Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Needs replace", "Needs rebuilt", "For sell"... why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people who are generally intelligent are receptive to constructive criticism if it helps them better themselves in some regard. If you corrected some of the mouth-breathers on this forum about their spelling, incorrect grammar or mistaken word usage and gave them the correct usage, you'd be berated as the insensitive jackass. Try it next time someone says, "I seen this today..." or "thx 4 ur comments n da suggestions 2 do 2 my ride".

You'll quickly find that they are retards and get really defensive or they choose to talk that way knowing very well what the correct ways to communicate are.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Indeed. That's why I said Portuguese.

And yes... slang exists everywhere.
      Hell, when I first hung out with an online Honda buddy that came to NYC, I didn't know what he was talking about when he said "birds"... took me about 5 minutes to register that he was talking about girls!
      what was your reaction when he talked about cigarettes
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        I think people who are generally intelligent are receptive to constructive criticism if it helps them better themselves in some regard. If you corrected some of the mouth-breathers on this forum about their spelling, incorrect grammar or mistaken word usage and gave them the correct usage, you'd be berated as the insensitive jackass. Try it next time someone says, "I seen this today..." or "thx 4 ur comments n da suggestions 2 do 2 my ride".

You'll quickly find that they are retards and get really defensive or they choose to talk that way knowing very well what the correct ways to communicate are.
        That is true. I've corrected a number of people on here, and the response is usually "whatever ur not my teachur" or "grammur nazi"
        Some people that I've corrected have actually learned, though. One member, years ago now, even sent me a PM thanking me for being hard on them about their writing. Apparently they applied for a job, and when they were hired, the hiring manager commented on their good grammar. Apparently I was to blame for said good grammar!

I usually only hassle people when I legitimately can't understand what they're saying. I've seen posts run up to 15-20 on-topic replies that were completely off-base because the original post was unclear.
        I think that's a big part of why "for sell" and "needs replace" bugs me so much. What they're saying is clear. It's just incorrect, and looks stupid.
        That's why I asked if it was something that was perhaps due to thinking primarily in another language. I've seen people that I know to speak English fluently say such things, but I also know that in normal life, they're probably speaking Spanish most often. If it's a translation issue, it's not "stupid"... merely improper.

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
        what was your reaction when he talked about cigarettes
        I remember that conversation in a McDonald's in Jersey City quite clearly!
        I was ready for that one, though

Comment

Another one I never understood was when someone says:

What all do I need to . . .

I just dont get how people think that randomly throwing "all" in a sentence makes sense??

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I never took notice to that one before, but now that's going to bug me too! That might be something that comes from Southern US dialect.

Comment

i talked to this guy and he actually seems like a pretty decent person, just seems like he can't type worth a damn.

"I have a brand new set of lsa heads bare an I have a ls2 block wit hole rotating assembly lifters cam complete short block disassemble ready for rebuild going in a different direction wit build asking 1500 firm"
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

maybe the think they need to leave words out because thats what people did back when they put it in the newspaper. maybe they think its 25 cents a word and they dont want to be charged 50 cents to add "to be". seems pretty smart to me.

-sean
                Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

It's merely people writing how they speak.

I need to drop all my slang and shortening of words in everyday speech.
                  speak properly and sound more sophisticated.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

These folk would; erm, umm, err and ahh a lot in conversations.

Comment

That's true. Though I use a good deal of slang when I speak. I even incorporate it in my typing, when I feel it applies.

When trying to sell something, or asking for help repairing, modifying, etc... I do my best not do to such things.

I suppose it IS a sign of intelligence in that case. If you're so unaware of how incorrect your daily speech is that you type it word for word when trying to sell something, that's exactly what it is!
                    I guess it explains the lack of punctuation as well. Punctuation is simply implied in speech. I wonder if these people that type one long sentence actually pause between thoughts as they're typing.

Comment

On a Delaware Honda Facebook page: "HX WHEELS FOR STEELIES I need clean steelies w tiers hxs Fairly used tyres Painted but still clean"

Comment

Maybe he's British!

It's not a misspelling or grammar issue... but I recently saw a guy listing a set of "mint" tires with 75% tread left. That's like a "fresh" cheeseburger with a couple bites taken out of it!

Comment

Reading through this thread reminds me of a very special and dear member who is no longer with us. He was the king of long single sentence replies! When he got criticized because no one could understand him, I will never forget his response:

"this is a car sit not dam english class"

This makes me want to start a silly off topic thread where we post our impressions of lazy internet typing.
                          Last edited by af_1132; 04-05-2014, 05:05 AM.
                          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Maybe he's British!

It's not a misspelling or grammar issue... but I recently saw a guy listing a set of "mint" tires with 75% tread left. That's like a "fresh" cheeseburger with a couple bites taken out of it!
                            Almost caught me to comment before I read your post, then realized that you realized that it's overseas lingo too . . . However - it's actually spelt "Tires", Not Tiers"

Not nitpicking . . . haha

I should really use more "English" around here haha.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Is spelt a word?
                              Yes, tires... But I was referring to tyres. At least that one was a real word!

Comment

Is spelt a word?
                                Outside of the USA its a commonly used word

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                                X