Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemplating my next car (to replace the Fit.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As promised-

My dude Chris's Manyatata lulz

And I know this might not be your taste, but I think its sharp as hell.

this was her right before she was rear ended -

and this is his new one(probably my fav of the two)

So you already know what this car can do.

This dude around the corner from me has a red one sitting in his yard. Wonder if he'd sell it???

Comment

I think you should get an S2000.

Last edited by lummieCB7; 03-03-2015, 05:18 AM.
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

Right now, I think the only thing keeping the S2000 down is the price. It will be a good $15,000 for a really good one... and it'll still be a decade old (meaning repairs and restoration will still be in order, regardless of condition.) Lummie, your S2k at stock height on stock wheels is pretty much exactly what I would want! (though I don't care for the red interior bits... I wonder if they can be had in all black...)

The NA Miata is currently at the top of my list largely for the price. I can get a REALLY nice one for $5000 or so. I'm only going to be able to get MAYBE $3000 for the Fit, I figure... and I'm looking to take a job that will result in a serious pay cut. No money to buy a $15,000 car outright, and financing a decade-old car isn't a very good idea!
        There's some magic about the NA Miata to me as well. Especially the less common M editions (each year only saw about 3000 made... not TOO limited, but enough to be desirable.) There's just something pure and simple about that little car!
        Whatever I do get will remain 100% stock, aside from the stereo, and MAYBE the shocks (I'll likely toss a set of Bilsteins on there.)

Comment

May I ask why you bought the Cadillac? Is that your only four-door once the Fit is gone, so it serves the 'I have friends/family' purpose?

And Ralphie, those MX-5s are nuts. I'll never understand how people can leave a car completely stock, and not want to stand out even a bit from the dull gray landscape that is modern traffic. Honestly, Deev, I think that since you do plan on keeping your final choice stock, a Miata would likely leave you wanting for a little more power after a while. That said, it sounds like your Caddy has been sitting around for a while and you don't actually have need for it, so sell the Fit, sell the Caddy, and afford the S2000.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I bought the CTS-V a few years ago because I wanted something RWD that was luxurious and powerful, with a manual transmission. It was the best bang for the buck. Anything German would've been too expensive to maintain and repair. The Japanese didn't have anything that interested me. I still like it. I only haven't driven it because it suffered damage to the brake system due to a ruptured line, and I haven't had money to fix it. Winter is the slowest time for me, so I have less money to work with. I just bought a new bed and a new stove, and I just had to replace the clutch on the Fit ($1000...) so the CTS-V repair has to wait.

The Miata would make more power than the Fit, and handle better... and the fun I find myself having in the Fit has surprised me. I'm actually LOOKING for a car that doesn't make much power. And honestly, after being immersed in the custom car scene for over a third of my life, the idea of keeping a pristine bone-stock car appeals to me. You frequently see old imports and sports cars that have been modified. You don't see very many that have been restored, and kept showroom-clean... which is my intention for the Miata (which I think may now be the winner, hands down...)

Honestly, I could trade the Caddy for an S2000 straight up if I wanted to. The thing is still worth $13,000 or so. It would be a very bad idea to have a 2 seater convertible as my only car, though! I'm going to miss the versatility of the Fit as it is... but of the 3 cars I own, the Fit is the only one I'm willing and anxious to part with. 380,000 miles in that thing... I'm just over it. Plus, it's requiring more and more repair.

Comment

S2k.. no question.. buy one from a old person, which I'd say probably is about 75% of the owners.

When I worked at the dealer these came in and needed nothing.. If they did it was cause it was owned by a kid and they broke something.
              wat?

Comment

I think I'm pretty much set on the 95-97 Miata M edition (I've decided to include the 96 in my search as well... the Starlight Blue Mica looks pretty sweet when it's in good shape.)

Largely because of the price. I can get a pristine Miata M edition for less than half the cost of a decent S2000. I like the idea of getting something that I don't have to finance!

The S2000's power output is definitely appealing. The MR2's mid-engine design is both appealing and daunting (fixing that wouldn't be fun!)
                The Miata hits all the marks, though. Light weight, low cost (purchase, operation, maintenance, and repair), TONS of support (in terms of parts and information), classic looks, and the special editions that will one day be sought-after collectors items.

Now I just need to find myself another job ASAP! Then the search begins for a clean 95-97 M. So far I've found pristine examples of all 3 years... but all 3 have been automatic

Comment

Automatic Miata, that just seems...wrong.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

They shouldn't exist!

At least the S2000 got that right. Not an automatic among them!

The sad thing is that an automatic Miata actually makes the car even more uncommon...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      And honestly, after being immersed in the custom car scene for over a third of my life, the idea of keeping a pristine bone-stock car appeals to me. You frequently see old imports and sports cars that have been modified. You don't see very many that have been restored, and kept showroom-clean... which is my intention for the Miata (which I think may now be the winner, hands down...)
                      I can understand that. It won't be long before the Miata enters that club of classic Japanese sports cars with the Datsun 510, rear-drive Celicas, pre-R32 Skylines, etc. Even the CRX has begun to show up at shows across the country as simple OEM-restoration pieces. Who knows, the value of the NA might even start appreciating.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The NA's value seems to be holding steady for the time being, which is nice. They're certainly not on the level of Supras, but for a 20 year old $20,000 car to retain 1/3 to 1/2 of its initial selling price, even with over 100k miles on the clock... that's a good sign!

Comment

This could solve the underpowered issue plaguing Miatas. Yes, I know it's not practical. I was actually looking for Duratec V6 swap information for NC Miatas and stumbled upon this.

http://www.superfastmiatas.com/JV6%20Miata%20Kit.html
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

+1 style points

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                              This could solve the underpowered issue plaguing Miatas. Yes, I know it's not practical. I was actually looking for Duratec V6 swap information for NC Miatas and stumbled upon this.

http://www.superfastmiatas.com/JV6%20Miata%20Kit.html
                              That's pretty cool! Though I wonder what it would do to the chassis dynamics. And for the cost of that, the S2000 would likely be a much wiser option (and if torque were the problem, forced induction is a viable solution there! )

I'm actually looking forward to the underpowered-ness of a Miata. I know it's weird to say, but it's something I've come to appreciate in the Fit. I can feel like I'm pushing it hard, and not really be exceeding the speed limit. In a more powerful car, like my CTS-V, I feel like I can't even come close to the car's limits without breaking the law bad enough to lose my license (or life!)

I still haven't decided 100%, since I have yet to drive anything... but the Miata is still in the lead. I've decided to keep doing my current job for a bit longer as I go back to school, so this will likely be pushed further into the future

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                              +1 style points

Wow... I thought that was an old Z at first glance!

Comment

I would prefer the Miata out of those as well although for different reasons. Only thing is I find them uncomfortable after a half hour or so. It's not the somewhat cramped space it's the seat and seating position along with the location of everything. It's just an unnatural car for me in that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X