Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Coolant can't stay warm during winter, highway driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant can't stay warm during winter, highway driving

During winter highway driving my accord struggles to keep it's coolant at it's normal temperature, especially when I try to use the heater. It can stay at it's normal temperature in the summer, or when I'm driving around town, though. Is there an issue with my car? Or is just too damn cold outside? Thanks!

Sounds to me like your thermostat is stuck open causing the coolant to constantly flow through the radiator and be chilled by passing air, luckily it's not a difficult job on these cars.

Comment

^x2

If you can watch the temp gauge needle drop as your speed increases. Then it goes back up during stop and go driving. It's likely that your thermostat has failed.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

As mentioned above, your thermostat could be causing the symptoms you described.

You might also try to block some airflow from the front of the radiator, it could help you maintain desired temperature. Big rig tractors do this in the wintertime, as you may have noticed some run a cover on the outside of the grill opening to restrict airflow to radiator.

I noticed that when I removed the condenser, which sits in front of the radiator, my car took longer to heat up, while driving around in cool temps.

Comment

make sure to get a Honda one. They're the same price as the crap Autozone counterpart and they include the gasket....autozone ones dont, you actually have to pay for that separately.

It ran me 25 bucks a few years ago.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

This is normal during the winter time especially with an aluminum radiator. Do check out the tstat but I have the same problem with my Odyssey. On mornings where it's 0*F and colder, I have the entire radiator blocked off with cardboard. This is so I can actually have heat! Maybe start off with blocking off 1/2 of the radiators surface area with cardboard and go from there. Slip it down and in front of the rad, then closely monitor temps! I usually don't need anything at 30*F and above.

Comment

I wouldn't say it is normal... I don't know anyone driving around here that has to run cardboard over the rad. Drive every winter in -10*C to -20*C on a daily basis without issues. We even get a few weeks that it hits -30*C to -40*C. I have never had to put cardboard on my rad.....

Yes over cooling can and does happen. However, if your thermostat and cooling system is working properly. The T-stat shouldn't open before the engine coolant hits 185*-195*, opening temp depends what t-stat you buy. If you have one that is even lower, that could be an issue.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

It's not normal I just went through this. If it stays at normal temp at idle and goes to cold when driving swap out your thermostat very easy I just did it with a stant thermostat from advance auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                  This is normal during the winter time especially with an aluminum radiator. Do check out the tstat but I have the same problem with my Odyssey. On mornings where it's 0*F and colder, I have the entire radiator blocked off with cardboard. This is so I can actually have heat! Maybe start off with blocking off 1/2 of the radiators surface area with cardboard and go from there. Slip it down and in front of the rad, then closely monitor temps! I usually don't need anything at 30*F and above.
                  Its not normal, when thermo stat is closed no coolant is going to the radiator, it loops though the block and heater core till the thermo opens.
                  wat?

Comment

Thanks! you guys rule.

Comment

Does the car take a good while to get up to operating temp?

If so id say like the rest that its the thermostat stuck open.

Comment

If we R.U.L.E give us a rulers fee! LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X