad sigh face) Trans is gone along with a whoooole bunch of other functioning parts. I've tried to part it out fully, was pretty successful but still have it body and engine and decided, I'd keep her (since no one wants to buy her). I want to rebuild her because it never turned on again on me after parking it one night after overheating letting it cool down and found out (from a parts buyer) that piston rings are donzo.

Do H22a internal parts (i.e forged pistons, crankshafts, etc.) fit the F20b? My goal is to build all motor as strong yet reliable as I can possibly make it. Future plans are to gut it roll cage, full race car, yadda yadda yadda.

If you've done this before I'd really like to get to talk with you about the process.
    Thanks in advance.

Pictures coming soon...

P.S. Be nice, fuckers! I know how you guys can get, with your responses sometimes. Yes I have another car so this is a project car by definition.
    Ol' Skool FTW!

Haha, sad but true about the P.S. comment... but the grumpy old guys get tired of answering the same questions.

The big bad difference between the F20B and H22A is the bore (85mm F vs 87mm H), so H22 pistons won't fit if you were thinking about just swapping out the whole rotating assembly. And it doesn't look like the F20B's got much in the way of aftermarket support, since it's so uncommon. I don't know enough about the machining side of these builds to know how much the cylinders can be bored out, so a re-sleeve is likely in order. Granted, if you want real pistons and reliability, you're going to be re-sleeving anyway.

For head info, take a look at this link below. To fix the images, you can Quote the post, add "~original" after each ".jpg" and take a look at them in the post preview.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192504

I'm finding confusion around the head gasket, though. One guy at Honda-Tech sounds confident (from personal experience) that the H22A4 gasket will fit.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...se%2A-2957230/

Accord Aero-R

Comment

With the cost of purchasing another F20B hovering somewhere in the $500-700 range, I'd say it's not worth the trouble to rebuild one. You can spend $800 and get an H23A VTEC and be even better off. Importers will sell transmissions separately, so don't worry about finding the engine that comes with the transmission you want. Or, if the priority is just getting it running, you can buy a used Accord or Prelude 5-speed for a couple hundred dollars.

If the car was properly swapped in the first place, then either engine will interchange just as easily.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        With the cost of purchasing another F20B hovering somewhere in the $500-700 range, I'd say it's not worth the trouble to rebuild one. You can spend $800 and get an H23A VTEC and be even better off. Importers will sell transmissions separately, so don't worry about finding the engine that comes with the transmission you want. Or, if the priority is just getting it running, you can buy a used Accord or Prelude 5-speed for a couple hundred dollars.

If the car was properly swapped in the first place, then either engine will interchange just as easily.
        I'm in ABSOLUTELY no rush to get the car moving, again it is a project car and I plan on doing majority of the work myself for the experience. if I bought another engine I'd still want to build up the internals which doesn't make sense when I have one right in front of me. I just wanted to know if their internals were interchangeable.

As for CyborgGT, if that's the case I'd send the engine to a shop to get it bored to match the h22 87mm and then get forged pistons. BUT that's only if that's a fact! I dont want to get it service and then they not fit, you feel me? So if you AND others can attest that it is a fact, that's what I'll do.

AGAIN, my goal is to fully build it custom parts and all at NO RUSH to make it track ready. my goal is hill climb, "Pike's Peak" status. If it costs 10k to do it then so be it. if that takes years to accumulate, then so be it. I just want as much info on this engine as I can before I start making any adjustments. So if you have 'em, help a brother out! I want to put a CB Accord on the map. They got that JTCC CD Accord and other models up there, why not this body?!
        Last edited by ECB7; 04-28-2018, 11:14 AM.
        Ol' Skool FTW!

Comment

If you want to be competitive in your class at hill climb, you're going to need to go turbo. All-motor isn't going to maintain power at elevation. Pikes Peak, in particular, is quickly becoming an electric vehicle sport because of this; 14,000+ feet is rough even on foot. Safety regulations for that level of competition aren't going to be cheap, either, so I don't see $10k getting you anywhere near 'putting the Accord on the map.' I'll soon have more than that in my own engine, and it's really only going to be keeping up with modern NA V6s in traffic.

Start small. Learn how to quickly grow a quality YouTube channel, or something like that, to get your name out.

We can't feed you all the info, though. Only a small handful of people on here have bothered with the F20B to be able to offer personal experience.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            If you want to be competitive in your class at hill climb, you're going to need to go turbo. All-motor isn't going to maintain power at elevation. Pikes Peak, in particular, is quickly becoming an electric vehicle sport because of this; 14,000+ feet is rough even on foot. Safety regulations for that level of competition aren't going to be cheap, either, so I don't see $10k getting you anywhere near 'putting the Accord on the map.' I'll soon have more than that in my own engine, and it's really only going to be keeping up with modern NA V6s in traffic.

Start small. Learn how to quickly grow a quality YouTube channel, or something like that, to get your name out.

We can't feed you all the info, though. Only a small handful of people on here have bothered with the F20B to be able to offer personal experience.
            Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.
            Ol' Skool FTW!

Comment

From the getgo I suggested the H23A vtec engine. I say still get that. The long block alone is about $500.

Perfect torque and horsepower for the cb.

use all the left over parts you have from your cb...

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                From the getgo I suggested the H23A vtec engine. I say still get that. The long block alone is about $500.

Perfect torque and horsepower for the cb.

use all the left over parts you have from your cb...
                I agree with Mauricio, He built my H23A Engine and tuned with Honda S300 v3.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Working...
                X