ENG: Fuel Filter Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Fuel Filter Replacement

This DIY is to be preformed with a very high level of safety. you are dealing with fuel. DO NOT preform this in any area where open spark or flame is present. wear SAFETY EQUIP such as masks (to prevent from inhaling fumes), gloves (because you will get fuel on you), and eye protection. Before doing this DIY you should have not driven your cb7 for at least 3 hours as a safety precaution. I am also not responsible if you fuck up anything on your car. preform this DIY if you feel that you are competent and skilled enough to preform this.

1st off lets look at the tools that we will use

Prep work.

remove gas cap to release any pressure that may still be present and replace immediately afterward.

have the caps on the last thread so they will be easy to remove because initially they are on there good. and when you remove your old filter, fuel will go everywhere slowly and you will want to throw it on asap. (in the pict is my old filter so thats y it looks all junky)

ok now that all of the prep work is taken care of now we can tackle the beast.

zoom

ok so here is the area and objects we are concerned with.
    go ahead and remove your intake which should take about 2 minutes. If you have a stock air box you know the drill.

next are these lil 10mm bolts. the one closest to the passenger fender is a beech to get to and you might possibly drop your bolt. just try your best. (it also helps to put rags underneath the box so if you do drop the bolt then it will catch it. you are going to have to put the rags under your filter n e wais so you might as well do it ahead of time to prevent some headache.)

ok after you remove both of the bolts just move the box off to the side or top or something so that you can access the 3 bolts in the next picture. it is not necessary to remove the box and its actually more of a pain than what its worth cause its really not int he way.

start by placing rags all underneath the filter. be very generous because it will soak through one layer very quickly.

next begin by removing the 17mm bolt. this one was a beast on my car and i had to use a cheater pipe. be careful to not use all of your body weight and pry it off cause its held on by flimsy bolts attached to the firewall. I pushed on the ratchet and pulled on the whole filter itself. Be patient this bolt is the hardest to remove (at least on my car)

next move on to the 14mm bolt. this bolt required a wrench to tackle. preferably a flare wrench to initially loosen and finally tighten it. you may use a normal wrench in between these processes. this is to protect the bolt so you dont strip the shit out of it.

once you take this 14mm bolt of. fuel will begin to slowly drip. DO NOT BE ALARMED. you didnt break anything. it will continue to drip until you put this bolt back on the other filter.
    Originally posted by Bongo
    i usually disable the fuel pump and run the car until the gas runs out. that way there's not so much fuel going everywhere. it just makes the job a lot cleaner.

quickly remove the 10mm bolt which holds the entire filter on.

lift the filter while moving the 14mm out of your way.

quickly set the new filter in place and begin threading the 14mm with your fingers. you will see that the hole where the 17mm bolt came out of is beginning to fill. this is normal. after you start the 14mm replace the 10mm bolt as to secure the filter. finish up the 14mm and tighten appropriately.

Last up is the 17mm again but BEFORE you put it back on make sure you replace the 2 metal rings that should have come with the fuel filter. Retighten the beastly 17mm bolt. Replace the vacuume box and be sure to remove the gas tainted rags (all of them).

replace intake and your done.

I would suggest letting your car sit for a few hours as to let the remaining gas that has spilled evaporate. (maybe its just me cause im so paranoid)

you may reopen you gas cap to check for pressure. i actually had alot when i reopened it. so all is well

This is my contribution to cb7tuner.com. hope this helps some people. This should be replace at LEAST once every 2 years. Im sure it will help you with MPG. feel free to email me with any corrections or comments that you feel are important to edit this post. thanks.
    Last edited by xkjnboix; 10-20-2007, 11:16 PM.
    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

now i dont have to lose another 103 taking it to the shop lol
    UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
    NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

WooHoo!!!! Thanks for sharing this great write-up. Rep for ya homie

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

i usually disable the fuel pump and run the car until the gas runs out. that way there's not so much fuel going everywhere. it just makes the job a lot cleaner.

Comment

thats not a bad idea either if you know how to do it, but if you relieve the fuel pressure like he mentioned, you only lose a little spurt, and if you wait a minute, its evaporated away

I do it the same way he does, done it 3-4 times

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

nice write up man...and if you have large hands it makes it a lil harder to do..
            -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
            -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

I remember mine didn't want to come off at all, I ended up bending the whole bracket while trying to loosen it. Lets just say I had a floating fuel pump afterwards

Comment

noted and quoted in 1st post thanks ^_^

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

in case you don't want to wait that long for the fuel to dry, just spray some carb cleaner in the affected areas, that stuff evaporates quickly and cleans all the fuel from parts. Also, before anyone did DIY's on this I used a Chilton's manual for reference. That helps a lot too. But other than that, good job with the write-up.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Not needed, waste of time. Removing gas cap and loosening fuel service screw on fuel rail is all you need. It really does not make much of a mess. This job should not take anyone that long, 15-20 minutes.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

just did it. great diy!

btw, mine came with three washers...two of the same size, which I put on the 17mm bolt as directed, and one smaller one. I just didn't put it anywhere.

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                        Not needed, waste of time. Removing gas cap and loosening fuel service screw on fuel rail is all you need. It really does not make much of a mess. This job should not take anyone that long, 15-20 minutes.
                        Exactly. The amount that shoots out is not much to be worried about all you need is a towel around it to prevent it shootin anywhere and you can call it a day. Nice DIY btw reminds me I need to change my fuel filter soon.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i tried this today. The 17mm is a b*tch I just gave up after 2hr of trying it and going to let my brother's friend who is mech. at honda do it for me.

Comment

yeah no doubt it is indeed a bitch bolt but you cant man handle it or youll break something. you have to distribute even pressure. a quick impact would be nice too haha.

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Good DIY. Im about to tavkle this tomorrow.

My 2 questions are:

1. Where is that bolt/screw located at on the fuel rail? (pics?)

2. Is it gonna hurt anything if i plug the 14mm line with my thumb and a rag? I know holding a rag over it will suffice, but if i can, i may have a helper just hold their thumb/finger, and a rag, over the line to prevent any fuel coming out at all. Can that be done or should i just let the fuel drip out??

Also, im assuming you guys just tighten all bolts by hand..?? My manual gives torque specs but i dont have a torque wrench....

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X