No Shift Lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Shift Lock?

I've been doing some reading, and it seems that my automatic transmission is supposed to require the break pedal to be depressed before the engine will start, and the gear shifter should be locked in park when the ignition is off, unless the key is inserted into the shift locker.

Neither currently work, and while it isn't the end of the world it is something I'd like to fix to continue my factory restoration. Any thoughts? Can't find anything else posted on the forums.

Originally posted by Scolirk View Post
    I've been doing some reading, and it seems that my automatic transmission is supposed to require the break pedal to be depressed before the engine will start, and the gear shifter should be locked in park when the ignition is off, unless the key is inserted into the shift locker.

Neither currently work, and while it isn't the end of the world it is something I'd like to fix to continue my factory restoration. Any thoughts? Can't find anything else posted on the forums.
    Sounds like someone bypassed the brake switch. Probably for an auto start alarm feature.

Check to make sure the brake switch is connected and functioning properly?

Comment

unless where you can put a key to move the shift if say car battery is dead is jammed down ?

Links to my rides :
      1992 Accord EX*
      1990 Accord EX
      1991 Accord SE (4th)
      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
      1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
        unless where you can put a key to move the shift if say car battery is dead is jammed down ?
        I don't believe the shift lock is jammed down, I'll take a quick look when I head to the garage before bed. I'm sure I've stuck the key in there before and felt it catch like it should, but never had to use it before.

I'll also take a look at the brake switch, I assume it should be around the brake pedal? I doubt the kid before me had an alarm, considering there's no power locks.

Comment

I don't believe the shift lock is jammed down, I'll take a quick look when I head to the garage before bed. I'm sure I've stuck the key in there before and felt it catch like it should, but never had to use it before.

I'll also take a look at the brake switch, I assume it should be around the brake pedal? I doubt the kid before me had an alarm, considering there's no power locks.
          The brake switch is on the back of the pedal stick were it lands when pressed.
          if that is bad I think your back tail lights wont light up if that's dead, someone correct me if I am wrong ?

Links to my rides :
          1992 Accord EX*
          1990 Accord EX
          1991 Accord SE (4th)
          1991 Accord SE (3rd)
          1991 Accord SE (2ND)
          1991 Accord SE

Comment

Actually you are confused. The automatic requires the brake to be depressed to shift from park. If you can shift from park without depressing the brake or shift gears without the keys in the car then most likely someone either removed the shift lock solenoid because it broke or they broke the plunger out of it because it got stuck. My shift lock solenoid was cooking my AT computer and had to be replaced on my SE.

Your car should only start in park or neutral and should NOT require the brake to be depressed to start the vehicle.
            Last edited by wildBill83; 09-07-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Yes the car will only turn over in park/neutral.

Brake lights work but I can't see much above the pedal.

The key does seem to press a switch in the shift lock when inserted.

Are the solenoids interchangeable between late 80s/early 90s Hondas? I found an 88 prelude in the wrecker, it appeared the shift lock was functioning at the time.

Comment

I took a look through my shop manual, shows that the shift lock solenoid is located under the shift assembly in the centre console. I really dislike the Haynes manuals only because I'm a visual learner, rather than an instructional step-by-step learner.

I really don't want to take apart the centre console again, so I'll probably bench this problem for a little while. I think my factory radio needs to be re-conditioned, so if I decide to do that I'll end up pulling off the trim and tackle the shift lock.

Comment

I took a look through my shop manual, shows that the shift lock solenoid is located under the shift assembly in the centre console. I really dislike the Haynes manuals only because I'm a visual learner, rather than an instructional step-by-step learner.

I really don't want to take apart the centre console again, so I'll probably bench this problem for a little while. I think my factory radio needs to be re-conditioned, so if I decide to do that I'll end up pulling off the trim and tackle the shift lock.
                  You can get a factory service manual off ebay for ~$20. I got mine there for $22. Totally worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
                    You can get a factory service manual off ebay for ~$20. I got mine there for $22. Totally worth it.
                    I have a PDF version on my laptop, I should really transfer it over to my iPad so I can use it in the garage. I'll flip through it and see what it says about the lock.

Comment

Working...
                    X