INT: OEM style amber light conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by konig52r View Post
    but you know the climate control buttons only have one bulb per button. the little indicator turns on, but the icon doesnt light up, do you get me? idk if i explained it right.
    The climate control has one indicator LED per button. There are 2 bulbs in the back (maybe 3, can't remember exactly) that provide the icon lighting for all of the buttons. If your icons are not lighting up, then you need to replace the bulbs at the back of the CC unit.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
      The climate control has one indicator LED per button. There are 2 bulbs in the back (maybe 3, can't remember exactly) that provide the icon lighting for all of the buttons. If your icons are not lighting up, then you need to replace the bulbs at the back of the CC unit.
      Yes there are two bulbs in the back, one for each row. Get new bulbs from Honda, they are cheap enough, or from a junkyard, even cheaper.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

but you know the climate control buttons only have one bulb per button. the little indicator turns on, but the icon doesnt light up, do you get me? idk if i explained it right.
        the light-up-when-on indicators above each of the climate control buttons is an LED. theres 1 led for each.

as for the actual icon on the face of the buttons - there are 2 bulbs for this, one for the top row of vent buttons and one for the bottom row of recirc/AC buttons. these blow often, and can be accessed from the back of the CC unit without opening it up.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

oh you're talking about those? they should be LEDs if I'm not mistaken. Those really shouldn't ever blow out unless something in the connection is not hooked up right.

This is what it looks like internally:

I think the light from the LEDs diffuses for the "always on indicators" when the parking lights are on. Wait maybe not Idk I kinda forgot. They might be bulbs since they come on when the LEDs are off...hmmm. Idk its been a long time since I did this lol

The upper right Yellow is the rear defrost LED and the second row yellow is the recirculate button LED. The others light up Green for the vents/fresh air button/A/C
          Last edited by Losiracer2; 04-30-2009, 01:44 AM.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
            oh you're talking about those? they should be LEDs if I'm not mistaken. Those really shouldn't ever blow out unless something in the connection is not hooked up right.

This is what it looks like internally:

I think the light from the LEDs diffuses for the "always on indicators" when the parking lights are on. Wait maybe not Idk I kinda forgot. They might be bulbs since they come on when the LEDs are off...hmmm. Idk its been a long time since I did this lol

The upper right Yellow is the rear defrost LED and the second row yellow is the recirculate button LED. The others light up Green for the vents/fresh air button/A/C
            The LED's only provide light for the button indicator.

The Icon lighting comes from 2 regular bulbs behind the climate control.

Comment

fingernail polish works in place of paint thinner. im sure bumming some off ur mom, sister, or g/f is cheaper than going out and spending a couple of extra bills

and the button filters can be removed from the inside of the a/c control unit w/o removing any buttons preventing breaking any button tabs. take a nice flathead and a needle nose and get to work.

^_^ good job on the amber swap.
              Last edited by xkjnboix; 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM.
              frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

I still gotta do my foglight switch, I'm just nervous I'll break it.

Edit : wooo 1000th post.
                Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                  The LED's only provide light for the button indicator.

The Icon lighting comes from 2 regular bulbs behind the climate control.
                  oh yeah, I think you're right. I'm looking at that picture right now and I notice 2 bulbs just under the LEDs. My bad.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

wow... i didnt even know half that stuff lit up... lmao maybe its time to tinker with my dash... i'm thinkin i wanna do a oddball color for mine... but which color... blue? purple? maybe just clear white light? or that too bright?
                    THOU SHALT NOT SHIT IN DEEVE'S WHEATIES

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadnothing85 View Post
                      wow... i didnt even know half that stuff lit up... lmao maybe its time to tinker with my dash... i'm thinkin i wanna do a oddball color for mine... but which color... blue? purple? maybe just clear white light? or that too bright?
                      white is going to severly affect your night vision acuity.

Comment

ok, maybe it is my bulbs, but you know how you can tell if there good or not? weel according to that, mine are fine. get me?
                        The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
                        James 4:7
                        Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadnothing85 View Post
                          you want to do something that pleases the eye. Just look at VW for instance, they did a lot of research and that's why their gauges light up blue and Red, its easier on the eye and less fatiguing for those long drives. Another example is the HIDs, 4300K and 6000K will be less tiresome to look at for long periods of time vs 8000k and 10000k color temperatures. The amber color of the Prelude cluster combined with this DIY is great for night time driving.

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

ok, maybe it is my bulbs, but you know how you can tell if there good or not? weel according to that, mine are fine. get me?
                            get a magnifying glass. After all they're still regular light bulbs with filaments. Look to see if its still intact and connected. It is one of the tiniest bulbs I've ever seen, but it is a bulb.

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                              you want to do something that pleases the eye. Just look at VW for instance, they did a lot of research and that's why their gauges light up blue and Red, its easier on the eye and less fatiguing for those long drives. Another example is the HIDs, 4300K and 6000K will be less tiresome to look at for long periods of time vs 8000k and 10000k color temperatures. The amber color of the Prelude cluster combined with this DIY is great for night time driving.
                              The least fatiguing colors on eyes, and the ones that least affect night driving and night vision are amber and red. That is why BMW and most serious sports cars use that color. Blue is more mentally soothing, but it is harder on night vision.

~4300K (I think the actual temp is 4800) is the color of natural sunlight which is why that temerature was chosen for OEM HID's.

Comment

Your bulbs are probably still bad. It is far more likely a buld issue than a circuit issue. Sometimes they look good and sound good when you shake them, but are bad. Those filaments are so small it is hard to tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X