fleetw00d : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fleetw00d : 1992 Accord EX

I'm an addict, picked up #5 of the current fleet (#9 overall) last week.

ENGINE
    - Stock F22A6, 144,400 miles
    - Original exhaust system still in pretty good shape
    - Stock automatic transmission

EXTERIOR
    - Stock, NO rust (missing lower front splash shield)

INTERIOR
    - Stock gray cloth (the yellow on the rear seat in the photo is from the sun shining through the tint at the top of the windshield, yellow instead of blue on all my other Accords)
    - Dashmat

SUSPENSION/WHEELS
    - Stock suspension
    - Stock 6 spoke wheels, NO curb rash!

AUDIO/ELECTRONICS
    - Pioneer AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio, finally figured out how to turn it on/off.

FUTURE PLANS
    - No mods planned, fix a few minor problems, drive it while I swap engines in Ruby.

So far:

New Honda thermostat, according to my infrared thermometer, the temperature is staying normal, but the temperature gauge climbs slowly after driving, then sitting a few minutes at idle. Looks like previous owner installed a new temperature sensor.

Radiator fan was blowing fuses, didn't turn very easily - installed new fan from my stock of parts.

A/C, heat temperature selector didn't work, found cable detached from lever on the bottom of the vent door assembly.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2017, 09:26 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Awesome work mrK! Get some oem stuff for it down the road. Like visors or rear fog =)

I have 2 spare if anything.

Keep up the great work!
    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

- Stock 6 spoke wheels, NO curb rash! Bastard!!! Just kidding sweet find , that thing looks like it was owned by someone who took care of it
      " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Replaced left front axle this afternoon (outer boot was split) with a spare I already had. Broke two Craftsman 1/2 drive breaker bars trying to get the nut off (235 lb standing on a 2 ft cheater bar); I drove to a local tire store and they were able to use an impact to loosen it.

It may not be obvious in the pictures, but the paint is fairly dull, particularly even next to Ruby's now two year old paint job. Started to clay bar the hood (first time I've used it) - wow, it makes quite a difference! If it's nice tomorrow, I'll get a few more pictures.

Finally figured out how to turn the radio on and off; now just need to figure out how to dim the display.

10/23/2014: Clay barred, polished, waxed trunk and upper left quarter panel. Installed a set of Sylvania Silver Star headlight bulbs in the low beams. The old bulb on the right was burned black, but not burned out. Painted the wiper arms black again.

10/24/2014: Clay barred, polished, waxed top half of driver door, roof and pillars.

10/25/2014: Clay barred upper half of right side, repolished hood. Polished wiper scratches out of the windshield; I'll have to drive it in bright sunlight to see how well I did. Cleaned out and waxed the fuel filler pocket. Boring stuff, I know; just trying to get it cleaned up as best as possible. Picked up a lower splash shield today, need to clean it and smooth out some rough spots.

10/30/2014: Cleaned the splash shield the other day. Smoothed some scrapes on the bottom, installed it today.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-30-2014, 10:36 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

A bright, sunny day made it obvious that something went wrong when I polished the windshield; there were all sorts of circular scratches in it - there must have been a piece of grit on the buffer. I repolished it today after I made sure the surface of the buffer wheel was clean. If you're interested in how to polish your windshield (also works on plastic light lenses):

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=171528

Comment

It hit 60 today in the Cincinnati area. Replaced the oil cooler seal yesterday and created an o-ring seal arrangement for the oil drain plug. The previous owner must have stripped the original plug and installed one with a different thread and wide flange - it seems to be at a slight angle to the pan surface so a normal aluminum washer didn't seal. I used a transmission drain plug washer (larger than the oil plug washer) and installed an o-ring around the bolt, but inside the washer. The o-ring was thicker than the washer, so it compressed without being completely crushed.

Changed out the right front shock today with the new tooling for the press. It only allows room for less than 1/6 turn of the wrench, so I either need a ratcheting box end or to make the window a bit larger.

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Family CB7 meet over Christmas (one still in FL):

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

awesome purchase! I have 4 cbs in my possession and I love how I can choose from the wagon to sedan to coupe.

Your new coupe looks great! How much was it?

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                  awesome purchase! I have 4 cbs in my possession and I love how I can choose from the wagon to sedan to coupe.

Your new coupe looks great! How much was it?
                  I don't see the wagon much, it spends most of it's life in Galveston where one of my daughters is in graduate school. She comes home a couple times a year long enough for me to catch up on maintenance. Jarrett helped her out one time down there. Over Christmas replaced the steering rack (broke 2 studs in the exhaust manifold, then one in the head taking the manifold off), alignment; transmission drain and flush, checked compression (190 all the way across); new NGK O2 sensor; checked timing; clay barred, polished, waxed the roof; painted scuffed area on rear bumper, painted exhaust heat shield.

I gave $2200 for the coupe; more than I wanted to pay, but it is really rare to find one this clean in Ohio and I didn't want it to go to someone just looking for a cheap car who wouldn't appreciate it.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-11-2015, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    Family CB7 meet over Christmas (one still in FL):

this looks so amazing!

Comment

Nice ride man! I wish mine looked as sweet.

What's the deal with that huge galv. tee and bushing on top??
                      Originally posted by cb7dazz
                      And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      ...for example

Comment

Originally posted by muhammedmian View Post
                        What's the deal with that huge galv. tee and bushing on top??
                        I used that tee attached to a section of pipe that fits over the ram of the hydraulic jack to guide the top hat when compressing and decompressing the spring to install it on the shock; it fits very nicely between the studs and the raised portion where the shock bushing seats. The opening in the tee allows access to remove or install the nut. I used to use pieces of 2x4 kinda balanced on top - very unstable and dangerous. With this tool and the pipe flange on the bottom (fits around the bottom of the shock and stops on the same collar that the fork does), the shock and spring stay straight with virtually no chance of it slipping out of place.
                        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-11-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Well, I am one of the dufuses that I complain about on the road - AAAARRRRHHH!. How does one not see a large piece of construction equipment with a huge snow blade/bucket? Clipped the blade. Not much of an excuse, but it is amazing what the rear view mirror can hide from a tall driver if I don't duck down and look under it. After the fact, I raised it up slightly by shaving the front part of the mount and adding a thick washer to the rear of the mount. I need to invent a rear view mirror that you can still see through to the front.

Didn't break the bumper beam, didn't break the glass headlight but broke the bracket, didn't break the corner light bulbs. Picked up a straight fender and intact headlight assembly at the yard yesterday (all of 20 degrees F when I got there). Ordered a new bumper cover. Body shop that painted Ruby will have a paint slot open in a week or so (I'll do all disassembly and assembly).
                          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-27-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

At least you and any construction workers in the area are okay. Admittedly, those of us in the heavy civil construction industry don't always do a great job of considering civilian drivers and pedestrian traffic when staging and closing up work areas. I know you to not be a man of dishonesty, but if you do feel the fault was on the contractor for poor site management in regard to equipment placement, make phone calls. If not, at least it's all fixable.
                            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

wow, ass. sheared off pretty cleanly though, repairs seem pretty straightforward so soon this will be in the past. anyway, sorry to hear/see, good luck getting it fixed.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X