Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brakes spongy after complete upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes spongy after complete upgrade

I have a 92 LX and the stock brakes sucked!

First I did the fronts. I picked up CL knuckles, 11.1" rotors, and calipers to match. When i put these things on, there were no problems. I drove the car like this for a couple months maybe perfect.

Recently i picked up a rear disc conversion, ex master cylinder, and 3540 prop valve from an old prelude with 4-wheel discs.

I put these all in at once.

the rear disc went right on, no sway bar for now and e-brakes work great.

the master cylinder had the abs size hole, so i got an adapter from autozone. it was a metric fitting m10 x 1.0 female inverted flare to m12 x 1.0 male bubble. I tried to use it as is and the male part was totally wrong and leaked. then i cut i with a dremel and make it look as it should and put it on and it does not leak.

tested the brakes after numerous attempts at bleeding. the pedal gets kind of stiff when the car is off, but as soon as i start the car it goes to the floor. driving the car is scary but if u get used to the sponginess, beyond it the pedal gets hard and the car stops, damn near hard enough to lock the fresh pads and rotors.

Either you bled it improperly, and need to do it again... or your master cylinder or booster are failing. Perhaps returning to the non-ABS master cylinder would be a good idea.

The easiest thing to do would be to take it to a shop that does brakes, and have them re-bleed it for you. With their tools and experience, they should be able to do it quickly and properly, if bleeding is the issue. I'll be doing the same thing with my clutch... I can't get pressure, and I've done the best I can do. I'm towing it to the dealership to have my buddy fix it for me.

Comment

If it is not a bleed problem, you have a leak somewhere.

Check around for obvious signs of leaks.

Comment

first thing i thought about was the master cylinder being bad. after all it was from the junkyard and i didnt happen to look at the miles. but when looking at them, my lx mc with 140k miles on it in all its filth and grime looked way worse then the ex junkyard one. so i went to autozone with my junkyard mc for the core and got a reman nissin one that was identical. didnt fix the problem. i still have my lx one put i doubt its that.

a new booster looks pricey so i think ill try other ones i have laying around. Also dont know if this matters but it looks like brake fluid leaked or something in the past because the bottom half of the booster is like paint stripped/rusted. It does feel like air in the lines but im doing the 2 man press release method and i put vaccum hose over the bleeders that go into cups with the line submerged in brake fluid. dont know of a much better method than that.

Comment

id change the booster. you said its fine with the car off, but as soon as you crank it up and starts getting soft. id look into the booster.
          COUPE K24

Comment

so i ended up putting on a 94 integra booster that lines up the same and the pedal feels much better even without bleeding. also noticed that when i put the mc on the bb there was like resistance pushing the mc away from the bb, where as before it just went right on flush no problem. thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
            X