Borked muh phone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borked muh phone...

I never realized how much I used the thing until now! It fell out of my pocket at work, and shattered after a 4 foot drop. My boss is looking into reimbursement, which would be cool. Not sure if it'll end up covering the cost of repairing it (just the screen is busted), or if they'll replace it. It would be rad if they covered a brand new replacement! I've got an iPhone 5S, so I'm long overdue for an upgrade.

If I can't get reimbursed, I'm torn between trying to repair the 5S or just upgrading to a 7. An upgrade would be awesome, since the 16gb 5S I have now is frustrating (I'm ALWAYS running out of room on it...)
    I'm also contemplating doing the repair myself. I've seen screen repair kits for $25 or so, which wouldn't be bad. My old iPhones (the original silver back and a 4) still work. I'd like to keep a working 5S in my collection as well!

Has anyone ever changed a screen on an iPhone 5S? If I decide to do it myself, I could probably use some pointers.

Or you can get it done for 40 bucks from any phone repair shop and not take the chance of frying your phone.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Is that all it would be? I did some searching and all I could find was $70! I'll have to actually ask around to see what they say. Though most of the repair places around here seem to be staffed by 17 year old kids.

I may just be getting a new phone after all. It helps that today is my birthday, so my wife is on board with a little extravagant spending! (I'll still fix the 5S, though... or get it fixed.)

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN!!

I use to be one of those kids fixing phone screens. Use to be easy when there was minimal glue holding down the glass. Now there is excessive glue (especially with samsung) and it is a lot harder. I wouldn't attempt it yourself as you can cut/rip ribbon cables and then your phone is dead. If you are going to get it done (like car repairs) go somewhere they will warranty their work. But sounds like it's time to simply get a new one.

OH, for your new phone. Get the Moshi IVisor Glass screen protector. Amazing stuff!!! It's a screen protector but it's made of glass (0.3mm thin). So when the phone is dropped it will crack before the phone glass. I dropped my phone a lot overtime and it was cracked on every part of the screen, started to not be abe to read the corner. Went and got it replaced and the glass underneath is brand new! Amazing amazing product!

Comment

Thanks man!
          I just got home from the AT&T store... got a brand new iPhone 7. 128gb... so much better than my old 16gb 5S! I'll just have to get used to the larger size. I'll definitely look into getting those screen protectors!
          My wife got a new iPhone 7 as well. They were running a buy one get one free deal. We switched her over from Verizon, and added a discount that I get from my work, and I'm paying EXACTLY the same I was previously for my one line and my ancient phone... and i'm getting two brand new phones and a second line. I never walked out of that place feeling like I actually came out ahead before! I know I got the best possible deal, because a good friend of mine works there (and he was the one to take care of us.)

Now I'm debating trying to fix the 5S myself, since it's not really terribly important, or just holding off until I get around to having it done professionally. Or just leaving it as-is. I mean, it's still a good camera, gaming device, and music/video player, even without phone capabilities. Well, it is when it doesn't have a shattered screen, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Thanks man!
            I just got home from the AT&T store... got a brand new iPhone 7. 128gb... so much better than my old 16gb 5S! I'll just have to get used to the larger size. I'll definitely look into getting those screen protectors!
            My wife got a new iPhone 7 as well. They were running a buy one get one free deal. We switched her over from Verizon, and added a discount that I get from my work, and I'm paying EXACTLY the same I was previously for my one line and my ancient phone... and i'm getting two brand new phones and a second line. I never walked out of that place feeling like I actually came out ahead before! I know I got the best possible deal, because a good friend of mine works there (and he was the one to take care of us.)

Now I'm debating trying to fix the 5S myself, since it's not really terribly important, or just holding off until I get around to having it done professionally. Or just leaving it as-is. I mean, it's still a good camera, gaming device, and music/video player, even without phone capabilities. Well, it is when it doesn't have a shattered screen, anyway.

lol, same thing I said about my Galaxy Note 2. Still a good camera, game device, etc. I'll just use FB on it. 12 months later it sits on the kitchen island and never gets used :P

Comment

Damn that sucks that your phone borked but at least you got a new one!

And happy belated birthday! You and my daughter share a birthday which is cool!

Not sure what you did(besides a nice dinner I saw on the webz). We took Alexa to the aquarium and then out to dinner.

I got my Iphone SE about 6 months ago. It's ok. It works and hasn't slowed down or gave me headaches yet, which is what I was aiming for.

I love Android and still miss it but Ive gotten used to iOS. I really miss Androids keyboard and their version of Swype. Also being able to not have all the apps on the desktop.

At this point though, since my phone sits in the car all day, Idgaf.

Comment

The beauty of Android phones is that prices range fron $25 to $800 so it sort of gives you options, while Apple you are stuck with pretty much $500 plus. I paid $35 for my phone, if the sucker breaks i get another; no sweat
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

The 5s is not that difficult to fix. But I will agree with Raf that newer phones use a lot more glue than their predecessors to make them thinner. And those can be sketchy if you dont know what you're doing. If I bother to fix a phone then its usually so I can donate it to some charity.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+...lacement/22096

Comment

I just read your purchase post. I was about to come in here and say something like "You're gonna fix the 5s and get a new one knowing how you do things."

I don't really like the home button on the 7. I really feel like I WILL break that phone.. I want one just for the cases apple makes out of leather. They look awesome and get that patina that looks even more awesome when worn. It's like giving your phone a beard and a flannel shirt.

Comment

You know me well!
                      I need to check out those cases! My wife got me a sweet Final Fantasy case for the 5S last Christmas. I think she ordered another for the 7 on Saturday. Still, nothing wrong with multiple cases!

Comment

Working...
                      X