Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Civic -R Coming to Canada this summer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Civic -R Coming to Canada this summer!

.... seen the news, knew it was coming. Blah, blah, blah... But when i seen this on FB today I had a scary thought. I'm pretty sure every 16 year old kid will want one of these, especially in the tuning world. The numbers will grow to an uncontrollable number. There will be a true civic nation with the sounds of 10,000 fart cans verbarate across the lands........ ug.

What are people seeing?

Comment

I wonder how much $$$

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
      01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
      93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
      93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Why does it have 3 exhaust tips?

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
          extra farts....

Comment

If this car could inspire youths to put down their smart phone and turn a wrench, even for a fart can I would be for it. Long gone are the days of the d16z6 inspiring a kid to turn his well intentioned high school civic into a race car.
            I don't believe this car will do that though as it is gonna be over thirty thousand and basically modified fully already. I'm guessing the U.S. Version will be 350 hp which without forged everything inside means maxed out.
            49% of me wants to buy one, remove all badging and make it look responsible as possible. Just an ode to Honda type thing.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
              Dual outer tips for normal exhaust (it's common enough on 4-cylinders these days), plus the small middle one for the wastegate dump tube to make those turbo noises? Though that's a long way to travel for a turbo dump. Probably just aesthetics with three pipes coming out of the muffler... I like it.

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
              I wonder how much $$$
              My guess is Focus RS money. USD$30-35k, plus whatever mark-ups due to hype.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-08-2017, 01:39 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. Its in competition with the focus, sti, evo x.

I doubt many 16 year old kids will have one. I wonder how many will be made for the US market?

Imo it's not ugly...

Last edited by kseriescivic; 03-08-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I kinda like it. It lacks the subtle charm of the original Type R models (both Civic and Integra), but I don't hate it.
                  As much as I dislike FWD performance cars, I think Honda is doing a hell of a job pushing the limits with this. From what I've read, it handles extremely well. Makes you forget it's FWD, apparently.

I definitely think it's going to sell for $35,000+ (USD... Canada could be significantly higher). That SHOULD keep it out of the hands of most ricer fanbois. However, that could also make Honda decide not to pursue future Type R models in North America, since the demand is likely to be limited. Honestly, if I had the option of paying $35-$40k for a performance variant of an econobox, I would probably be more interested in the Focus RS or an STi. Despite being incredibly capable, the FWD layout sets it back for me. Or I'd be looking at slightly higher-end cars (either CPO or from Carmax with their absurdly good warranty.) Cars like the M3, C63 AMG, and S4 can be found that way in the low $30k range.

I wish Honda luck with the CTR, but I have a feeling the reason they never brought it to North America in the first place is going to end up being painfully evident very quickly. That being said, I'm still excited... and I WILL drool over them when I encounter them in the wild.

Comment

I'm still trying to get used to this latest Civic's styling. I don't think I'll ever like the sedan, but the hatchback isn't bad. I liked how simple Honda's body lines were in the '90s and early '00s. It was beauty through simplicity. Too many designers these days seem to have their noses held right down on their drawings, adding more and more styling details without stepping back and looking at the whole picture. Those gaping fake vents in both bumpers are awful, and the front fender flares look like they were added on afterwards - I don't mind the rear-facing vent, it's those lines of the arch.

I think the attitude of FWD not being a 'real' performance platform is blind, though. It definitely does seem to be a primarily American opinion, too. When you look at the number of "hot hatches" in Europe and Japan, those countries seem to have absolutely no problem accepting their capabilities. From what FWD cars are doing on road courses at both amateur and professional levels, it's clearly just a different skill set.

Also:

Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-08-2017, 03:48 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Oh, I definitely agree that a bias against FWD is unfounded and pointless. Americans like to drag race, and drag race is dominated by RWD. AWD cars can take most things off the line, even at a power deficit (though they usually suffer up high.) On the drag strip and at stoplights, FWD is often dismissed as inferior. In many cases, though, it's a perfectly good layout for a performance car.
                      Alas, I still find myself disappointed by FWD. The Lotus Elan, unlike damn near every other Lotus, is uninteresting to me. The ITR, as much as I respect it, would never find a home in my driveway (unless I found some moron selling a pristine one for a fraction of its worth...) It really is an unfounded bias. Especially since I've thoroughly enjoyed pushing my last two FWD cars (my CB7 and my Fit). In some ways, I liked driving them better than my current RWD cars!

I agree on the new styling. I like the hatchback as well. Though I haven't truly liked a Civic design since the 7th generation (and even that was pretty boring.) I do like that the 10th generation is more of a drastic departure from the 8th generation styling than the 9th generation was. If you showed me a Civic from 2006 to 20015, I don't think I could tell you which generation it was!
                      The fake vents are a bit much, I agree. I'm not a fan of the rear. It's just SO busy. Granted, it would probably look slab-ish if it didn't have all that stuff on it. I'm sure much of the styling of modern cars (which I largely don't care for, across the board...) involves a great deal of compromise when considering aerodynamics and pedestrian safety. The sleek low-nosed cars of the 80s, 90s, and early 00s are history.

Comment

[QUOTE=CyborgGT;3267491]I'm still trying to get used to this latest Civic's styling. I don't think I'll ever like the sedan, but the hatchback isn't bad. I liked how simple Honda's body lines were in the '90s and early '00s. It was beauty through simplicity. Too many designers these days seem to have their noses held right down on their drawings, adding more and more styling details without stepping back and looking at the whole picture. Those gaping fake vents in both bumpers are awful, and the front fender flares look like they were added on afterwards - I don't mind the rear-facing vent, it's those lines of the arch.

I think the attitude of FWD not being a 'real' performance platform is blind, though. It definitely does seem to be a primarily American opinion, too. When you look at the number of "hot hatches" in Europe and Japan, those countries seem to have absolutely no problem accepting their capabilities. From what FWD cars are doing on road courses at both amateur and professional levels, it's clearly just a different skill set.

[\QUOTE]

Yep, couldn't agree with you more! LoL, you're right, those shrouds things in the back are huge and ugly. I find cars look like one guy designed the front and some other guy designed the back. And no-one talked to each other. Like you said, no big picture. Now it does look good, I'm sure you could change things out on it like a toy which is nice. No sleek lines of a Fararri good. They failed to "keep it simple", like all higher end Audi cars can do, and seems they just kept adding and adding until it was overload. (Is that a double rear spoiler I'm seeing?? )

And curves........ ug. Most will agree on this site that the 2009+ styling of Honda / Acura and the curves they started using was simply overboard. They can state it was for aerodynamic but users don't care about that. Example: People love old and new WRX's for that boxy look. Same reason I like the cb7s and the 2004 TSX I have. But the 09, 10, 11, 12, ....... Honda.. nope.

Still car does look good, they are obviously targetting a specific audience.

Comment

I was actually thinking about Audi when I typed that. The current models have got very simplistic designs, and still look perfectly modern. Merc and BMW are starting to get a bit weird for my taste, though.
                          Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Audi and vw have some of the most attractive cars on the road, IMO. And I hate vw!

Comment

Hey now Deev.. Hey now.. Sticker price for an a4 is 35k. Go get one. Besides... VW owns everything. Porsche, Ducati, Lamborghini, etc.

My car sucks though.
                              Last edited by F22Chris; 03-08-2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X