Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: MAIN RELAY REMOVAL AND REPAIR (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FishyMan
    Can I just buy the main relay? I dont have soldering tools or access
    yes you can buy it, a person on here was selling a couple check the forsale thread
    Members Ride

Comment

Ive read through this thread but I may have missed it. If this relay does have cold/cracked solder points, what is the effect it will have you the car? Is it a starting issue while cold or hot?

Thanks guys.

Comment

I found when my relay went back I had a hard time starting the car, and then it just finaly quit starting.

The fuel pump seemed to take the brunt of the problems for myself, It just flat out stopped working at one point.
        Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Comment

what does a problem with the main relay effect?
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=104311]
          my members page
          my myspace
          my car domain

Comment

Originally posted by 92Lxsleeper
            what does a problem with the main relay effect?

when its hot, it won't let you start the car, it will take a while or sometimes it won't even start, mainly this is in hot weather
            Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7
              when its hot, it won't let you start the car, it will take a while or sometimes it won't even start, mainly this is in hot weather
              Very true. This is a very good DIY excellent pics and writeup. The only thing that it might not hurt to clarify in the writeup is that you will need a DEEP SOCKET 10mm. Otherwise you wont be able to reach it. Other then that very good. I finally got around to tearing mine out and resoldering it today. Later

Comment

lol, thi is a nice right up but how do you know if you have a bad main relay, pls PM me for details thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by aznpnoyracer
                  lol, thi is a nice right up but how do you know if you have a bad main relay, pls PM me for details thanks guys.
                  The symptoms are classic. If you don't know if it's your main relay, it probably isn't.

It goes something like this: On a hot day, you are driving around a lot. You decide to go to the gas station to get a big drink to cool off. You go back to your car and try to start it, but it refuses. The engine cranks, but won't start. You wait a few minutes, maybe 5 or so, and try again. Then it starts right up.

At least that's how it was for me, and the majority of others I've heard about.

BTW, read this link http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../aa010301b.htm
                  Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 10-04-2006, 12:22 AM.

My swap thread
                  Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

wow...for the CC box, i can get the first bolt out, but the second? i cant even find it...i got about a million wires under there densly packed together, i cant even find the bolt, i can slide the box a BIT to the left or right...but thats it, when i do that i can see the relay...but still cant access it..wheres the second bolt located on the CC cause im not able to find it...which sadly makes me think that the bolt is under all those wires
                    ..[CB7][STAR]..
                    MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Don't know if this helps any

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...400/16-267.pdf

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

nah i already had that from before, thanks though.

im just trying to find the 2nd bolt on the CC box, im not able to see it, wheter its located behind the million wires there, or if its just in a spot my eyes arnt able to see...
                        ..[CB7][STAR]..
                        MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

one more question, how many of you guys who did this put the main relay in the same spot when putting it back in? cause this is just a quick fix right? so eventually your gonna have to either replace it or something...so for those of you who relocated it, wheres a good place to put it?
                          ..[CB7][STAR]..
                          MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

good guy, big help
                            knowledge is everything with experience on hand then just hearing word of mouth doesnt prove you can do anything

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                              if you take this plastic cover off, it's a lot easier. once you take off the plastic cover, there're 4 10mm bolts holding a metal brace on. remove those bolts and you should be able to see the main relay.

later.

90-91 didn't have this. Atleast none of the ones I worked on did. Wasn't untill I swaped the 92 dash into my 90 that I had that there.
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

isnt that the panel under the steering wheel?

cause if it is and you said 90-91 didnt have one....or is this thing somewhere else?
                                ..[CB7][STAR]..
                                MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Working...
                                X