Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofitting with TRS, need projector knowledge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofitting with TRS, need projector knowledge!

Hey all, after chatting with deeve on Facebook about hids for the better part of yesterday I've decided I really want them lol

So I know that TRS is good/decent stuff, so naturally I'll use them.
    My problem is this; I can't find anyone to tell me if the mini h1 projector will fit in my housing WITH a shroud without cutting my reflector or the shroud!
    I don't mind cutting the bulb socket to fit the threaded end of the projector thru to secure it but I don't want to cut up anything else if I can avoid it.

I was going to do it with the matchbox 2.0 projector, but I can get B stock projectors from TRS for half the cost, same with a ballast which is a whole another question I have;

Will this ballast do the job, or is it cheap garbage?
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/clo...l#.Vduk5yrnbmy

Anyone that can help me out will be my new best buddy lol

The shrouds are just plastic, you cut them to fit your reflector dishes. There's no way they'd fit many OEM dishes otherwise. Be careful to do a neat job and it'll look great.

I would think TRS stands behind anything they sell, but that ballast set is a closeout item and it does warn that there are no guarantees or warranties. Lol @ "Discontinued: For A Reason". If you can afford to potentially lose $40, I'd probably risk it. Personally, I only have experience with Morimotos and they've been great on both of my setups.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

you will have to hack your housings to pieces. matchbox projector is REALLY small. would not recommend them for regular lights. those are meant for high beam or fog light.

i have mini d2s 3.0 in my acura cl-s6. they work great. i also had the mini h1 too. those worked good but for the $$ and time just get a decent projector right off the bat.

ive been to TRS as its local, and those people are REALLY helpful and will answer any question you might have. thats the only spot i buy lights from. NEVER had an issue with any products or people there.
      COUPE K24

Comment

So will the mini H1 projector fit in my housing without cutting it up too much? I'm not looking for top notch, just to be able to see at night, my stock lights suck big time!

Deeve suggested the matchbox 2.0 but I can't afford them. Plain and simple lol

The D2S is even bigger around than the MH1, even tho it's shorter I'd be concerned with space and needing extensive cutting..but even then I can't afford those either, I'm looking at "B stock" MH1's for a measly $50 for a reason lol same reason I'm looking at "B stock" ballasts lol

I saw this post where someone used MH1's, old ones..http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...rd-morimoto-h1

My parts list was;

Fast bright 55w ballasts
        TRS B stock mini H1 projectors
        Mini gatling shrouds (H1 only)
        promote xb 6500k H1 bulbs
        TRS relay harness (9006)
        TRS high beam splitter (male H1>H1/9006 female)
        Last edited by CB7DX420; 08-25-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

A Mini H1 will fit, but the shroud will need to be cut to fit the headlight housing - you shouldn't need to cut up your housing beyond the rear mount hole, but there's no escaping cutting the shroud. B-stock parts aren't likely to be ready for install. Just like they tell you, you're going to end up spending more money on parts getting them right if their fault (and they do have a fault) is something that affects the output alignment.

Are your stock headlights black-housed or damaged... are they properly aimed? Why are you saying the output is so bad? If there's something wrong with them and all you care about is 'what is necessary', why spend the money on a retrofit?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Glass lenses are crystal clear and aimed right, I just can't see shit on my road. I drive on a country 2 lane road that does 55 (most do 65) and even an old farm trucks light overpower mine and blind me.

I realize they have a fault of some kind, but I also saw reviews of them being perfectly fine on arrival, even they themselves admit to super high standards on what passes for perfect or goes to closeout.

I'm confused why the gatling shroud needs cut, it's supposed to be super low profile I woulda thought it to fit without cutting.
            What cutting needs done?

Comment

Shrouds come as a complete circle. Because of the size and shape of the CB's headlight housings, notice how the tops and bottoms have to be cut off to fit the shroud in there. As long as you make it a tight fit, it'll look like it belongs there.

"Low profile" I think just means they're shallow, so they're even easier to fit into more styles of headlight housings.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-26-2015, 06:15 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I see, so I'd have to trim a flat spot of sorts so it'll sit all the way back in the housing?

Comment

Yup.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

don't skimp on the ballasts and HID kits. When I got my retrofitted lights I made the mistake of running ddm tuning bulbs and ballasts. Output was shit. Switched to morimoto hid bulbs and ballasts and the difference was night and day

Comment

I would jump up to the Mini D2S personally. Significantly better light distribution. You will have to modify your housings slightly- basically cut the center hole out to accomodate the bigger shaft. CB headlights are dirt cheap so that shouldn't be an issue. I too would spend a little money on the bulb and ballast. Cheap shit = wack lighting at best, a potential fire at the worst. I have an MD2S 3.0 kit sitting in a box in my garage.... just have to get headlights to hack up.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I have Morimoto Mini D2S projectors with the X-lens (rectangular cut) and Ocular shrouds in JDM one piece headlights. I love them! The X-lenses do have a strange cut off pattern because of the way the curvature is affected by the flattened edges. They are dead straight left to right until you get to the far ends of the beam (the peripherals?) where they slightly curve downward.

Best recommendation I have during installation is to tape the top and the bottom of the shroud with blue painter's tape and draw your estimated lines on it as your guide to cutting. A few test fits, trims and re-tests and then you can peel away the remaining tape to reveal a clean edge.

I initially ran Morimoto 35W ballasts and 4300K bulbs and randomly changed them out for Innovited 55W ballasts and 5000K bulbs. I had to make an AMP to D2S harness, but that wasn't hard at all.

Lastly, look into the HD relay kit. I know the HID kits will work without them, but it's a good piece of mind to have them wired in on their own circuit rather than depending on the OEM power supply.
                        1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

What's the performance difference between 35w and 55w? I've used 35w+5000k on both of mine.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                            What's the performance difference between 35w and 55w? I've used 35w+5000k on both of mine.
                            55w is a lot brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                              55w is a lot brighter.
                              This is true. I had one of my 55W ballasts fail on me and swapped in one of the 35W to fill in for it while the replacement was being shipped. Noticeable difference from side to side. Still though, even at 35W, they're definitely brighter than halogens!
                              1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Working...
                              X