No announcement yet.

EXT: Custom LED License Plate Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres a link for 10X 5mm White LEDs. You can do a search on ebay, just type (LED bulbs) add the color if you want. I like to use the buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-WHITE-EXTRA...item335e60f8ec

Comment

This is what you will need.

1- drill
      2- about a 13/64 drill bit
      3- 10x white LEDs (5 in each lens)
      4- 10x 1/4w resistors
      5- soldering iron
      6- solder
      7- both your stock license plate housing/lens
      8- wire cutters
      9- needle nose pliers
      10- a marker or sharpie

I will add this to the top of the page.

Comment

This is dope I like how you laid out the instructions with the wiring,I'm about to order some leds and resistors now!

Car audio classifieds...
        http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ferrerid=12120
        Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/blackoutt334?feature=mhee

Comment

Its an easy mod that looks great.

Comment

what size leds are they 3mm or 5mm?I'm thinking of ordering the flat top ones instead of round tops..

Car audio classifieds...

Comment

To the original poster: I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, and I'm sorry if this is considered trolling, or you take offense...

But, I got the same effect by replacing the two T-10 globes that were in there? I replaced them with two brand new white LED T-10s that gave me this:

To be honest, it saves a lot more work. All you have to do is clean the housing, cut out that little rubber part and replace the globes.

Correct if I am wrong... but it seems like you're putting a hell of a lot more effort into something that doesn't really need it. As I said, unscrew the housings, take them apart, clean them with some water and a rag, dry them, place the new T-10 wedge globes, cut out the rubber part which masks some of the light and then you're done. :s It seems a lot more simple than having to solder leds and resistors together.

As I said, I don't mean for you to take offense. I'm just really confused as to why you put yourself through so much work.

Comment

Hmm idk man its a big difference in person then taking night pictures,I had those wedge leds in my civic and compared to a real led retrofit it was like night and day..

Car audio classifieds...

Comment

Originally posted by blackoutt View Post
                  Hmm idk man its a big difference in person then taking night pictures,I had those wedge leds in my civic and compared to a real led retrofit it was like night and day..
                  You may be right, the brightness and contrast may have gone down in his pictures. In real life, mine looks a little brighter than his led fit. -.o so yeah, it could just be the pictures.

Thank you for clearing that up, but I will still wait for the OP to get back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by YOanthony View Post
                    But, I got the same effect by replacing the two T-10 globes that were in there? I replaced them with two brand new white LED T-10s
                    I had the same T10 bulbs and it wasn't bright enough for me. My mod just blows the T10s out of the water. Competently night and day. It wasn't that hard to do and it only took me about 20mins to do.

Comment

Looks good! You may want to put some clear silicone on the back where all of the LED connections meet. Water may make its way in there somehow. (Mine get super dirty after a few months and they are screwed tight!)

Also, it might look nice to point the inner 2 LEDs on the inside towards the center of the plate so it lights up more evenly.

Comment

Its the same way my scooter is and they work fine, even in the mud and 2 feet of water.
                        I tough of that but forgot to do it. I might change it later.

Comment

good work but way to much work and money... just get 2 LED Bulb and remplace your old factory bulb

1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Mat Black] Sold
                          1992 Accord EX-R Coupe [Rosewood]

Comment

It only cost me about a $1, same as the T10 bulb on ebay. It only took about 20min to do. It was really easy. BTW I just got my LED bulbs for my tail lights and guess what, Im goin to make my own fully LED tails soon.

Comment

Originally posted by NightmareCB7 View Post
                              It only cost me about a $1, same as the T10 bulb on ebay. It only took about 20min to do. It was really easy. BTW I just got my LED bulbs for my tail lights and guess what, Im goin to make my own fully LED tails soon.
                              Can't wait to see them!!! Make a DIY for that too if you can, I'm sure others will appreciate it too

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                              be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

Originally posted by busak87 View Post
                                Can't wait to see them!!! Make a DIY for that too if you can, I'm sure others will appreciate it too
                                x2. I've got 300 LEDs coming to me courtesy of eBay.
                                MRT
                                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                                Originally posted by Tippey764
                                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                                Originally posted by deevergote
                                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                                X