CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Old 12-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #41
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
CD Accord PFM motors will fit into CB Accord mirror housings, as well. The '95-'98 TL is the better option as you don't actually have to take any guts out of the mirror, but if all you can find is '94-'97 PFMs, then you can swap the motors into the CB housings.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #42
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
The best way to install these map lights is to remove your headliner. I know it mean removing a crap ton of parts below it to get it down but itís worth it. Plus making a good template and centering it will help. Go slow with your Dremel tool and it will come out nice. Most of these map lights will have a metal bracket that holds it up in the headliner. Donít forget to pull it out and take it with you if you get one at pap. Or make sure it has one if you buy it from Ebay.
Ya, i've never seen one like that. All honda ones I've seen the light screws into the roof and actually helps hold up the headliner. But in a cb7 there is no "thing" on the roof to screw into.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:00 AM   #43
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
Thanks Jarrett for that info on the CD mirror guts. Iíll definitely use that for consideration on the pfmís. Hereís a question I hadnít thought of. I put sedan TL mirror on a CB sedan perch. Since coupe and sedan perches are different, are the housings swappable? Iíve got a sedan side mirror. I might have to see if at least all of the mirror housings are the same.
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #44
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
It will work the same. This is one of my chief frustrations with people buying power-folding mirrors for these cars. It doesn't matter whether or not you buy sedan or coupe mirrors. You have to swap the bases to a LHD set anyway, so you might as well use your OEM mirrors as donors. So yes, coupe and sedan mirrors will swap between the opposite bases. There are a few modifications to do with a file and a drill bit, but those are related to the differences between power-folding and manual-folding.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #45
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
It will work the same. This is one of my chief frustrations with people buying power-folding mirrors for these cars. It doesn't matter whether or not you buy sedan or coupe mirrors. You have to swap the bases to a LHD set anyway, so you might as well use your OEM mirrors as donors. So yes, coupe and sedan mirrors will swap between the opposite bases. There are a few modifications to do with a file and a drill bit, but those are related to the differences between power-folding and manual-folding.
And I learned when you convert to power folding mirrors the wiring harness feeding your stock mirrors will be missing wires for the added functionality. You end up ripping the car apart to run these additional required wires. And then I also had to swap the mirror housings.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #46
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

I went through all of that when did the pfmís on an is300 Lexus. I did grab extra mirror harnesses from each side for the extra pins. Pfmís with heat might just fill the whole damn plug up. Arenít they like 8 pins total. Donít you only have to run one wire into and across the car to the other mirror for signal? How many wires do CB pfmís actually add? Besides the standard mirror adjustment functions.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #47
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
I went through all of that when did the pfmís on an is300 Lexus. I did grab extra mirror harnesses from each side for the extra pins. Pfmís with heat might just fill the whole damn plug up. Arenít they like 8 pins total. Donít you only have to run one wire into and across the car to the other mirror for signal? How many wires do CB pfmís actually add? Besides the standard mirror adjustment functions.
They are 6 pin connectors with 3 extra wires needed.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #48
excalibur02
Wanna be JDM whore

Location: north new jersey Owns: Turbo cb6 & NA cb7 I'm: NJs 5-lug King ;-0
excalibur02 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to excalibur02
Loving the little mods in the interior. Reminds me of my red cb. Keep up the mods!

Instagram username MAURO02

If my pictures do not work and you see ****.com replace it with m1xe.com
excalibur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #49
Jarrett
Contributing Member

This is how I wired my mirrors to have the PFM function and the heated lenses. The Blue/Red and Black/White were what I chose to be the positive and negative for the lenses. The diagram represents the view of each connector if you were looking at it from the the back side where you would insert the individual pins.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #50
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Damn Jarrett, nice! Just in time as I scored a pair of CD Accord pfmís today. I plan to use an Alps Korea switch also. Would that be the EP3 plug below that I see? I figure I can yank the motors & other parts from the CD housings and slap it all in my CB housings. Then I donít have to paint them either. Well maybe mine look like shit but at least they arenít all scraped up or cracked.
Now also; if the heated mirrors have one ground and Iím pretty sure the pfmís have one too? Canít these two or one at least be grounded to each door so Iím not running them into the car?
I figure Iíve got two wires on each door that I already have going into the car that are free for me to use. Those are my factory front speaker wires.
I can connect one (right front) for the signal lead that will obviously run straight to where it ends behind the stereo and connect that with the (left front) wire going to the passenger side. Then up to the passenger side pfm. The other (right front) and (left front) wires can connect to the positive for the heated mirrors and run to the defroster power. The rest of the wires should all go to the Alps switch right?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #51
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

You know what would be killer also. I need to figure out a way to wire the mirror open signal to my ignition so when I start my car they open up. Then another signal running to my alarm setup to where they fold in when the car gets the signal to lock and arm.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #52
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Quote:
You know what would be killer also. I need to figure out a way to wire the mirror open signal to my ignition so when I start my car they open up. Then another signal running to my alarm setup to where they fold in when the car gets the signal to lock and arm.
That would be pretty cool. Even my new King Ranch doesn't have that feature, though I think it's something you can add in the factory software.

Here are a few pictures of what I did to get mine to work. I'll caption them as best I can, but it's been a few years since I did this.

One of the first things to consider is the issue of lens mounting. Depending on the method your CD power-folding mirror motors use to mount the mirror, you may have to swap to a lens-frame that fits. Here are the two different back frames between power-folding CB mirrors and non power-folding 3.2TL mirrors. The difference doesn't seem to accommodate anything that the PFM motor needs, so it could be the case that it's just a revised design that is not specific to the PFM mirrors. I suppose the only way to know is to open up more mirrors. Anyhow, to be compatible with my folding motors I had to swap the frames.

Here's an individual picture of the TL frames.

And here are the 3.2TL heated lenses installed in the CB frames.

I just heated them up in an oven...

...then pried them apart...

...to reveal the bare lenses.

At which point I did the same thing for the CB lenses so that I could install the TL lenses into the CB frames. I have a bunch more of the whole power-folding mirror process, but I don't want to clutter your thread.

Last edited by Jarrett; 01-06-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #53
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Well I got my jumper harness completed for the bb6 cluster and while most of it works my tach and fuel gauge donít work idk maybe more stuff doesnít work I didnít try to drive the car with shit hangin all over. On the tach I am 100% sure itís hooked up right and I even bypassed the jumper wire straight to my harness and it still does not work. I plug my stock cluster in and it works so I know its not my harness. Iím going to open up the bb6 cluster and take a look at the tach. I havenít struck out in a while with my electrical diys so this bums me out. Plus all of the work taking the dash apart and then putting it back together lol.
The pfmís should be allot easier. Thanks Jarrett for the extra info. Iíll know what Iím in for here soon when the CD mirrors arrive.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #54
Jarrett
Contributing Member

I'm tempted to buy some UA1/UA2 Inspire/Saber mirrors to see what they look like inside. The connectors are different from the CB/CD as they've moved to a 2-connector format on either side. They also only have a total of 5 wires each side. This means that they are either lacking the heat function or the power-folding function. The JDM CC2 Vigor mirror looks nearly identical, and I can clearly see a power-folding mirror button on their dash, so maybe they just did away with the heat function over there that the '96-'98 3.2TL had standard (only Premium cars had them in the 2.5TL).

I know you've already moved on to CD mirrors, but it got me thinking about the viability of the Inspire/Saber (our TL) mirrors to use to just swap over to US bases with no mods at all. Apparently you just can't get all of the features that way.

Have you already purchased your mirror switch?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #55
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

I was thinking about that also with the Jdm TL pfmís. Iíll bet they donít come with heat or itís more rare there. Itís like theyíre just another Honda over there and here they are an Acura. The upscale of the Hondaís with more luxurious goodies.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #56
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

I havenít bought the switch yet. Iím making sure this switch on eBay is the one I need. The relays are expensive combined with buying a switch is another $100 or more. So I figured an Alps Korea one would be the better way to go.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #57
Jarrett
Contributing Member

I just quickly glanced through the ones on eBay. There are a few ALPS switches posted, but none are illuminated, from what I saw. The non-illuminated switches work the exact same, but the lettering is screened on and comes off over time. The illuminated switches are molded in clear plastic, so the letters hold up very well. It looks like you may have to go to Yahoo Japan auctions for one of those. They had some for just a couple dollars yesterday. But you have to go through a broker.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #58
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

I might just have to settle for a standard Alps Korea switch. The mirrors will be here by like next week so I would like to get one other electrical diy knocked off of my list by then. Either the map/homelink or the damn cluster. Iíve got the m/h light wired up & ready to install also.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #59
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Well I took apart my headliner once again to get the TSX map/homelink installed. I was going to do a diy on this but what I had to do to get it in I do not recommend for most. If you donít have a sunroof itís doable I guess. But I had to slightly notch the sunroof frame for it to fit. Once I knew I had cut into the drain of the sunroof I needed to seal it on each side. I siliconed the shit out of it and put all around some leak proof tape I found in the garage. My other excuses I made to myself were; that I live in SoCal. and that I donít drive this car on rainy days anyways. I got a 4wd truck for inclement weather. Plus if itís parked outside itís covered. So fuck it. The thing looks totally sick also.
Here are some pics:
This is the back of the headliner with the hole cut and some of the wiring. If you have a sunroof you can see that there is a metal clip holder centered under the hole that I thought about cutting down further into it at first. It would make more room at the front for the map light. BUT, that would cause me to have to really put a worse gash in the sunroof frame for it to fit. The red wires are cut from an Acura CL to have the power for driver and passenger illuminated vanity mirror lights plus a splice for the ambient light.

Here it is when I was test fitting it in. Needs a Little more adjusting.

Here it is all installed. I need to get some led bulbs for the map lights. Everything works as it should plus the blue ambient light is really nice. It comes on as soon as the parking lights are turned on and is adjustable with the dimmer switch.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #60
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
You did a great job.. I'll admit it. I'm officially intimidated.

It appears that the headliner is more cumbersome than complicated. Apparently there is enough flexibility to remove it without creasing which is good.

Years ago I would have taken the plunge but today it just seems like too much work. My fear is something would either tear or break and I'd be kicking myself for trying.

Thanks for sharing this... You did a great job!
04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Last edited by hiptech; 01-15-2018 at 05:35 AM.
hiptech is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: