Too many cars thread: FB RX-7 vs BB6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many cars thread: FB RX-7 vs BB6

I have hinted in a few posts around the forum that I have inherited a first gen RX-7, a black '85 GS to be specific. That brings our total car count to 5 and makes our driveway look like a used car lot. It's time for me to make a decision, well for you all to help me make a decision. For fairness, I'll be posting this in the RX-7 forums as well.

My 2001 Prelude was going to be a test mule/learn how to race car where I would try to execute a few of my wild ideas in my head once my life settled down a bit. This car would NEVER(read: very difficult) be truly competitive in my class if I were to register it, and I would literally have to go balls out and probably still get whooped by Miatas and CRXs.

The RX-7 is an interesting vehicle. I have not seen this generation on the road at all in my entire life, not that I was really looking or anything. It definitely gets points for obscurity and uniqueness. It is bone stock, 12a carb'd rotary engine, classic FR car, very lightweight at about 2200-2300 pounds. The perfect platform to learn to race in, right? I have not really driven it due to the clutch disintegrating on me. (I should make a thread about that)

There is another option...keep the engine and trans out of the Prelude and get into a CB wagon. I was considering trading our '08 Accord for a TSX wagon, that's why I thought about that lol.

Anyway, what does the community say? Keep the Prelude or keep the RX-7?

YouTube Clicky!!

If the rx7 is in good/restorable condition, I’d stick with that. Though if you plan on racing or heavily modifying it, maybe not. It’s a great drivable collector car, but modding it to make it a competitive racer against modern cars will be expensive, and it’ll likely ruin any collector value in the car.
    The Prelude is a great car, but I see what you mean by not being competitive. It’s heavy. Not unwieldy, but it takes more power to move that bulk, and more time and tire to push it into a corner. If it’s not suiting your needs in any capacity, I say that’s the one to go.
    I do like the idea of an H22 CB9... :-)

Comment

Balls out. The owner of this one is confident it would beat his brand new Lotus Evora around a track:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=387538

But really, if those two cars were in my garage, I'd keep the RX-7 and do a full factory restoration on it. Japanese classics are making a big come-up and it'll be worth quite a bit later. In the real world, I'm doing that H22 CB9 thing, and wouldn't have it any other way.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-06-2018, 08:39 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        But really, if those two cars were in my garage, I'd keep the RX-7 and do a full factory restoration on it. Japanese classics are making a big come-up and it'll be worth quite a bit later. In the real world, I'm doing that H22 CB9 thing, and wouldn't have it any other way.
        You're not wrong about Japanese cars coming up.

I'm stick kicking myself on the 60k Z32 TT I didn't buy for 10K three years ago.

Comment

It's in pretty good condition, just needs some love and some paint. It'll be more of a restomod type project as the GS trim levels aren't that desirable compared to the GSL-SE (with the fuel injected 13b, 4 wheel discs, LSD, better wheel bolt pattern etc.)

As far as racing, if my skills begin to exceed the stock car then I'll do mild but reversible mods. Mostly wheel and tire stuff or component swaps from the upper trim level.

I was looking at his thread not too long ago, talk about a build!

There are 8 5th gen wagons on Autotrader, none on ebay, let's try FB marketplace.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

What sort of racing do you plan on doing? Autocross or time trial stuff might be alright, but if you’re out there potentially trading paint, you may not like what happens to that classic!

The Prelude is also increasing in value. Though SH models are the ones people want, I think.

Comment

Mostly autocross, maybe graduating to a bit of HPDE. NO DRIFTING!!! at least with this one. It'll be street driven on sunny and warm days. I sound like an old person lol. Maybe add an IMSA style body kit and wing.

I would have kept the Lude stock-ish if I bought it that way. Lesson learned, always buy stock cars or cars that can be returned to stock.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That’s how I feel. I hate irreversible mods!
                Of course, I drilled 36 holes in my Miata last year to install new frame rails... that was worth it though!

Comment

RX7 100%. The fact the car isn’t in perfect condition is perfect for what you’re trying to do, man. Just do heavy suspension/chassis stiffening modifications with great tires, remove the interior for track days and you’re set. After doing the clutch of course.

I can see you doing a badass Mega Squirt system to make it EFI. Then you can learn mapping while you go cross

Blasphemy to some, but engine swaps are VERY feasible with the RX7’s because of the transmission tunnel do to the Wankel crank position. They fit everything.

I am a firm believer that cars are meant to be driven. Don’t care how old it is. Everything is fixable. I’m stoked for you regardless. If I can help let me know!

Edit: Deev, update your damn MRT.

Comment

Working...
                  X