Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

f22a6 dsm turbo upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22a6 dsm turbo upgrade

so im new to the site but not to new to upgrades. i am planing on upgrading my 1992 cb7 and adding a dsm 2g manifold and turbo out of a eclipse/talon. i am aiming for around 200-250hp with stock internals. installing new clutch, complete timing belt kit, tuneup...

so questions are what would be the best turbo to use and best psi to run.
    what injectors would be the best.
    best way to route oil lines and coolant if needed
    best tune, chrome? what ecm and chip?
    would i need to get new head studs, main studs, rod studs, or manifold studs.
    would it be a good idea to upgrade head gasket.
    would i need to upgrade cam gear.
    good spark plug recommendation ( i know i need to go 2 steps down)
    what would be a good inter cooler size?

any information would be greatly appreciated. if i happened to miss anything please let me know.

like i said im new to the site and gas engines lots of experience with diesels. thanks very much
    Last edited by non-vtecInside; 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM.

If the DSM route is the way you want to go, use the Evo3 "Big" 16G. It is the only stock Mitsubishi turbo that is large enough for our 2.2L engines. Many go with the smaller 14b, and that produces far too much heat for make a reliable engine. As for the psi... the rule of thumb is 6-8 is safe, 10-12 is doable with a good tune... above that is very risky.

1st gen DSM 450cc injectors do the trick if they're in good condition.

There are companies that make oil lines. I don't believe any Mitsubishi turbos have a coolant feed. They are all oil cooled.

For tuning... you don't seem to know how to tune a Honda engine using ANY of the programs on the market, so my advice would be to either a) find an experienced tuner and get whatever he is comfortable using... this would be the best option, especially on a dyno. or b) find a program that looks good... crome, ectune, uberdata, etc... and learn it, inside and out.
    The best ECU to use is a P06 from a 92-95 Civic DX/LX. They are easy to find, and easy to modify. You cannot tune the stock Accord ECU.

Any bolt/stud upgrades are not absolutely necessary, but it can never hurt. Just be sure you install anything properly, as installation error can make a good new part less reliable than a worn out old part!

The same goes for the head gasket. I wouldn't try for an "upgrade", but a new OEM (directly from Honda) gasket would be smart.

You do not need to upgrade the cam gear.

Good spark plugs... find your proper heat range first. Then I'd suggest NGK or Denso plugs, assuming they make what you need.

As for the intercooler size, big and free-flowing are what you're looking for. Your best bet is to poke around the Members Rides section and see what everyone else is running.

Please remove any mention of wanting to buy items. Normally, you'd be banned for that. I'm in a good mood today.
    Please read the rules for this site before you continue posting.
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      .. I don't believe any Mitsubishi turbos have a coolant feed. They are all oil cooled....
      most of the stock MHI turbo that i have came across where oil and coolant cooled. the 12a (starion turbo) 13c or whatever letter, big 16g and the 20g hahn that i have were all water cooled as well
      ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was wrong there!

I should add... I've never built a turbo engine in my life.

Comment

would it be a good idea to upgrade fuel pump and if so what would be recommended?

Comment

Most people do upgrade the fuel pump, yes. It would be smart, as the stock pump is old, and a lean condition will kill your engine very quickly. Walbro 255lph is the weapon of choice in most cases.

Be aware that you need to drop the tank to change the fuel pump, and being in Maine, the straps and bolts holding that tank in place may be rusted to shit. Plan on replacing all of it... you MIGHT even want to replace the tank itself!
            Some people actually cut a hole in the trunk floor, right above the pump, so they can remove the pump without dropping the tank. I'm not a fan of cutting metal (and making sparks) right above my fuel tank, though!

Comment

200-250 should be pie to achieve.16g like said is a good turbo and quick spool aswell.And psi really depends on the turbo you going to use a t25 @ 10psi isnt going to be the same as a 60-1 turbo@ 10psi size does matter in this case.A smaller turbo doesnt flow as much air.And 300-350 can be easy with the right duty cycle sized injectors(aways go bigger if you plan to upgrade later down the road),fuel pump,turbo,IC piping,FMIC,arp head studs and a good 3 layer metal head gasket and ofcourse the proper tune.The tune is the main thing to keep it safe and to achieve the most power and reliability.And remember turbo=More maintenance.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

thank you for all the help. where is a good place to buy arp head studs. i have had a hard time finding them for honda. if i use a dsm 2g manifold what would be the best turbo i like the 16g but not real sure about water and oil cooled. i wanna keep it simple. any other suggestions on a good turbo in the 250$ range.

Comment

If you use the DSM manifold, you are limited to a turbo that can be mounted to it... unless you get an adapter made. With that added expense, you could just as well get a proper manifold that has the ports spaced perfectly (the DSM manifold isn't spaced perfectly, but close enough to be functional.)

$250 isn't going to get you much that would qualify as "good".

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    If you use the DSM manifold, you are limited to a turbo that can be mounted to it... unless you get an adapter made. With that added expense, you could just as well get a proper manifold that has the ports spaced perfectly (the DSM manifold isn't spaced perfectly, but close enough to be functional.)

$250 isn't going to get you much that would qualify as "good".
                    Like he said $250 for a good turbo will not be easy to find ebays a hit or miss when buying turbos so is buying used weither name brand or not.If you dont like the dsm set up save your money for a aftermarket t3/t4 flanged mani so you will have more choices in turbos imo for 250whp you dont need anything bigger than a 50trim.Your dsm set up idea is perfect for your power goals with the 16g.If you wanna go bigger later down the road a flanged can be done for pretty cheap.Id also recommend that you use an external WG.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

why do you recommend a external wg?

Comment

you can but if your lucky you can find a stock dsm dump tube that has a wate gate dump

Comment

but why use external over stock internal wg?

Comment

just use the stock internal WG. it will be fine

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

internal wastegate with atmospheric dump.. so atleast you get the cool growl... lolz.

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X