blower motor going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blower motor going out?

Lately I feel that the A/C isn't blowing as hard as it should be (fan speed) especially when its really hot out. Can the blower motor exhibit signs of going out by simply blowing at a slower speed? If thats the case then I'll go buy one right now, it was 108*F today and my car took about 15 min to cool the cabin down. Idk it just feels like its not blowing as fast as it should be. And yes its on Recirculate.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

yup. I have replaced my blower motor three or four times now. Granted this was in 3 different cb7's but as far as I know this is a very common cb7 problem. Mine all got to the point of haveing to punch the dash under the passenger side to make the motor even turn on before i replaced them.

^Click Me!^

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer987 View Post
      yup. I have replaced my blower motor three or four times now. Granted this was in 3 different cb7's but as far as I know this is a very common cb7 problem. Mine all got to the point of haveing to punch the dash under the passenger side to make the motor even turn on before i replaced them.
      ok so this symtom seems to point toward a blower motor going bad right? not the resistor thing?

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Im not sure what resistor your talking about. Does the heater still blow a ton of hot air? My vents just werent moving much air then eventually the blower would quit... in the middle of winter when I was freezing my ass off!

^Click Me!^

Comment

Its the resistor that controls the fan speed I think its a ceramic looking thing with wires coming out of it

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

For both the motor and resistor, it'll either work or not work. The resistors even when completely dead will still allow the motor to turn on on the highest setting as it is completely bypassed (at max, the motor gets full 12v power).

The reason the motor dies is due to the brushes wearing out and no longer making contact with the shaft. So like the resistor, it'll either work or not work. Have you ever taken a look at the evaporator before? Mine was blowing somewhat weak long time ago and when I took the blower motor box out, the evaporator was clogged up with pine needles and dust.

I've also seen the flapper motor (the motor that controls fresh air/recirculate) malfunction getting the flap stuck half way.

Comment

Originally posted by YK86 View Post
              For both the motor and resistor, it'll either work or not work. The resistors even when completely dead will still allow the motor to turn on on the highest setting as it is completely bypassed (at max, the motor gets full 12v power).

The reason the motor dies is due to the brushes wearing out and no longer making contact with the shaft. So like the resistor, it'll either work or not work. Have you ever taken a look at the evaporator before? Mine was blowing somewhat weak long time ago and when I took the blower motor box out, the evaporator was clogged up with pine needles and dust.

I've also seen the flapper motor (the motor that controls fresh air/recirculate) malfunction getting the flap stuck half way.
              wow, it took a lot longer than I thought. About 30 min to get the blower motor and housing out, but then I had to figure out how to remove the blades carefully and had to splice two wires onto the connector leads...since I bought an Autozone blower motor instead of OEM. Total time start to finish was about 2.5 hrs. Cost was $125 with tax vs $256+ tax for OE so I saved a good amount. The motor is made by SIEMENS so its a pretty good quality unit.

I did notice some debris after the blower motor housing, so I vacuumed that out, but it also looked like stuff was stuck in the fins of the Evap. that I couldn't remove w/o risking damage to it so I tried my best to wipe all that dust off.

But I checked the operation of everything else and all the flaps open/close when the designated buttons are pressed and all speeds work.

My Fan blows a LOT stronger now, so I think it was just the age of the motor and worn brushes like you said...there was also some dirt and leaves inside the motor itself causing it to run like shit lol.

But I'm happy now, tomorrow will be 110* so I'll at least be riding in comfort haha.
              Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-18-2010, 05:58 AM.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

That's good to hear. I took a vacuum to the evaporator to suck as much crap out as possible and then lightly sprayed it clean.

Comment

my blower started to get slow this summer, then on a road trip it died completely. i just changed the whole blower assembly.. $50, an hour of my time, and a lot of cursing.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Working...
                  X