Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How do i get my car into neutral without it running?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i get my car into neutral without it running?..

Cant find the key that goes by the shifter so i can move my car into the garage,any way to get around the lock or to just move the shift linkage by hand?
    Follow me on IG to see my builds/pics
    dmfb919

Automatic? There should be a release that you can activate with your key. I just had to do that yesterday in my 05.

If it’s manual, you should be able to move through the gears freely. If you can’t, something is broken.

Comment

Can't you just use another key or something shaped like a key to just depress the park release? I don't think it actually requires the key from the car, just something to press down the mechanism in the shifter assembly.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Its automatic,it looks and feels like something is broke off in the key hole,i tried the ignition key for about 10mins before i shined a light down the hole. Looks like a broken knife blade lol
        dmfb919

Comment

You might have to take the center console out then to actually gain access to the shifter assembly. I think you can see that area where the shift lock is on, once the console is out. Your other option is to put the key in the on position use the brake and take the car out of park without the car running. You have to leave the key in the ignition until after the car is moved then turn the key off and remove.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
            You might have to take the center console out then to actually gain access to the shifter assembly. I think you can see that area where the shift lock is on, once the console is out. Your other option is to put the key in the on position use the brake and take the car out of park without the car running. You have to leave the key in the ignition until after the car is moved then turn the key off and remove.
            Tried turning the ignition to on and applying brake to shift it,its still locked when i try it. Im gonna tear the console apart when i get to the garage and see if that works..worst case scenario ill just drag it into the garage,i got a 5spd on standby lol
            dmfb919

Comment

Yeah, if that hole is jammed, you’re going to have to do some surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Yeah, if that hole is jammed, you’re going to have to do some surgery.
                Yay me lol looks like ill be busy all day tomorrow lol
                dmfb919

Comment

Figured it out...threw a fresh battery in it to roll the windows down so i could try to steer the car and figured I'd try the console key one more time..it worked lol all it needed was a battery,the broken piece inside doesnt seem to bother it either,so i think I'm in the clear
                  dmfb919

Comment

Well, yeah. It’s an electrical release.

Comment

I didnt know that it needed power to release. I feel dumb now lol
                      dmfb919

Comment

Originally posted by chi View Post
                        I didnt know that it needed power to release. I feel dumb now lol
                        Actually, it doesn't (just verified this on a shifter out of the car). You don't necessarily need a key either, just something long and narrow. After inserting something into the key slot, you do still need to depress the button on the shifter handle to get it out of PARK.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          Actually, it doesn't (just verified this on a shifter out of the car). You don't necessarily need a key either, just something long and narrow. After inserting something into the key slot, you do still need to depress the button on the shifter handle to get it out of PARK.
                          The key slot next to the shifter (his is jammed), or the ignition slot?
                          I believe the release via the ignition slot is electrical, no? Or is there some sort of release linkage?

Comment

I haven't driven my Accord enough to know, but I remember with a lot of GM vehicles once the car was parked and turned off, if you cranked on the wheel a bit you coud lock the column in place real tight, and unless you exerted some pressure on it while trying to turn the key, the ignition wouldn't unlock it (automatics only obviously).

Maybe something like this was going on?
                            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              The key slot next to the shifter (his is jammed), or the ignition slot?
                              I believe the release via the ignition slot is electrical, no? Or is there some sort of release linkage?
                              Sorry for the confusion. Yes, when using the key in the ignition, the release is electrical. When using a key (or any other long enough narrow object) in the slot in the shifter, it is mechanical.

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                              I haven't driven my Accord enough to know, but I remember with a lot of GM vehicles once the car was parked and turned off, if you cranked on the wheel a bit you coud lock the column in place real tight, and unless you exerted some pressure on it while trying to turn the key, the ignition wouldn't unlock it (automatics only obviously).

Maybe something like this was going on?
                              It didn't physically lock it; if you crank the wheel over before shutting off, the force trying to return the wheel position gets reacted against the locking pin making it very difficult to turn the key (I suppose even to the point of breaking something - effectively locking it) to retract the pin from the locking slot. This happens occasionally in my Accords for the same reason. As you stated, you have to "unload" the steering wheel to allow the locking pin to slide. This should have no effect on being able to release the shifter mechanically via the key slot in the shifter.
                              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-23-2017, 12:32 PM.
                              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                              X