CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > DIYs > Suspension DIYs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #81
OnE eYe GuY
CB7tuner Member

OnE eYe GuY is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to OnE eYe GuY
alright, so ive been reading this, and according to the information ive found, i can only do the rear disc conversion by using junkyard parts. I hate to say this but around my area there are never any cars newer than 1980 in the junkyards. and if there are, theyre already stripped.im doing a 5 lug swap/rear disc conversion. the 5 lug is pretty straight forward, i just need the rotor/hub to do it. for the rear disc conversion im having a couple issues. exactly what parts do i need? i have rear calipers, rear rotors, and the hubs. am i going to need trailing arms? hydraulic lines? i need a list of what i need so i can go into honda tomorrow and order everything.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06
OnE eYe GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #82
Gripology
CB7tuner Member

Gripology is cool... so far.
if you look at page 4 you will find a diagram of the drum setup and the disc setup. you might (don't know what you've bought so far) have a the parts you need already.

'91 Wagon

So far it's ugly:
Injen short ram, DIY Grill, Arospeed F/R Strut bars, SS Brake Lines, AEM pads, drum to disc swap, Brembo drilled & slotted rotors
Gripology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #83
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
In addition to what you already have, you will also need the rear knuckle from a rear disc CB7. The drum knuckles DO NOT have an accomodation for the rear caliper mounting.

Some people claim that 94-97 knuckles also work, but everyone I have run across places the lower control arms an additional inch apart. You can't get around that without machining the knuckle or changing the rear subframe. I have seen internet DIYs that did successfully use a 94-97 set of knuckles with no modification, so it is likely that there were just two slightly different rear suspensions.

If you are doing the rear 5 lug, it may also be possible to use the rear knuckles from a 1997-2001 Prelude.

There is a DIY on it here somewhere... I will see if I can find it.

The brake lines are different, so you will probably need those, and the e brake cables as well.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #84
SSMAccord
CB7tuner Member

SSMAccord seems to have made some friends! SSMAccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Yahoo to SSMAccord
Quote:
Originally Posted by owequitit
In addition to what you already have, you will also need the rear knuckle from a rear disc CB7. The drum knuckles DO NOT have an accomodation for the rear caliper mounting.

Some people claim that 94-97 knuckles also work, but everyone I have run across places the lower control arms an additional inch apart. You can't get around that without machining the knuckle or changing the rear subframe. I have seen internet DIYs that did successfully use a 94-97 set of knuckles with no modification, so it is likely that there were just two slightly different rear suspensions.

If you are doing the rear 5 lug, it may also be possible to use the rear knuckles from a 1997-2001 Prelude.

There is a DIY on it here somewhere... I will see if I can find it.

The brake lines are different, so you will probably need those, and the e brake cables as well.
the CD knuckle is an inch longer, but i can work with the lower arms on a CB, as long as you have the longer bolt from a CD. Also, CD e-brake cables are too long to operate correctly, so stick with CB cables and everything should go smoothly.
SSMAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #85
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMAccord
the CD knuckle is an inch longer, but i can work with the lower arms on a CB, as long as you have the longer bolt from a CD. Also, CD e-brake cables are too long to operate correctly, so stick with CB cables and everything should go smoothly.
When I had the CD knuckle, a longer bolt wasn't going to solve the problem. The front lower control arm lined up perfectly, but the rear control arm wanted to sit on the OUTSIDE of the rear subframe. That is where the change of rear subframe came in. You can either machine an inch off of the knuckle, so that the rear lower arm will sit in the right spot, you can change the rear lower subframe, which supposedly bolts up, so that you can accomodate the 1 inch spacing difference, or you can get a CB rear disk knuckle. A longer bolt wasn't going to solve the problem.

Also, the CD ebrake cables that I had bolted up to the CB chassis perfectly...
Old 03-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #86
SSMAccord
CB7tuner Member

SSMAccord seems to have made some friends! SSMAccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Yahoo to SSMAccord
Odd... my swap used CD5 rear knuckles mated to my cb7 control arms and the only thing i needed was the longer bolt. If I was with my car i would photograph it and upload the pics.(spring break is next week, i'll have time to take photos) But, given my experience, CD knuckles can be used with the CB7 subframe.
SSMAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #87
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

Like I said before, there appears to be two different versions of CD rear suspensions. Mine wasn't going to fit a CB and there are people who have said that theirs did. Mine were from a coupe, although I have also seen at least one four door with the odd spacing as well.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #88
4thgenaccord
CB7tuner Member

4thgenaccord should be shot.
Do you have problems finding replacement pads??? I called my local Advance Auto and they said they dont carry rear pads for the 90-93 accords.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 AM   #89
dualacord
CB7tuner Member

dualacord is cool... so far.
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgenaccord
Do you have problems finding replacement pads??? I called my local Advance Auto and they said they dont carry rear pads for the 90-93 accords.
No problems at all.

My ride
dualacord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #90
LoDollar92LX
Mr.Horsepower

LoDollar92LX is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to LoDollar92LX
i just did my conversion on the car today. the rear knuckle assemblys cost me 75 bucks, and it took an hour and a half to install them. i also got the ex rear swaybar and threw that on there also. pretty slick swap if u ask me. brakes seem better too.

instagram @mikeymeyagi
LoDollar92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #91
Spartan1987
CB7tuner Member

Spartan1987 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Send a message via MSN to Spartan1987
I really should do this.
Maybe after I get my rims and new tires mounted...
Bump for a good DIY.
Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
My (old) Ride
Spartan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #92
Abeerdrinker
CB7tuner Member

Abeerdrinker is cool... so far.
Send a message via ICQ to Abeerdrinker Send a message via AIM to Abeerdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to Abeerdrinker
I finally did my rear disc conversion. I did 4 projects in one since my car was gonna sit on the lift for a while. So I did a SS 2.5 exhaust with a header to muffler and I did a sus drop to 3 inches with AGx's and Tenz coilovers. Since my exhaust was off and my shocks where taken out I decided to do the rear drum to rear discs as well. I must say the most annoying part was the removal of the heat shields since most of the bolts was so rusted. Other then that it was a very very easy straight forward exchange. You must have a cordless impac gun. I really didnt car if the bolts broke since I cut the bottom shock bolts anyhow with new bolts on hand. I did motor mount inserts except for the front which I am waiting to buy from a Cb7tuner member and finally put my VC on

O yeah I had to change my Oil sensor since my oil light kicked in to ruin my weekend of work. You can see the little box on the ground
Old 05-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #93
buckt3
CB7tuner Member

buckt3 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to buckt3 Send a message via Yahoo to buckt3
Question

I got a 96 (CD) Complette rear end for free so i swaped it. The only ploblem i am having is the brakes go to the floor i blead all the brakes and it still goes to the floor. And comments world be useful.
buckt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #94
timmy0tool
Accord of the Month: April 2006

timmy0tool is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool
the obvious answer is that you have a leak on a line somewhere. check to make sure you didn't leave a bleeder valve open. also make sure your brake lines are attached correctly. when i did my swap my master cylinder took a crap so it may also be that. keep checking for leaks and get back to us.
1cor10:31
- 92 LX coupe
- 96 EX wagon (sold)
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:23 AM   #95
buckt3
CB7tuner Member

no leaks, master cylinder new (honda), ss flex lines, new front and rear pads (honda), new front calipers (honda). Still low brake!! I even power blead the brakes still low .
Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #96
timmy0tool
Accord of the Month: April 2006

timmy0tool is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool
can you tell me your method to bleeding the brakes? when doing the entire system you have to start from the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. then work you way towards the closest one.
1cor10:31
- 92 LX coupe
- 96 EX wagon (sold)
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #97
buckt3
CB7tuner Member

I have a power bleader and yes i start at the passenger rear tire then the driver rear, passenger front, driver front
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #98
Night Wolf
CB7tuner Member

Night Wolf seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Night Wolf
what are all the parts that Ill need for doing this conversion?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)-01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan-(CURRENT)
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #99
sublime
Contributing Member

sublime is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to sublime
i need to do this swap asap...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #100
bakedaccord_90
CB7tuner Member

bakedaccord_90 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to bakedaccord_90 Send a message via Yahoo to bakedaccord_90
i have the parts just sitting there in my room
i need to make sure i have all the parts
so i can do this swap soon

Canon XTI | 28-135mm IS USM | 18-55mm kit lens | 50mm 1.8 II
bakedaccord_90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake , swap

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: