Thinking of a New Project Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of a New Project Car

I've been toying with the idea of a new project car. I love the Accord, but unfortunately in my profession Hondas aren't the cars to drive clients around in. Obviously buying an older anything isn't either, however I've got my eye on a few possibilities, but wanted to know if anyone's had experience working on older Mercedes.

This one really doesn't qualify as a project, since it needs no work. But I'm looking at similar models, anything prior to 95. Thoughts?

Buy somthing you can afford to repair and maintain.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
    dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
      Those are the supposedly the ones with all the problems. Even the MB dealers auction them instead of reselling them.
      I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I've been doing my research on the W124 rather than the S class. I think it'll come down to finding the right car that's been maintained well like my Accord. That, and finding a decent forum dedicated to the platform like this.

Comment

Im assuming you need something to drive clients around in for real estate right?

I would stay clear of high end imports like MERC or BMW.

Yes it's classy, but for shuffling people around, house to house, it's just an unnecessary expense imo.

The agent I used to buy my house had a Lexus SUV, not sure what model. It was very comfortable and plenty of room. She took myself, my inlaws, and my wife in the truck to about 7 or 8 houses.

Didn't hear complaints from the others.

Im not saying specifically Lexus, but I would stick to the more easily fixed/cheaper models but maybe their upscale counterparts as such Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.

Just as classy, but not so expensive.

Just my .2

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          Im assuming you need something to drive clients around in for real estate right?

I would stay clear of high end imports like MERC or BMW.

Yes it's classy, but for shuffling people around, house to house, it's just an unnecessary expense imo.

The agent I used to buy my house had a Lexus SUV, not sure what model. It was very comfortable and plenty of room. She took myself, my inlaws, and my wife in the truck to about 7 or 8 houses.

Didn't hear complaints from the others.

Im not saying specifically Lexus, but I would stick to the more easily fixed/cheaper models but maybe their upscale counterparts as such Lexus/Infiniti/Acura.

Just as classy, but not so expensive.

Just my .2
          We were looking at the Lexus RX450h (I think) for my wife, apparently it's one of the better SUVs to get. That would be the main work vehicle, and the 'project car' would just be for tooling around/casual work (ie showing up for pop-bys with clients and things like that).

Wifey is going to inherit the Accord by the end of the year, it'll be her new baby-mobile while we upgrade. My buddy is a car journalist and suggests the Acura ILX or Cadillac ATS as a main vehicle.

I'm looking for my secondary vehicle though, something that won't get driven daily, isn't traditionally considered anything special but fun and interesting to drive

Comment

Old high-end European cars are going to be money pits. Ironically, the fancier models are often regarded as the least reliable (the 7 series is known to fall apart, while the 3 series is considered as reliable as a Civic... the S class and C class are much the same.)
            The only Euro brand I'd trust would be Volvo... but the older ones aren't really regarded as being terribly luxurious. They won't really impress anyone.

Older American luxury cars aren't all that luxurious... though a Lincoln LS and 1st gen Cadillac CTS are pretty nice cars (if the LS was more powerful, I'd likely have bought one myself... my own ReMax realtor drove a black one a decade ago when he sold me my house, and I adored it.)

Older Japanese luxury is most likely the best way to go. The Lexus LS is a classy looking car. Even going back to the 1st generation, as long as it's in pristine condition. The maintenance cost won't be much lower than the Germans, but the reliability factor is a bit higher.
            I'd avoid the Infiniti Q45.
            The Acura Legend is beautiful, but dated looking. The RL is just boring as hell to me.

So, if you get an older luxury car, I'd vote for Lexus. If you go newer, I'd go for the CTS or Lincoln LS. Perhaps even a Chrysler 300 (I hate Chrysler, but they got something right with that car!)

Comment

I've been going back and forth on many different models, Volvo was one I was going to pick over the Accord actually, but the Honda ended up being a better deal at the time and I don't regret it. I'd buy a Volvo V40/70 wagon in a heartbeat, assuming I don't mind being divorced. My wife will not allow me to buy any sort of wagon

An older Cadillac STS was on my list actually. I always said I would never buy a Cadillac, however some of the older ones (without 100% plastic interiors) are pretty cool. Lexus/Infiniti are off the list though, I find their 90s models to be pretty unattractive.

I'll admit I don't really know what I'm looking for, other than just a 'cool car'. Hell, yesterday afternoon I was on Auto Trader looking for a GMC S15/Sonoma. My definition of Cool Car is pretty generic, as long as the car has been well maintained, is in excellent cosmetic condition and isn't an audible/visual nuisance; then it's a cool car. I wont be making this purchase for a number of years anyway, until I move into a house with more garages. It'll be a third car.

Comment

Dammit... I hate when I have a long response typed, and I click away before sending it!

Anyway, buy a new CTS-V wagon and tell the wife to STFU!

Newer Volvos make pretty lousy performance projects, sadly. They have some potential, but there's very little you can do with them without getting really creative, and/or digging deep in your pockets. The older ones (240/740/940... even the 760/960 if you don't mind automatic) are the ones that you can really pull performance from. BUT, they're old, and will need as much work as a CB7, if not more. Sparse aftermarket in comparison to the CB as well.

If driving clients around is the goal, I'd not make this a "project car". I'd suggest getting something solid and classy that you don't touch with a wrench if you're not performing regular maintenance or repairs. Find something else to play with as a project (such as the CB7.)

The Lincoln LS gets my vote, personally. It fits that bill nicely, and the fact that my own realtor had one makes me think it's a fantastic car for a real estate agent. The classic design doesn't look TOO dated yet, as long as the car is in good condition and shined up nicely!

Comment

Deev has a thing for this "realtor". lol.

If I was picking up an old luxo car, Id go along with everything said here.
                  The LS400 is pretty much bullet proof. That would be my choice.

Comment

I have a thing for the Lincoln LS

It just so happens that the one that I first noticed belonged to my realtor, a ReMax realtor... fitting, since Scolirk himself is a ReMax realtor.

Comment

Now that you've mentioned the Lincoln LS, I'm noticing a lot more of them as I drive around! I think you may have convinced me on it. My first car was a Ford, and it was surprisingly reliable, and the two dozen or so available for sale in my area seem to be in good shape. Only 1 with a black interior though. What's the deal with grey interiors

Comment

Working...
                      X