Car wont start unless key is held forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car wont start unless key is held forward

So earlier as I was driving, I noticed my dash lights dimming where it got to the point that the car was about to die off.....As I went into the store and got back in the car, I put the key in and turned it forward to start the car, but it wouldn't turn on. It feels like it's turning on but it turns right off....So I decided to leave the key forward (physically holding pressure on the turned key) and it worked. I also noticed that my remote start alarm turned the car on fine with no problems...could it be the ignition switch?

Yes.

Comment

Had exact same problem...LOL I drove it with one hand on the key with pressure like you said ....all the way to the mechanic. Yes it's the ignition.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

LOL it tired me out, considering it was about a 25-30 min drive home. Thanks for the confirmation y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by Accord214 View Post
          LOL it tired me out, considering it was about a 25-30 min drive home. Thanks for the confirmation y'all!
          LOL my incident was about 3 years ago and my wrist still hurts. I remember letting go at a light and putting it in "N" to rest my hand. Engine went off anyway.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

Try imagine doing the same with 5 speed on streets driving to and from a parts store for a new ignition switch.

It was fun!!
            A&P-IA

Comment

So, are you guys driving with the key in position 3?
              Does that keep the starter running the whole time?
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I had to keep it in between "on" and "start", all the while the key is fighting back to go in "on" position.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Makes me remember another vehicle I had with ignition problem...
                  Driving one of those Super Shuttle vans, a Doge Ram. Done with passengers, I drive up to Dodger Stadium to buy some tickets. The stadium is up a mountain and built in the ravine. I get the tickets and got to the van and put the key in the ignition and it goes round and round. I call the AAA tow and the operator says....Where is the van located at? I said Dodger Stadium. She says......What city is that in?

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

Any tips on replacing it? I took the plastics off from the steering column, and I believe I see it....it looks like it's in a tight spot

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                      Makes me remember another vehicle I had with ignition problem...
                      Driving one of those Super Shuttle vans, a Doge Ram. Done with passengers, I drive up to Dodger Stadium to buy some tickets. The stadium is up a mountain and built in the ravine. I get the tickets and got to the van and put the key in the ignition and it goes round and round. I call the AAA tow and the operator says....Where is the van located at? I said Dodger Stadium. She says......What city is that in?
                      The operators aren't local...
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Accord214 View Post
                        Any tips on replacing it? I took the plastics off from the steering column, and I believe I see it....it looks like it's in a tight spot
                        Its fairly easy. You just have to get behind it with a miniature philips head and remove the two small screws holding in the white cylinder. Then just pull the wiring out, which ends up plugged in right there by the fuse box.

Just remember to disconnect the battery before you do this. If you happen to touch the screwdriver to some shit in that spot (which is easy considering the small ass space you are working in) it'll blow a fuse... Can't remember which one but I've blown that fuse a couple of times fucking with the ignition switch.

Comment

just to make sure you know, here is what you need to replace:

The screws you need to take off:

And where it plugs into on fuse box:

Its an easy job, good luck how this can help you if you need it.

I also had to drive with my hand holding the key in just the right spot to keep it running. It sucked, but glad it was only for like 10 miles.
                          Cappuccino Member #9<--- click for thread

^click for MRT^
                          CB9 MRT-R.I.P.
                          Coupe MRT

Comment

Working...
                          X