Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New Ball Joints and other Suspension advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ball Joints and other Suspension advice needed

I ordered new ball joints, upper control arms, tie rods (inner and outer), and sway bar link kit. The plan is to put the BJ's on the EX, and tie rods/sway bar linkage on the LX.

I already know how to install all these parts, but I am wondering if there is anything I can mess up while installing everything.
    How do ball joints effect camber? I am mostly worried about the alignment. I plan to get an alignment done in a few weeks, but I don't have the funds to right now.

Any tips/tricks/horror stories/stupid fails/success stories/things-you-only-learn-from-experience and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, I already know how to install, I am simply asking about possible effects of new components.
    '91 EX 280,000 || '90 LX 330,000
    _____(me)__________(wife)___

Installation will very likely cause a miss alignment as you know, you are replacing worn components that have slop with new, solid components. You CAN drive for a couple weeks if you get your tie rod back close to where the old one was....remember it's better for the front tires to point IN /_\ than to point out \_/.

I say wait until you have the funds for an alignment before doing the job....really no point in replacing it now unless something is critically damaged and a safety concern.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Messing with tierods = need alignment.
      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
        I say wait until you have the funds for an alignment before doing the job....really no point in replacing it now unless something is critically damaged and a safety concern.
        The tie-rods on my LX (325k, mind you) have quite a bit of play in them. You can feel it down on the ground (whilst on jacks), but the steering is good and tight while driving. I am a bit concerned with that, as this is my wife's car and she does not know the signs of failure. I had a 4wheeler almost kill me when a tie-rod snapped while I was flying through the forest. So it does indeed worry me

Do ball joints effect steering very much? I mean, they obviously have some influence on steering because they support the knuckle, but will I notice a difference in the steering after replacing the BJ's? The upper control arm bj has a little bit of play and the boots are broken all around (on the EX). It also needs rear control arms. Should I be concerned with the rear(s)? The rear passenger side gives me a 'clunk' when I turn. Is that a safety issue? Should I focus on getting that replaced?

I'm so stoked to get my babies running smooth and quiet. I got a full gasket kit for the EX today, gonna pull the motor in a few weeks and give it a quick refresh. Gotta get a timing belt/water pump kit and it's in the works.

Thanks for the replies! Every little bit of knowledge accrued before I start helps in the end. ...Accrued, not in the monetary sense, but in the sense of receiving said knowledge...

Forever working on my CB's = Labor of Love

Comment

Just curious, but where did you get those susp components from? It wasnt one of those 100$ combo kit deal on ebay was it?

8 Accords so far:
          '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
          '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
          (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Originally posted by Cb_JoeyG View Post
            Just curious, but where did you get those susp components from? It wasnt one of those 100$ combo kit deal on ebay was it?
            I did my uppers (whole arm, forget price) just bought lbjs from honda oem(22 a piece!)
            I would always buy oem honda ball joints. Not worth risking your life on cheap after market.

Tie rods inner and outter honda wanted 80 a piece.....so they will have to wait....

Def get an alignment asap! I did not afterward and it ate through my tires.

But if your able to do the work and do it right i would say go for it, honestly i would wait until every thing is replaced before you get an alignment. They tell you they won't align your vehicle if there is still damaged bushings or ball joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Cb_JoeyG View Post
              I got everything but the lbj's on ebay. They are from a reputable dealer that another tuner had recommended. All together it was about $175

Comment

Prepare to do those over when they fail in 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                X