CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Audio/Electronics

Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
I found a 99$ FPGA that I want to use for digitally controlling features like locks, horns, lights, etc. Like a CAN system

YouTube Clicky!!
sonikaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
EsperHamid
CB7tuner Member

EsperHamid is cool... so far.
would be nice if you could translate it into detailed DIY for your fellow members ^___^
EsperHamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
Kamatari+
CB7tuner Member

Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends! Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends!
Hey guys, just some updates on the project.

I am going to use blue-tooth as my choice of communication. I ordered a HC-05 blue tooth module. The module has a 30 foot range. The upside is the module was only $7.54 with shipping. The down side is that the module will take 2-3 more weeks to get here from hong kong.

I'm going to connect my Android phone to the Arduino via bluetooth to send and receive my commands. I found a guide where the user wrote up his own android app which will communicate with the previously mentioned bluetooth module to command the arduino. (linked below)

Bluetooth Module

Links
ArduDroid: A Simple 2-Way Bluetooth-based Android Controller for Arduino
30ft Wireless Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module serial RS232 TTL HC-05 for arduino

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
"The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
"That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote
Kamatari+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
Kamatari+
CB7tuner Member

Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends! Kamatari+ seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp[mike] View Post
i can appreciate this thread! i work with electronics as a hobby and plan to do similar vehicle integration. have you ever thought about GPS and/or GSM(cell) ?
[...]
I personally feel programming skills are very valuable to have, especially used on real world hardware implementations like this. keep up the good work!
Thank you for your input! I love working on this car and fixing it up, and sometimes it's just more fun to do something different. I haven't considered GPS or GSM integration, but those sound like phenomenal ideas. I might do it in the future if I can get the funding, but I'm keeping my costs as low as possible for this current project. I already had an arduino, so far I only had to purchase mosfets and a bluetooth module. GSM would be amazing as there is no physical limit between the car and your position. Imagine texting your car to lock, unlock, switch to 12V, acc, etc. The GPS module looks like it has quite a few amazing uses in that linked project as well!

I have been following your project quietly a little bit after you posted it initially, and I still think it's a great idea with much potential for entertainment. I would like to see the outcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
I found a 99$ FPGA that I want to use for digitally controlling features like locks, horns, lights, etc. Like a CAN system
I'm not fully familiar, but if I understand correctly, a bus-can system is like a controller? Still, sounds cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsperHamid View Post
would be nice if you could translate it into detailed DIY for your fellow members ^___^
I would absolutely love to, and intend to. As of right now, the project is a bit sloppy. I can't promise a time line, but when I can, I will make a DIY.

"The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
"That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

It's more like a language in the electronics world. It's how the devices "talk" to each other. It would go great with your Arduino project.

You could have a central "brain" that interfaces with you and the outside world. This brain will translate certain conditions into CAN language and can control certain aspects of the car.

For example, say you have a rain sensor installed on your car and you leave your windows down while you're away. You could code the brain to say "Hey, it's raining now. Are the windows up? No? Ok, I'll roll them up." It's a bit more complicated than that of course but full of potential.

YouTube Clicky!!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #26
Kamatari+
CB7tuner Member

Update #3

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait. I'm still working on this project! All updates are added on the first post!

Update #3

Been busy busy! My daughter was born last month, I might have a new job prospect, and life is just changing rapidly. Now I have a little time to set aside to get back to this project!

My blue tooth-module arrived, but I needed some more items to make this project easier to work on. I ordered an assortment of resistors (bottom left) that I needed to bring down the transmission voltage for the Arduino, and some breadboard prototyping wire (top left). Before getting the prototype wire I just spliced and twisted wire until it fit in the Arduino. This was a pain as I spent too much time trying to perfect the wires which failed occasionally, causing me to trouble shoot broken connections instead of moving forward with prototyping.

I put everything together, (no pictures yet, sorry ) and was able to connect my phone to the BT module. So far Phone <-> BT module <-> Arduino works. I haven't actually coded the arduino for the BT module yet, so I haven't tried using the BT module to switch anything off or on. Just wanted to make a quick update so no one thinks I stopped progress

Last edited by Kamatari+; 07-02-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

Congrats!! She's going to take all your time from you fyi...

What are you using those resistors for? Is it to bring the Arduino Tx voltage down for the bluetooth module?

YouTube Clicky!!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #28
Kamatari+
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
Congrats!! She's going to take all your time from you fyi...

What are you using those resistors for? Is it to bring the Arduino Tx voltage down for the bluetooth module?
Thanks , a month later and this is too true. She really is eating away at my time, but I don't mind

Yes! That's exactly what I needed them for. The arduino Tx needed to match the HC-05 module voltage of 3.3V. I actually only needed one 1K and one 2K resistor, but this pack of 600 assorted resistors was only $6+shipping. Now I have plenty to play with for the project, and many for future, down the road projects as well! Much cheaper than how much I paid per resistor pack from spark fun or what I could have paid through radio shack.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #29
stevediraddo
CB7tuner Member

stevediraddo is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to stevediraddo
I've done the arduino - bluetooth RN-42 - relays to various control surfaces. The arduino is surprisingly insanely sensitive to automotive voltage spikes. You're going to want to put a regulator around the whole lot of it to cut off those nasty spikes and dips.

I was careful to drive a transistor from the arduino which in turn drove a relay, all using double regulated voltages, but after a while they began to break down and the relays would only respond 9 out of 10 times. I scrapped it all and started over from scratch but haven't had the time.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)
stevediraddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #30
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamatari+ View Post
Thanks , a month later and this is too true. She really is eating away at my time, but I don't mind

Yes! That's exactly what I needed them for. The arduino Tx needed to match the HC-05 module voltage of 3.3V. I actually only needed one 1K and one 2K resistor, but this pack of 600 assorted resistors was only $6+shipping. Now I have plenty to play with for the project, and many for future, down the road projects as well! Much cheaper than how much I paid per resistor pack from spark fun or what I could have paid through radio shack.
Voltage divider? If you experience some strange communication issues, try a level shifter ic as a buffer between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevediraddo View Post
I've done the arduino - bluetooth RN-42 - relays to various control surfaces. The arduino is surprisingly insanely sensitive to automotive voltage spikes. You're going to want to put a regulator around the whole lot of it to cut off those nasty spikes and dips.

I was careful to drive a transistor from the arduino which in turn drove a relay, all using double regulated voltages, but after a while they began to break down and the relays would only respond 9 out of 10 times. I scrapped it all and started over from scratch but haven't had the time.
Sounds like you needed more filtering. I would have liked to see the debugging of the circuit.

YouTube Clicky!!

Tags
arduino , ece , future , locks , power locks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: