How do i install an Air/Fuel ratio gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i install an Air/Fuel ratio gauge

I want to install an Air/Fuel ratio gauge but i know nothing about how this works except assuming it probably reads the o2 sensor and the air charge sensor(guessing). Does anyone know a good DIY to read or watch.

Umm tons of youtube videos, but best to read the instructions. Here's the AEM one
    http://aemelectronics.com/files/inst...GO%20Gauge.pdf

Comment

Just an FYI, if all you have is a narrow band AFR gauge and stock O2 sensor they are not much good for anything.

Only way to get a true AFR reading is with a wideband O2 sensor and gauge set.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

What's the best and easiest place on exhaust pipe to install the wideband sensor? Right after the exhaust manifold maybe?

Comment

After all your pipes have merged, but before the catalytic converter.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Are you going to be running Hondata?
            Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
              Are you going to be running Hondata?
              No. I just want to know when things are getting out of whack with my air fuel mixture. Good observation tool it seems. All cars should have them. Never liked the fact alot of cars have minimum gauges in them. I think i am going to order an AEM wideband. Am thinking of countersinking it below the steering wheel on the knee plate. And put a volt meter gauge beside it or on other side.

Comment

But your ECU monitors A/F and adjusts properly. Codes are thrown when things are off and would be reported by your O2. I'm not certain there is any advantage of using a wideband A/F gauge on an OEM setup.

Comment

I agree that on an OEM ECU setup there really isn't much to watch as far as AFRs go. It can give you a heads up if you are also able to monitor your ECU's short term and long term fuel trims. For that you would require an aftermarket ECU/data acquisition software. i don't believe that there is much support out there for the 90-93 Accord ECU's as far as live data tools.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                    I agree that on an OEM ECU setup there really isn't much to watch as far as AFRs go. It can give you a heads up if you are also able to monitor your ECU's short term and long term fuel trims. For that you would require an aftermarket ECU/data acquisition software. i don't believe that there is much support out there for the 90-93 Accord ECU's as far as live data tools.
                    So what you talking about willis. You saying that a stock car with a wideband o2 is useless. I would like to have it now and see where my air fuel is when driving on highway. I know i am running rich. Just not sure how much by and when.

Comment

If your just using it as a monitoring tool it will work fine.

Although if you are far enough out of the OEM specs as far as the ECU, your car should be throwing a CEL for something.
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Being able to read your short and long term fuel trims would be more advantageous for this type of troubleshooting. If you are simply using the wideband as a diagnostics tool that is a lot of work for a small sampling of what is really going on with your engine.

There are cheaper ways to see if your car is running rich.
                        Black smoke on your bumper.
                        Dry blackened Spark plugs.
                        Extremely low MPG

Sure a wideband will show you that it's burning rich, but you seem to already know that. Now what? What are you looking to get from reading the air fuel ratios in your exhasut gas to help you fix a rich running engine?
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                          Being able to read your short and long term fuel trims would be more advantageous for this type of troubleshooting. If you are simply using the wideband as a diagnostics tool that is a lot of work for a small sampling of what is really going on with your engine.

There are cheaper ways to see if your car is running rich.
                          Black smoke on your bumper.
                          Dry blackened Spark plugs.
                          Extremely low MPG

Sure a wideband will show you that it's burning rich, but you seem to already know that. Now what? What are you looking to get from reading the air fuel ratios in your exhasut gas to help you fix a rich running engine?
                          Like presently i would like to know when i am running rich. As after a highway drive my car leans out in the city for a bit then goes back to running really rich after 30-40 miles. How rich and the transformation it takes i am not sure about. I'd like to see exactly to confirm my strong suspicions. Do i want to spend the money and work on this, well no of course not. As i got other things i need on car like a new tranny(currently no working 5th gear) and an alarm system. I think i'll get my IM cleaned first and then see how car runs. But having a wideband seems useful to me in future. After talking to yall though it seems not so useful, lol.

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                          If your just using it as a monitoring tool it will work fine.

Although if you are far enough out of the OEM specs as far as the ECU, your car should be throwing a CEL for something.
                          No cel whatsoever. I don't think the obd1 ecu monitors much but that's a guess.
                          Last edited by zedjr10; 02-24-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Give'er
                            MR Thread
                            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X