Scolirk : 2001 BMW 740iL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scolirk : 2001 BMW 740iL

Well I finally bought a new car. The Accord was starting to show it's age, with the VSS failing months ago, CEL/S lights on all the time, rust eating away the bumper mounts, and the continued pressure from my wife to get a car with A/C for our young daughter.

Last Friday I spent the day at a used car dealership and walked out with a new for me 2001 BMW 740iL which looked a lot worse than it really is.

On Friday it had around 208k km, a non-functional radio, hole in the driver's seat, non-functional parking sensors, faded rear badge, disgusting interior, broken trim (cigarette lighter, lights, OBD port cover, cup holders broken, glove box broken), wheels that looked like a write-off, and a layer of grime on the paint.

As of today, only the driver's seat hole and parking sensors are on my list to fix. I have a replacement seat, just trying to figure out how to DIY into the car.

Plans are to keep it OEM, just like the Accord. List of options selected from the factory:

Cosmos Black Metallic Paint
    Sand Beige Leather
    Steptronic
    Electronic Damper Control
    Self-levelling suspension
    Park Distance Control
    Xenon Light
    Navigation system Professional
    HiFi System Professional DSP
    M Parallel Spoke Rims

Among other things.

I see a lot of these with transmission issues. Not saying it will happen to you but the majority I find for sale have problems. I personally like them, just couldn't buy one. Hope it treats you well.

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
      I see a lot of these with transmission issues. Not saying it will happen to you but the majority I find for sale have problems. I personally like them, just couldn't buy one. Hope it treats you well.
      That is one of 2 things. BMW "lifetime" fill and the owners do not change the ATF ever, despite the name it needs to be changed at regular intervals. Or the 5 speed autos had some valve body issues.

Love the car though. E38s are beautiful vehicles.
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Yup, our 740iL's trans went out around 170k miles. But, absolutely loved the car and wouldn't mind having another.

1999 BMW M3
        2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
        2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
        2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

So far she's been a dream, I've easily put on 2,000km so far and spent $6,000,000 in gas. In the next week or so I'm going to get the engine and transmission oil changed, and hopefully get the parking sensors looked at.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the 90 Accord though, I can't drive it legally at the moment. Wasn't able to get a clean air test for it due to the busted speed sensor, so I wasn't able to renew the plate stickers this weekend. I'd like to keep it on the road for the winter, considering it's pretty good at tackling snow. We'll see what I can make happen.

Comment

Working...
          X