Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most DSLRs use a sensor that is smaller than your traditional 35mm film frame. This is why if you take a 24mm lens and slap it on your camera with a smaller sensor, you have to multiple the focal length by 1.5 for most Nikons, and 1.6 for most Canons. Thus, the 24mm really is a 36mm. Full frame cameras have a sensor that is the same size as a 35mm frame. This results in higher quality photos and your 24mm stays a 24mm.

This is why an:

8MP p&s file has less information per file than a 8MP DSLR with a cropped sensor.
    And why an 8MP DSLR has less information per file than an 8MP DSLR fullframe camera.
    The sensor with the most surface area can take in the most information. You can have 8MP squeezed into a tiny sensor, or have 8MP for a large, fullframe sensor. Obviously the fullframe sensor, with the larger surface area, can take in and use much more information detail than the point and shoot with the same MP count.

This is why MP is such a marketing gimmick. Companies want you to believe your 10MP point and shoot camera has the same quality files as a big DSLR with 10MP. Truthfully, it couldn't be further from the truth.
    Last edited by Zenzanon; 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
      oh man! its sooo sick. i really love it. my 40d is probably gonna collect dust now.
      Use it for Rig shots.
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

ill use it for sports. and also for a teleconverter for my lenses. im sure there will be plenty of times ill use it actually.

"Tucking tires and wires."
        The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenzanon View Post
          Most DSLRs use a sensor that is smaller than your traditional 35mm film frame. This is why if you take a 24mm lens and slap it on your camera with a smaller sensor, you have to multiple the focal length by 1.5 for most Nikons, and 1.6 for most Canons. Thus, the 24mm really is a 36mm. Full frame cameras have a sensor that is the same size as a 35mm frame. This results in higher quality photos and your 24mm stays a 24mm.

This is why an:

8MP p&s file has less information per file than a 8MP DSLR with a cropped sensor.
          And why an 8MP DSLR has less information per file than an 8MP DSLR fullframe camera.
          The sensor with the most surface area can take in the most information. You can have 8MP squeezed into a tiny sensor, or have 8MP for a large, fullframe sensor. Obviously the fullframe sensor, with the larger surface area, can take in and use much more information detail than the point and shoot with the same MP count.

This is why MP is such a marketing gimmick. Companies want you to believe your 10MP point and shoot camera has the same quality files as a big DSLR with 10MP. Truthfully, it couldn't be further from the truth.
          Thanks. That makes sense man. Now I want a fullframe. d200s full frame? I don't think so...
          Click for my ride thread.

Comment

D200 has a crop factor of 1.5, so no, it isn't full frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenzanon View Post
              D200 has a crop factor of 1.5, so no, it isn't full frame.
              I'm going to guess full frame camera's are stinkin' expensive then!

... d40 ftw?

zelseman or whtaver the name is (sorry) don't forget to tell me what you did with that graffiti picture.

Comment

If you are looking for a full frame camera from nikon then your only options are D3, D700, and D3x as Nikon entered the full frame game fairly recently. You also need to ask yourself if you really need a full frame as its a hefty investment since any digital lenses you may have will not work with a full frame camera. Personally i dont see myself upgrading to full frame unless im getting paid for my photos on regular basis. Im more than happy with my new D90 and it should last me for a long time. I actually have been thinking of converting my D70 to infrared.
                The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                Check out my JDM F22B swap
                Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
                  If you are looking for a full frame camera from nikon then your only options are D3, D700, and D3x as Nikon entered the full frame game fairly recently. You also need to ask yourself if you really need a full frame as its a hefty investment since any digital lenses you may have will not work with a full frame camera. Personally i dont see myself upgrading to full frame unless im getting paid for my photos on regular basis. Im more than happy with my new D90 and it should last me for a long time. I actually have been thinking of converting my D70 to infrared.
                  I agree. It's one of those "there is always something better" moments. I feel like a full frame is definitely an upgrade though, where say a d300 from a d90 is kinda an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
                    I agree. It's one of those "there is always something better" moments. I feel like a full frame is definitely an upgrade though, where say a d300 from a d90 is kinda an upgrade.
                    well to be honest with you a D300 from D90 is not really an upgrade. When I was looking for a new camera I actually was looking at either the D300 or D90. Their image quality in almost exactly the same. There has been a lot of debate concerning if the new D90 was using a D300 sensor. The sensor is very similar but the D300's sensor has more tightly placed pixels. Both cameras have pretty much the same spectacular image quality and high ISO performance which was what i was looking for. I didn't need the magnesium alloy body and fast fps so the D90 was a perfect choice for me. I upgraded from a D70 so that was much more of an upgrade.
                    Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
                      well to be honest with you a D300 from D90 is not really an upgrade. When I was looking for a new camera I actually was looking at either the D300 or D90. Their image quality in almost exactly the same. There has been a lot of debate concerning if the new D90 was using a D300 sensor. The sensor is very similar but the D300's sensor has more tightly placed pixels. Both cameras have pretty much the same spectacular image quality and high ISO performance which was what i was looking for. I didn't need the magnesium alloy body and fast fps so the D90 was a perfect choice for me. I upgraded from a D70 so that was much more of an upgrade.
                      My point exactly. Full frame appears to be the real upgrade. I want a d90. But then you can even say a d90 isn't worth it next to a d40.

Comment

image quality isnt everything. ease of use, layout, and build can change ur rate of success.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

image quality isnt everything. ease of use, layout, and build can change ur rate of success.
                          Yeah that too, good point.

Well enough chatter. Do work with the new camera and post up!

Comment

i do agree with you. in my situation image quality was my top priority. i never had a build problem with my D70 and it's seen a lot of use in different environments from night clubs to rainy weather while hiking. Now on the D90 everything is very accessible to the point where once set to my taste i pretty much don't need to touch the menu button while shooting. The dedicated Live View button also make life easier rather than going into menu in D300 to enable it.

Looking forward to seeing some shots with the new 5D Will that be the new rig for your club work now?
                            Watch my CB7 video

Comment

This is my favorite shot of all time. no post processing just pure good luck and beautiful winter sunset colors.

DEVOTE

Comment

that looks a heck of a lot like a pot plant

Comment

Working...
                                X