Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Exterior replica parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior replica parts

I am looking @ a few replica exterior parts. I have found a grille and foglights that are non original. Is there any problem with using them or does anybody have any negative results that they have had from replica parts?

So far for me, there are no negative comments. I was looking into buying a grille from amazon but decided against it after looking at the DIY grilles on the beginner appearance page. Whenever i buy an aftermarket part, i always tell myself be prepared to accept it may or may not fit. For example, i bought an aftermarket antenna mast. It didnt fit onto my oem antenna motor base. I had to modify a few things to make it work. So botttom line, its your decison if u want to take the risk and deal with returning it. Good luck.

Comment

I found that CAPA certified bumper covers from LKQ didn't fit well (particularly the rear); I have used "reconditioned" OEM covers without a problem. For antenna masts go to Bridgewood Motorsports; I have used their masts in dozens of antennas without a problem.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

It depends on the brand, really. Some OEM replacement parts can be VERY poorly made (I've seen some truly crappy replacement grilles in my time!). Others can be indistinguishable from a factory part. Unfortunately, with the huge variety of replacement part suppliers out there, finding useful information about any specific product may be difficult.
        I have noticed that as these cars get older, many of the better-known aftermarket part companies seem to change suppliers. I don't know if the change was overall, or just for cars that are declining in popularity... but some companies seem to show a drop in part quality from their earlier days (Moog is an example of this... they used to be considered nearly as good as OEM, now, they're quite questionable.)

Comment

I am actually looking @ a replica aftermarket grill kind of like G Square.

Comment

on my cousins car at least, i see that the DEPO (or were they SONAR?) red and clear tail lights don't line up well with the body lines because of the mold used to make the holder for the f0ur bolts for mounting them....makes the lights sit slightly crooked... not straight like OEM.

he did find some replica fog lamps, though. i assume they sell them now on eBay?
            he bought them because the previous ones he bought had rust in the reflector. the lense quality i say is pretty similar, except the harness. "MADE IN TAIWAN"

he also bought a badgeless 92-93 front grille. flimsy, but pulls the look.

i say just do a search on eBay and see what looks good enough to be on your cars' exterior. if you have to, there is always a D.I.Y. project you can envision.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

Many knockoff things can be junk. Be sure to do your research.
              One of our members made the Blizzgrille, which was a well made reproduction. I've had mine for years. Getting rid of it now that my cb7 was wrecked. Never installed the thing one of 30 made.

Comment

I have seen your pics of the grille. I like it, but I have had my eyes on a chargespeed grille forever. I found a replica, but can't find the real thing. Not only that, the real thing would be double the price of the replica! I like how the chargespeed incorporates the headlight eyebrows.

Comment

I do as well. We used to have a guy making replicas on here, but we nearly got sued by Chargespeed for simply allowing it to be sold on this site. At that time, I believe the grille was still in production. I haven't looked in a very long time, but I assume it has since been discontinued.
                  I'm not a big supporter of replica parts unless they're copies of discontinued items. Replicas purchased instead of authentic parts tell the makers of the authentic parts that you don't want their stuff... therefore, they stop making new things. Knockoffs of in-production parts absolutely kill our aftermarket. It's shrinking fast enough already!

Comment

So, are you saying it's not a good idea? I can guarantee I won't find another probably ever.

Comment

If Chargespeed no longer makes them new, then I say go for it. If they do still make them, I can't encourage you to buy a knockoff. Supporting companies that copy existing products is the fastest way to kill our already dying aftermarket.
                      I just briefly checked their site, and it seems that they no longer make anything at all for any Accord.

Comment

I ended up buying the replica grille. I did contact chargespeed as well just to see if they might have a few extras laying around the warehouse.

Comment

Working...
                        X