Rustyaccord : 1943 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rustyaccord : 1943 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1

Every time I take my gun out to shoot, I am reminded of how blessed we are in the USA to have the 2nd Amendment. It's such a shame that other countries don't feel the same about firearm ownership. I was gun shopping with a friend of mine about mid September last year as he was looking for a Mauser and I was along for the ride. He ended up with a 91/30 Mosin Nagant and I fell in love with a fairly nice looking Lee Enfield. The steel is in excellent shape and the wood just needed a little TLC. I have always liked the Lee Enfields ever since I first encountered one while playing COD 3. I love old military rifles in general so it was the perfect opportunity to get exactly what I wanted and as a bonus, it was a project and an investment so it was a smart purchase.

The day I bought it:

It is a 1943 No4 Mk1 Serial #13696. It was manufactured in the Royal Ordinance Factory in Maltby, South Yorkshire, England. The bolt and receiver are numbers matching, as for the rest of the gun, I'm not sure. This one had clearly never been cleaned since before it had been dipped in cosmoline so I stripped it to the bare bones and scrubbed out as much as I could get.

The difference between the old oil/cosmoline finish and bare wood:

Reproduction sling:

The finished product! I think it still needs another coat or two of boiled linseed oil:

My Enfield and my friend's 91/30:

I later found out that the Parker Hale company in England produced rear peep sights for these and many other rifles in the 50's and 60's when sporterizing old surplus rifles was popular for shooting competitions and hunting. I found a PH5C on ebay which I ordered and probably paid too much for but at this point, these old sights are collectible so another investment was how I justified the purchase. I might try and find an original eyepiece for it but they came with all kinds so I'll probably stick with this one for the time being. It's a very well made sight. It weighs quite a bit for its size and both dovetails are still very tight.

Pardon the blurry photo, shaky hands.

In all, it turned out pretty slick! I haven't had a chance to zero in the sight yet but hopefully I'll get out this weekend and make an afternoon out of it. I absolutely love this rifle! It shoots spot on, and despite being 74 years old, still kicks like a horse. I've got to hand it to the British, they sure knew how to make a kick-ass rifle!

Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017, 07:14 PM.

Looking good there my Lee Enfield buddy! Nice find on the sight and the sling.

I didn't know this until recently but the barrel on these Lee Enfields we got have to "float" in the stock properly in order to have the accuracy that they were intended to have. Mine wasn't correct but it is now. There are videos on the Tube about setting it properly. You may already know this. I didn't until recently and I've had mine for years.

Anyways, it's neat to find someone who takes as much interest in these Lee Enfields as I do. Looks like maybe you take even more interest!

So that your 1943 No4 Mk1 isn't lonely below is a small pic of my 1943 No4 Mk1 w/ Mk3 revision. Yours is a bit slicker than mine. Not meant to thread jack ya.

Maybe do some vids of your Enfield in action if you feel like it. It might not be appealing to everyone but you know I'll sure as heck enjoy it and so will a few others. Oh, maybe you should do a review, that'd be cool too.

Comment

That IS a very nice Enfield, I would like to get one myself but maybe not as a shooter, just to have. I would like to have the big four Mauser, Enfield, Springfield, and the CB7 of the riffle world; the Mosin. I actually gave my brother an excellent condition Mosin Nagant as a graduation present, later on i became so jealous of the present i gave him
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Update:

I rubbed in a second coat of BLO and the stock really shines now, especially in the sun!

Comment

That's some nice wood if I do say so myself.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the Beech/Birch wood stocks on these rifles but this walnut really surprised me with how well it cleaned up. Of course it's covered in battle scars but that's part of its history.

Comment

Working...
            X