Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

FP race manifold (DSM) on f22a/h23 turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FP race manifold (DSM) on f22a/h23 turbo build

Overview: To my knowlege nobody else has tried running a high performance aftermarket Forced Performance manifold on an F22 with a dsm turbo set up. I did some research and read reviews on this manifold over on the dsm tuner forums and found that this is a direct plug and play swap for the oem 1g and 2g manifolds. Meaning it doesn't relocate the turbo any when compared to the oe manifold. So any f22/h23 dsm turbo guys. This manifold is where its at.
    I purchased this manifold for 220 shipped and Paypal fees via FB used and with only 4k miles on it!

Pros: (just about everything!)
    -smooth larger runners
    Doesn't need that exhaust pulse separator that the oe manifolds need.
    -smooth equal collector makes for a nice rumbly exhaust note (like a 4-1 header)
    -flows tons better
    -same cast iron and nickel content that turbine housings are made of so it's well built and not prone to cracking over cheap ebay tubular manifolds or oe stuff when you crank up the boost and heat!
    -a pro to this manifold for our f series engines is that the exhaust ports are slightly larger than than the ports on the head (this is fine and according to Jafromobile, desireable, i assume it has something to do with flow)

Fitment: as far as fitting the manifold onto the head, required modification is as follows.

Take an old exhaust manifold gasket and center it as best as possible to the ports on the manifold. Once you've secured the gasket with some masking tape or whatever bust out a new brightly colored dry erase marker and mark out the areas that need to be drilled/ground out. You may also do this with a thin scribe

Next would be to grind out the areas you just marked. However i found that a dremel and orange grinding bits dont cut quite as fast as a drill milling machine would with a small end mill. The next easiest way without having such a fancy shop and mill at your disposal is to wollow out the holes with a fairly large drill bit, I'd say about 9-10mm and then use the dremel with thise grinding bits to finish it out since trying to use a hand drill to apply axial force to oval a hole is near impossible.
    This takes a bit of time and effort, but well worth the simplicity and price range of many dsm turbo set ups.

Sidenote: The lower passenger side stud is too far from the flange to grab on so a large washer is needed to at least utilize that stud for some clamping force.
    Since the ports are slightly oversize dont sweat it if you feel that your drilling job isnt 100&#37; on center. For this reason the manifold is somewhat forgiving
    Last edited by Carbonaccord; 08-10-2017, 08:12 PM.

I've seen the FP DSM race manifold and it's very well designed. I'm also surprised given the number of turbo F22A's using the OEM DSM manifold that this one hasn't been tried before.

Props for your pioneering!
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Considering the price of a new replacement OE turbo manifold the Forced Performance race turbo manifold is the way to go.

The FP Race turbo manifold goes for $275.00 directly from Forced Performance. A new factory OE is typically only about $20 cheaper.

The material is called D5S Ni-Resist. Which contains 36% nickel, 5% Silicon and 2% Chromium.

The maximum manifold temperatures for D5S is also quite high for a manifold of it's type. 1598*F for the manifold with 1742*F for the exhaust gas temperature. 870*C and 950*C. And D5S is fairly easily machined.

The FP Race turbo manifold is also noticeably heaver as it weighs 15 lbs give or take. Factory DSM turbo manifolds weight about 10-12.

Forced Performance will port it for you for $95.00 and coat it for $120 and their coatings are done by Tirado.

I myself wondered why more people weren't using this turbo manifolds on their F22A DSM set ups. I figured it was because they were either unaware or they were picking up used factory manifolds on the cheap.

Comment

Some great info you got there! Blew me away lol.. yeah i never understood why nobody ever went FP manifold.. they're a little pricey over an oem but so much better in many aspects. I'll get some photos working soon i promise! Ive been trying from my s6 wich i feel is the problem.
        Edit: oh and shipping weight was 12lbs according to ups. So id say theyre dang close in weight
        Last edited by Carbonaccord; 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I see you are running a TDo5. What wastegate is that pictured?

I'm glad you shared this information btw. You seem to be doing some pioneering as apalileo stated.

Comment

I've never heard of this thing. I have a feeling many CB7 guys also aren't in the know unless they have DSM experience as well. It doesn't look all that impressive at first glance (though now that I see what it is, I'm impressed.)

I think it's also largely overlooked because 1) CB7 guys doing the DSM setup are usually trying to do the cheapest build possible. A $25 used DSM manifold that seems to be in good shape is what they're looking for. If they want to spend money, they probably go to Treadstone for a complete kit. Or 2) A shiny tubular stainless steel manifold that is made for the engine they're installing it on is likely what many people look for if they're doing something other than a stock DSM manifold. Any sort of performance-oriented manifold designed for the 4G63 is usually ignored because why buy something you have to modify when you can just buy something that is made to bolt right on!

That being said, this is probably a better option than damn near everything available for the F22A. If I was going to boost an F22A, a Treadstone kit would probably be my first choice... largely for the simplicity of getting a quality kit all in one shot... but this manifold is definitely intriguing!

Comment

You're right on the money deevergote. I would not have known about Forced Performance had I not owned a Subaru.
              1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

^^^ Wow, yeah. It's surely one of the most popular turbo manifolds in the DSM world. But it's cool that Carbonaccord seems to have brought it to attention though. The more options on the table the better.

Comment

Absolutely. Especially since anything quality that may have existed for the f22 specifically is probably out of production, or soon to be.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    I see you are running a TDo5. What wastegate is that pictured?

I'm glad you shared this information btw. You seem to be doing some pioneering as apalileo stated.
                    Hey no problem. Ive never ever touched a dsm in my life btw. I learn all about them through hours and hours of searching to get a nice retrofit set up going. Im not sure what wastegate it is (actuator i assume you asked about) but its an aftermarket unit with a 13psi spring and supposedly has farther throw than stock. My td05h has a ported wastegate and compressor outlet. Im actually going to get rid of it here soon! because 370 crankhp isn't enough for the supporting parts i have invested here. Im going with another td05h (clearance issues), but with a compressor cover thats machined for a 20g wheel (going billet 6 or 7 blade extended tip). And a 9 blade td05h turbine with 7cm ported exhaust housing and a stainless o2 housing with external wastegate and 3inch vband

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I've never heard of this thing. I have a feeling many CB7 guys also aren't in the know unless they have DSM experience as well. It doesn't look all that impressive at first glance (though now that I see what it is, I'm impressed.)
                      Thank ya sir! And Surprisingly I have zero dsm experience.. All the snooping around ive done over at dsm tuners has helped tremendously though lol which is why i knew about this manifold

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonaccord View Post
                        Hey no problem. Ive never ever touched a dsm in my life btw. I learn all about them through hours and hours of searching to get a nice retrofit set up going. Im not sure what wastegate it is (actuator i assume you asked about) but its an aftermarket unit with a 13psi spring and supposedly has farther throw than stock. My td05h has a ported wastegate and compressor outlet. Im actually going to get rid of it here soon! because 370 crankhp isn't enough for the supporting parts i have invested here. Im going with another td05h (clearance issues), but with a compressor cover thats machined for a 20g wheel (going billet 6 or 7 blade extended tip). And a 9 blade td05h turbine with 7cm ported exhaust housing and a stainless o2 housing with external wastegate and 3inch vband
                        Yeah the actuator arm is adjustable on that one. But I've never seen that exact one before. The OEM replacement for the 14b/16g is like $195. And of course I need one which is why I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonaccord View Post
                          Can you give me more info on this i was gonna try a 20g with dsm manifold on my f22 but i was wondering about fitment issues

Comment

Like deev said, we only use the Dsm setup for a extreamly cost effective turbo setup.. also most Accord/dsm guys stop at a 16g turbo. There’s really no benifeit in a manifold upgrade for these dsm turbos. Anything asfter that they always jump to t3/t4 and get a full stainless. It’s actually more cost effective to go t3/t4 then it is to get a 20g and good manifold also less hassle. Good find tho

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 99integraf22 View Post
                              Can you give me more info on this i was gonna try a 20g with dsm manifold on my f22 but i was wondering about fitment issues
                              The 20g will not fit with a dsm manifold on our cars. The block needs to be ground away to much cause the manifold is to “short”.

my new turbo build

Comment

Working...
                              X